Sponsored by:

69 ZL1 for sale eBay

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 09:04 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by 67 Topdown
I own and have restored a ZL1 Motor Casting number 3946052, Foundry Date 4 10 69 287, and Tonawanda White Room Stamping TO605MG. How would this motor fit in your data base?
Spoiler

Sorry I missed this post. We were pretty close to wrapping it up. I was still looking into some stuff, but would like to get my participation in the topic ZL-1 etc. moved over to my Enthusiast Rare Car Registry Thread with new shares, etc. Just way behind on doing fun stuff.

Yes the date and the Serial number look to be in perfect progression, of the pace for which these 052 blocks were made. Pretty straight forward. I think the first batches of these came in November 68, and then they ramped up production in groups of 25 at a time. The pacing, not sure if we calcuated in groups of 25, that we would ever get a precise count daily, but the block finds, give us enough related to when they were done. Yes if someone was truly energetic, they could probably pull in Camaro ZL-1 engines and better timeline the manufacturing run of these pieces. I am going to say, that the parts supply to the racers, was a higher priority than Production/COPO car runs. The Yellow ZL-1 Vin is pretty late, getting this build together, just as ZL-1 was being cancelled, and some of the COPO Camaros came pretty late in the scheme of things.

What I am on the lookout for is any ZL-1 block pre-1969, any low serial number ones and their date. I am looking for one book I know I have showing a color picture of the group of ZL-1 Corvette cars in Zora's fleet. Hope to find that soon! I got too much stuff to look thru. I just don't seem to ever have the time to just leaf thru my collection, as life just gets in the way. I was trying to figure out the true timeline on 1963 Corvette development, get actual dates for like the showing of the completed XP-720 coupe, and then the same for the Convertible. They rolled into the Pilot line car production, but the date on that is sketchy also, some think early cars done July or August. Come September 1962, they were finally at the point where the 1963 model was approved. The actual build dates for the Pilot line 1963 cars is all over the place. Just the type of mystery stuff I love to solve. I was also attempting to unravel out the back door 1965 Big Block HDSP/M22 Competition kits or cars that got out into the wild. We have Gorries getting M22 right prior to the 1966 model introduction, and even looking to fit the Tracy Ebay being sold 1965 M22 that has a serial number. Then looking at a 1965 Herb Caplan car and a Rex Ramsey car that got HDSP/M22 but in 396, not the 427 of the 1966 year. So I am busy, just haven't been posting any of it up, lately.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-21-2024 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 69 ZL1 for sale eBay