C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The story of The Baldwin-Motion Phase III Supercar Experience . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 11:19 AM
FastCarsNMeanGuitars
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Default The story of The Baldwin-Motion Phase III Supercar Experience . . .

. . . For the performance-minded, there was the comfort of Joel " Mr.Motion "Rosen’s guarantee, which stated simply, “We think so much of our Phase III Supercars that we guarantee they will turn at least 120mph in 11.50 seconds or better with an M/P-approved driver on an AHRA or NHRA-sanctioned drag strip.” According to reports, there was never a customer that needed to demand satisfaction using the guarantee. With this approach to business and the availability of a wide range of unique styling options, the Baldwin-Motion operation grew and was considered among the best in the business.

With the passing of the C2 Corvette and its replacement with the Mako Shark-inspired 1968 model, the public’s appreciation of big block performance did not decline. Big block ‘Vette sales grew to 12,627 from 9,707 in 1967. The following year, total number of big-block Corvettes climbed again to 15,343 – representing almost 40 percent of that year’s production.

Writing in the November, 2002 edition of VETTE, Marty Schorr explained, “What most people never realized at the time was that Mr. Motion, the man who turned a simple Camaro engine swap (adding 31cui and 50hp) in 1967 into the stuff that legends are made of, was actually a die-hard Corvette enthusiast.” That enthusiasm boiled over in 1969.

Starting with a leftover 1968 435hp coupe, Rosen installed a 500hp Phase III engine along with headers and the 1969-only optional factory outside exhaust system. A 1050cfm Holley carburetor topped a high rise alloy intake manifold and special Motion valve covers were added. Chassis mods saw new springs, shock absorbers and traction bars installed to handle the power increase.

Rosen had plans to introduce the Phase II GT at the upcoming New York International Auto Show and knew that he would need more than under hood changes to make a splash. The coupe’s back window was removed and the opening reworked to accept a fastback-type rear glass.

This opened a new area for storage and so, it was finished to match the rest of the car’s interior. The exterior treatment was further extended by adding a functional Phase III hood, functional side vents, flared wheel wells and streamlined outside mirrors. Wide, slotted alloy wheels and Goodyear Polyglas tires improved the stance of the car filled out the flares.

A special, Monza Red paint job was used in conjunction with unique black striping to distinguish the car visually. It was enough to get the car onto the August 1969 cover of CARS magazine. Corvette chief engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov, stopped by the exhibit and encouraged Rosen to build customer cars.

And so, they did, however, the extensive modifications involved resulted in a doubling of the car’s price and there were not many customers that could jump on that deal. It was not, however, for a lack of performance. One of the cars, built with air conditioning and powered by a blueprinted 535hp 454 V8, was documented as achieving 0-to-60 mph in 4.4 seconds with a top speed of over 150 mph prior to delivery.

Nestled among European exotics at the 1969 New York Auto Show, the Baldwin-Motion Corvette would prove to be an exotic car in its own right.

Only ten custom-built Phase III GT Corvettes were produced between 1969 and 1971. Out of the approximately five hundred Baldwin-Motion cars built between 1967 and 1974, they are among the most prized. Rosen would continue to experiment and build further on the Corvette platform, resulting in a few more unique and highly revered legends being added to the bank of Corvette folklore. . . Marty Schorr.

Outstanding on air interview of Joel Rosen and Marty Schorr by K. Scott Teeters of The Corvette Report.

You'll learn these were not just Hot Rods, but legitimate Super Cars Engineered to perform. They set records at the racetrack on Sundays and took orders for them on Mondays. Pay close attention to how many were made where and when and by who. Great Picturess and Historical Content!

Transcripts of interviews :

http://www.corvettereport.com/an-int...rr-joel-rosen/

http://www.corvettereport.com/the-mo...ii/#more-11910

http://www.corvettereport.com/interv...l-schorr-pt-1/

http://www.corvettereport.com/interv...t-2/#more-3557

Articles and more :

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...iii-supercars/

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...i-gt-corvette/

http://www.corvettereport.com/the-last-baldwin-motion-phase-iii-gt-corvette/

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/muscle-cars-you-should-know-71-baldwin-motion-phase-iii-gt/

edit : The Intro content was written by Marty Schorr in Vette Mag and is the last link above.

Last edited by FastCarsNMeanGuitars; 03-18-2023 at 06:59 PM. Reason: credit content and add link to it
The following 5 users liked this post by FastCarsNMeanGuitars:
67:72 (03-20-2023), Hopper12 (03-16-2023), Rescue Rogers (03-15-2023), sw69vette (03-17-2023), Tuna Joe (03-20-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 01:23 PM
Bandit54
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

I wish you hadn’t posted this article!! I was planing on doing the rear glass to my ‘68 a few months back and changed my mind because of trying to come up with the glass was almost impossible. So I dropped the idea but after seeing the posting and good weather is coming it’s back on the table I’m going to look at doing the back glass I’m my T-top. Thanks for the boost.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:16 AM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I like the mods to the rear and the paint scheme, but, the hood and headlights just don't do it for me. The headlights remind me of a Datsun 240-Z; using a '67 scoop on a C3 just doesn't fit the styling. Better would be the C3 L-88/ZL hood or go with a modified Mako show car hood.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:38 AM
Bandit54
Burning Brakes

I agree, I really like the design of the rear window. My current project a '68 is a copy of different vehicles. Front end FIA headlights and wiper cover. Hood L88, Fender flairs L88 front and rear. The rear window is the last modification I plan on doing to the body. Paint scheme is up in the air till I see the body in primer. The drive train is currently a 454 LS6, Muncie 4-speed, Hone-O-drive overdrive, and 4:11 differential. Most of the modification ideas come from articles like this posting. Thanks for the posting.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:56 PM
Tuna Joe
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 96 Posts

