Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: SOLD G-Force Street 5 Speed Complete "Kit"

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 08:37 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,998 Likes on 680 Posts

Default SOLD G-Force Street 5 Speed Complete "Kit"

Eleven years ago, I began the challenging project of installing a 5 speed in my '66 L79 convertible. But, rather than follow the crowd and buy a TKO600 kit (all of the guys reporting driveline vibration issues scared me away), I elected to follow the lead of a select few and install a Tremec T5 in my car. I selected the parts carefully, choosing the most "robust" T5 for my application - a 1352-196 model - a GM World Class T5 from an '89 Camaro. I paired that with a mechanical bellhousing from an '83 Camaro - a very rare, one-year only part. With the major components, I sourced the remaining parts and made a few of the others myself . . . notably the trans mount and shifter handle. The T5 transformed my car and allowed me to enjoy it like I had never enjoyed it in the 38 years I had owned it to that point. With a .63 overdrive, it allowed me to drive it everywhere (the 4:11 gears was the underlying issues before) and I found a new appreciation for it. Over the past 11 years, I've driven it on many long distance trips (twice to Pittsburgh (@ 250 miles each way), to the Outer Banks for NC, and many shorter trips in between, accumulating @ 8,000 miles along the way!

After running the T5 for @ a year, the year after I installed it, I took it back out and sent it to G-Force Transmissions for them to complete their conversion to turn my T5 into a "G-Force Street 5 Speed" with revised gearing (particularly the 2.42 1st gear)and the greater HP rating (@ 500 HP capability). With that piece of mind came one small issue though . . . a noticeable whine (particularly in 3rd gear) . . . my new T5 sounded like an M22!

A few months ago, I began reading great reviews of the new TKX 5 speed and decided I wanted to try this new transmission. I ordered one from Silver Sport a few months ag oand completed the installation 7 weeks ago. The best part? . . . no more whine.

So, I'm now offering my complete G-Force Street 5 speed (with @ 8,000 miles) for anyone who would like to upgrade for a reasonable price! Some assembly required! Price - $1,750. Will deliver within 2 hours of Baltimore, MD. Will also fit a C3 and likely many other vintage Chevies with a small block!

Components:

- G -Force Street 5 Speed
https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp
- '83 Camaro "tilted" mechanical bellhousing (one year part) with brand new ball stud
- Clutch cross shaft w/Heim joint and custom clutch pushrod
- clutch fork for '83 Camaro (also a one year part) with throw-out bearing
- custom transmission mount w/poly bushing
- shortened/balanced driveshaft with new u-joints
- "Science Friction" 27-spline clutch disc by American Powertrain - brand new
- Mini starter (not pictured
- back up switch wiring
- Trans fluid specific to G-Force Street 5 speed

Tom Austin
tomaustin52@yahoo.com
443-319-3900

Last edited by Sabre34; 06-03-2024 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 06-03-2024, 08:04 AM
72soft-top
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I converted my wife’s 78 SA from an auto using this same transmission. It shifts so smoothly and is a great upgrade. Good luck with the sale… very surprised it’s still available?
Old 06-03-2024, 11:58 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,998 Likes on 680 Posts

Sold, sold, sold!!!

Get notified of new replies

To SOLD G-Force Street 5 Speed Complete "Kit"

Quick Reply: FS: SOLD G-Force Street 5 Speed Complete "Kit"