C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden kill switch -best circuit to kill.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:43 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a relay in the power line for the electric pumps. Unless the key lock on the side of the fender is energized the relay won't kick in and no fuel pump. Sure the car will start, run about 100 yards and then die leaving the thief out in the open and hopefully won't hang around to find the problem.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:07 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
I hate to spoil your fun, but you can't use deadly force to protect your vette.
You can only use deadly force to protect life.
'Cept in Texas!

Old 04-02-2005, 11:46 AM
L88
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BanGnGearS
How far would someone get if you put a kill on the fuel pump as well? I always thought of using this method to stop them. I cant imagine them getting out of the parking spot i would be in or out of my garage before it sputters out. Or if they'd even be able to start it, considering how thirsty my vette is for gas.
I have a manual fuel pump & installed a fuel cutoff solenoid before the fuel filter. I used a Chevy dual tank solenoid while hiding the on/off switch. Installed a fram fuel filter which holds alot of gas so when the car runs out of gas it takes a good 30 seconds of cranking to prime & start. The car will go about 200 - 300 yds and die. So I could leave the keys in and they wouldn't get far unless they use a rollup. Guess the only protection for that is something that uses GPS.
Alan
Old 04-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

I too kill the fuel pump. No power supply handy to jumper it and since the car wasn't injected from the factory, even a seasoned thief is going to have to do some hunting to find where I routed the wiring. Now, I admit, none of this is going to stop a trailer thief but if they want it THAT badly they earned it.

Of course, I have thought of a couple unusual ideas. First, how about an alarm that, instead of honking and screeching, releases a nitrous purge valve in the dash? Non lethal but surely enough to scare someone off.

Or how about a magnetic kill switch? You could glue it to any portion of the dash and unless a thief sees you hold a magnet up to it to start, he'd never know about it.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:21 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 157 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a Sears Security battery and I love it, it has a key fob activated circuit on top of the battery and you can't jump start, boost it, bum start it or anything if it is off, it wll run for 10 seconds and die. The thief has to bring his own battery, I feel pretty safe with it but the car is never out of my sight for more than 1/2 hour anyway. Sears stopped selling these batteries because Bubba couldn't figure out how to configure them with factory alarms, cutoffs etc.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:36 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

My neighbor has a beautiful 49 merc. Chopped channeled you name hes got it.... He has shaved door handles and the only way in is the magnetic ring he passes over the dummie light by the hood. Pretty cool, and sleek.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chumpzilla

Good question about the toggle switch rating.. Also wonder if anyone has incorporated something like this into their cigarette lighter or other similar tricky location. An underdash switch, regardless of the system is useless IMO.

That's were i've got mine , also running a pressure pad under carpet , have to press on specific spot to engage starter relay
Old 04-03-2005, 01:43 AM
EVIL_GRIM
Racer

Originally Posted by 74FLCONV
'Cept in Texas!

well, hate to spoil everyone's fun, but if someone messes with my dream car, they are gonna have to suffer some how, maybe not by use of deadly force, but thats not for anyone to decide but me...When i catch them.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:57 AM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Try a cut off switch on the "Neutral Safety Switch" it won't even crank! It''ll never fire!

Last edited by INTIMIDATOR ZO6; 04-04-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:14 AM
EVIL_GRIM
Racer

While were on the subject, why not just shoot a hole in the friggin battery, that way nobody will ever start it...LOL
Old 04-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Rating should not be a problem, there's very little current that will run through it. And if you've got an electronic tach, you can connect the wire to the tach "sensor" lead inside the car.

Originally Posted by kdf1986
Gary,
I would like to add a kill switch to my 73 because it has a very loose/sloppy fitting ignition key fit.

From reading your post I can run a wire from the negative ( - ) coil post to a toggle switch. Then the other side of the toggle switch goes to ground. When the toggle is open, there is no continuity from the negative to ground. When closed the ground circuit is completed and prevents the car from starting.

Is there a toggle switch rating that I should consider?

Thanks for the insight and the post.

kdf
Old 04-04-2005, 10:22 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Intimidator454
Try a cut off switch on the "Neutral Safety Switch" it'll crank but never fire!
Interesting is there any reason this wouldn't work?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All the Neutral Safety Switch normally does is prevent turning the starter.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Engraver
Instructor

It would be slick if all the metal parts of the car were electrified and just waiting for someone to touch them and complete the circuit to the ground. Similar to an electric fence. Is it possible?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Mine came with a keyed lock switch on the fender (hate it) that shuts down the ignition.
I actually took a different route and dont use it though. I just installed the loudest car horn I could find under the dash. It's wired to the ignition circuit on a hidden switch. You can steal the car, but you'll be deaf by the time you get a block away.
Gary
Old 04-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Oops just gave away my secret! All you need are earplugs to steal my car now.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:52 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My plan is this;
Ground the MSD input, No spark...
Disable the fuel pump, if they do start it it won't go far.
Use a hidden magnetic switch to enable everything, maybe two.

I like the inside horn too!

and if I ever get a cell phone ( I know I know, it's 2005 already...)
Hook one up the the car permantly, use the kind with the built in tracking so you can locate it. ( then if I could just figure out how to use the phone to disable the car again LOL )

Get notified of new replies

To Hidden kill switch -best circuit to kill.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Manual tranny car does not need a starter to start.... just one simple "alligator clip" jumper from the battery + (e.g.- alt output terminal) to the coil. Then push it and drop the clutch.

Thieves know that all they need is a few alligator clip jumpers to steal a C3. Regardless of a kill switch.

I used to pull the primary coil wire, pop the distributor cap & remove the rotor & carry it around in my pocket. Got old after a while. So I installed a hidden 12V fired tear gas cannister fed by the alarm system (+) and a clutch switch for ground (-).

I can absolutely testify that it worked.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default Zap!

I did that on a 69 Z28 in the 70's.........a metal car, I also blanked out the door handles and put hidden switches in the wheel wells to charge solinoids and open the doors, its possible, this car was electrified!

Sweet huh.........30 years ago.........

Originally Posted by Engraver
It would be slick if all the metal parts of the car were electrified and just waiting for someone to touch them and complete the circuit to the ground. Similar to an electric fence. Is it possible?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ganey
All the Neutral Safety Switch normally does is prevent turning the starter.
Correct. A kill switch wired in line with the neutral safety switch will prevent the starter from turning if the kill switch is in the "kill" position. The starter thinks you have the car in drive right..

About the only thing this will prevent is the guy who wants to pop your key cylinder out of the steering column and try to start the car.

In my opinion this is about to what degree you want to take it right.

Do I think my Vette will be towed away ? if so then dont take it out of the garage or dont take my eyes off of it.

Do I think my Vette will be hot wired ? if so then install as many grounds as possible and these run to a kill switch.

Do I think a guy will pop the key cylinder and try to start it with a screw driver ? if so then a neutral safety switch kill switch will work.

All depends on what degree you want to take it.

Even the GPS car tracking systems can be defeated by simply parking the stolen car in a metal building. Heck every XM radio owner knows how easy it is to disconnect from the satellite.

I installed a hidden kill switch and wired it into the neutral safety switch. That’s enough for me.

Quick Reply: Hidden kill switch -best circuit to kill.