C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor won't fall in right.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:20 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Distributor won't fall in right.

I got the engine on TDC, and lined up the oil pump, lined up my distributor shaft, got the rotor button pointing towards the front of the motor so that it will be on the #1 tower on the cap...It feels like it falls in, but theres about a 1/4" gap between the the intake and the rest of the distributor. I ran this distributor on my old 350/300hp with no problems; however, it is the old school style Accel points with tach drive. I'm also running a victor jr. intake on the new engine. Do i need a new distributor?
Thanks, Herb
Old 01-29-2005, 10:25 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the distributor out and take a long screwdriver and turn the oil pump shaft a little at a time until it lines up-slowly turning the cap of the distributor as you drop it in. The distributor has to mate up with the slot in the oil pump shaft.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:55 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep wiggling and it will fall down.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:58 PM
john1977
Instructor

is the rotor button pointing toward #1 cylinder, dont worry about #1 post on dist. cap. If oil pump is lined up and rotor button contact is pointing toward #1 cyl. it should drop all the way in. Sounds like it is still not lined up with the pump.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 79VetteMike
Take the distributor out and take a long screwdriver and turn the oil pump shaft a little at a time until it lines up-slowly turning the cap of the distributor as you drop it in. The distributor has to mate up with the slot in the oil pump shaft.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:30 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why go through all of that? just put the car in gear and bump it...the crank will rotate, and the slot on the pump and distributor will line up and fall into place...
Old 01-30-2005, 12:15 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GDaina
Why go through all of that? just put the car in gear and bump it...the crank will rotate, and the slot on the pump and distributor will line up and fall into place...
Sorry for helping the guy out....

Last edited by 79VetteMike; 01-30-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:40 AM
79ls1
Racer

He's right. Don't know about having the car in gear though. Just have to be careful not to let the dist climb back out until it seats, if it does, ur screwed and have to start all over.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:40 AM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not think that Daina was trying to be mean just there is more than one way to skin a cat lol.

Yes you can do it by the book by bringing to no1 then set the oil pump shaft to correspond with the distributor when you install then set the timing.

Or you can do as Daina said but the chance is greater that the distributor will not drop in at the book correct location there fore you will maybe have to move the no1 spark plus wire over one and then time.

And if you have the room you can put the Distributor in anywhere and set no1 piston at TDC and put the spark plug wire on the distributor wherever it is pointing and the time.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:44 AM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default Distributor

Hey , ..the flat blade fits in a slot, you got a 50 / 50 shot. And if it don't start the first time, it will the second.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the easy way.... Done that forever... Simple solutions aren't always obvious though.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:15 AM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

I just move the slot a little with a long screw driver and then mine falls all the way in. I don't think you need a new distributor - just finesse the oil pump shaft and you'll get it to drop in...

I learned something new here though - I like the idea of bumping the car. I've never tried that one, maybe next time I have to pull the distr...
Old 01-30-2005, 09:18 AM
redc3
Melting Slicks

i would never do it that way! you got your dist. gear laying on the cam gear and your gonna turn the engine???? it might work but at what cost to the gears???? just use the screwdriver method, and jiggle your rotor. if its not lined up start over and move oil pump slot over more and try again. dont worry to much about keeping your rotor at the exact position. while its real important, you could install it backwards and it would run if you moved the wires on the cap. of course we dont want to do that but im just saying
Old 01-30-2005, 10:23 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

The distributor feels like its bottomed out. I have the oil pump shaft, and the distributor shaft lined up...but theres just a small gap, for some reason, it won't fall fully on the intake.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:26 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Redshark6974
The distributor feels like its bottomed out. I have the oil pump shaft, and the distributor shaft lined up...but theres just a small gap, for some reason, it won't fall fully on the intake.
Are you twisting it? Hold the base, jiggleing it back and forth while twisting the rotor clockwise.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:30 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Are you twisting it? Hold the base, jiggleing it back and forth while twisting the rotor clockwise.
I will go try that.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:30 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 258 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Redshark6974

for whats its worth....my local speed shop has a bushing/washer/shim that is made for that exact purpose.....i don't know all of the reasons for it..... but if they make a part it must have some sort of purpose....dosen't jegs and summit sell this also?

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor won't fall in right.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:38 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

FINALLY! this method worked! Thanks Mike...its on..and thanks for everyone's help! Beers on me
Old 01-30-2005, 10:39 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
for whats its worth....my local speed shop has a bushing/washer/shim that is made for that exact purpose.....i don't know all of the reasons for it..... but if they make a part it must have some sort of purpose....dosen't jegs and summit sell this also?
That's to make sure the gears are lined up center to center. The distributor will go all the way past the cam if inserted correctly and long enough.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:47 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 258 Likes on 228 Posts

That's to make sure the gears are lined up center to center. The distributor will go all the way past the cam if inserted correctly and long enough.
then it doesn't sound like its right for this application....

Quick Reply: Distributor won't fall in right.