Anyone care to explain what the Hone-O-drive did and its purpose?
I know it was an overdrive but how was it adapted to the strip or street racing?
Old 03-20-2023, 06:04 PM
Bandit54
Burning Brakes

The Hone-O-Drive is basically a in-line gear box with 2 gear selection. Which is mounted between the transmission and the rear end. One gear is straight through (1:1) the other gear is an overdrive (0.7:1). With the current gear I have in the rear end I can select either a 4:11 or a 2.88:1 while in overdrive.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:14 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,056 Likes on 1,936 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Bandit54
The Hone-O-Drive is basically a in-line gear box with 2 gear selection. Which is mounted between the transmission and the rear end. One gear is straight through (1:1) the other gear is an overdrive (0.7:1). With the current gear I have in the rear end I can select either a 4:11 or a 2.88:1 while in overdrive.
Are these still in production today?
What is the cost of one of these?

Last edited by 68hemi; 03-20-2023 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:21 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,316 Likes on 856 Posts

Love the rear window, Firebird tail lights, not so much. Thx for posting.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:09 PM
Tuna Joe
Pro

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Are these still in production today?
What is the cost of one of these?
There is a NOS one on EBay right now for around 6-$7,000
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27575233027...Bk9SR6ylpaLgYQ
Old 03-22-2023, 01:59 PM
Tuna Joe
Pro

Don't mean to derail this thread, but apparently Joel Rosen is no longer authenticating Motion cars.
I was trying to get in touch with him to attempt to authenticate my corvette L89 purchase that was supposedly a Motion conversion.
All his numbers are disconnected and the emails get kicked back.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:20 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,009 Posts

The Schorr guy does most of the talking now, and they are getting their own history wrong.

The Phase III started and could be added as early as 1967. The first C3 cars were done for the 1968 model year. A Phase III could be the base engine, with hopped up performance changes. The distinction of the GT cars, yes those were total package cars, it is thought that 10 total were built. In the modern they have Phase III and Phase III GT cars mixed together, some of the Phase III level builds, are now wrongly being called Phase III GT's. People read the old articles and the offerings. They were a Day Two Speed shop basically, The GT was meant to be a turn key, buy it straight done model, but their history is so complex, as they gave the customers whatever they wanted to order. Anything they sold, they would install. Thus a whole lot of cars with claimed Motion histories. Don't get me wrong, but some of the just Phase III, non GT cars are pretty heavily optioned. Not all guys liked the 240Z styled headlights, nor the Duct vents, etc.. In my option, there are just a few of the Phase III GTs, that did have a few styling options deleted or changed.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-23-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:02 AM
FastCarsNMeanGuitars
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes Sir indeed. One was a famous Drag car with a stroker and Hone Drive :

https://carguychronicles.com/motion-...-from-baldwin/

Marty and Joel are getting older so everybody has trouble remembering 50 years ago. Fortunately they did alot of articles in many publications to keep the periods intact.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/202...ign=2020-05-14

For those trying to document cars, Joel has passed his data and torch onto Kasey Alford :

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175091

Its a service and has a price structure . . . OR . . .

You have to collect all the data you can and assemble your own time line and lineage. Joel was rodding cars since the 50's and well into the decades that followed. Just in the articles alone that I posted above they discuss the numbers and distinction of Baldwin Motion factory cars and Motion performance cars as well as Motion Conversions.

I think it is important to understand here that we are not dealing in NCRS world with the often abused term " CORRECT ". We are dealing with real Hot Rods with work personally performed by a LEGEND. Find me a Shelby Cobra, one that Carroll worked on himself. You'll find very knowledgeable people and cars that reflect it.

Now, please understand, with a Motion car you will find lineage from Carroll Shelby, Duntov the Great as well as NHRA record books. The level of knowledgeable people to follow along here is no where up to speed yet. That is why I post these articles, to grow the knowledge base.

You have several periods of Joel Rosen here. Young Joel Rosen into Motion Performance, Motion Pre Baldwin Chevrolet which also has overlap with Motion Performance Post Baldwin. You have DOJ Cease and Decist Period and you have Post Baldwin mixed in with Motion parts business in play as well. That includes race engine packages both street and marine. Huge amounts of advertisement materials supports this. Especially for documentation purposes.

The problem lies in the parts availability. Both installed during the period correct time as well as the parts removed over the years for NCRS trailer queens. Now factor in the profiteers who want to build **** for Barrett Jackson or make counterfeits. Those asshats.

So here you HAVE to factor in on the key things that made these cars what they were engineered to do. I'm not going to give a class, because I would prefer that those interested just take the time to read and observe and it should all make sense. Joel set up cars in a VERY specific way, just like Carroll Shelby did.

Doing so will help you spot the real cars and the others. It will also help you along thinking about what Joel was able to document himself in addition to the ones he provided authentication for. Some who try to document cars as dealers or investment pitches really stretch the facts a very long way. Often making obvious mistakes. Conversely, buyers or auction watchers often make mistakes on what they assume and mostly what the Do Not Know !

Best bet is open up conversation, read comments on articles and do your own research. In these cases its fun, eye opening and rewarding when you spot parts at the swap meets !

edit: structure

Last edited by FastCarsNMeanGuitars; 05-12-2023 at 04:05 AM. Reason: add paragraphs and punctuation

Get notified of new replies

To The story of The Baldwin-Motion Phase III Supercar Experience . . .

Quick Reply: The story of The Baldwin-Motion Phase III Supercar Experience . . .