C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

media blasting

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 AM
BigJim13 JR.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default media blasting

Hi

I was curious if anyone has had any experience with media blasting to strip paint. Can a sand blasting gun be used with a different median other than silicon sand?

thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 09:56 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Baking soda or walnut shells are commonly used in a situation like this, but I don't know about using either of those in a normal sand blaster...
Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

Do you want to strip a metal part or a fiberglass one?

If it's a metal part use aluminum oxide or glass bead. The aluminum is great for cutting rust and the glass is better for aluminum parts like intake manifolds. DO NOT USE SILICA SAND! It can cause a lung problem called silicosis which is basically tiny shards of glass cutting the inside of your lungs. Even wearing a good mask may not protest you. Plus the aluminum oxide isn't that expensive ($20 for 50 lbs. at Harbor Freight) and it last MUCH longer.

If it's a fiberglass part, you want to use plastic, walnut shells, corn cobs, or soda. The last two require a different blaster and usually are done by professionals. The first two are more expensive ($2/LB for plastic, $1.50/lb for walnut) and require a larger tip, lower pressure, and higher air volume.

PM me and let me know what type of gun you have andI can help you out selecting the right tools.

Kevin
Old 09-01-2005, 12:36 PM
PureSilver
Racer

if you are stripping the body, you may want to consider razor blades. Many Forum members, including yours truly, have used this with great success (and less mess). It takes the top layer off and leaves the prime coat with some sanding, but no pitting that must be refilled.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:48 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 470 Likes on 276 Posts

A heat gun and a paint scraper works amazingly well on flat and slightly curved areas, removes paint, but leaves glas in tact. Media blasting works, but is very messy and takes a lot of prep and cleanup, especially on a body that hasn't been completely stripped.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
1960fivette
Racer

Media Blasting works good if you have an experienced operator. Too much pressure and the fiberglass can be damaged. I would also not recommend it unless you are taking your corvette ALL apart. The media will get in everywhere, but that is not a problem if the corvette is completely apart. I had my 1960 done with media and it was great, but I had a very experienced operator and the corvette all apart. I had the inside, outside and the underside done. When they were done, she was bare. Sure made it easy to see what was needed then. The bodyman really liked it too!

Greg
1960 fi vette
Old 09-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy1976kr
DO NOT USE SILICA SAND! It can cause a lung problem called silicosis which is basically tiny shards of glass cutting the inside of your lungs.
Even wearing a good mask may not protest you.
True. Good warning for the unaware.

I have used a lot of sand for metal parts (including aluminum).... since about 1974. It works very well, including intake manifolds. I do not hesitate to use sand... but...

I have a sealed blasting cabinet with a good dust evacuation system, and no breathing or lung problems. I get more sand in my lungs from mowing the lawn or going to the beach than I do with my blasting equipment.

Regardless of which media you use, don't breathe the dust.

The oxide stuff does last longer- sand turns to powder after being re-circulated about 5 times.

Choosing the right media can make/break the project.

Also.... don't even think of using a heat gun on fiberglass Corvette bodies.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:40 PM
BigJim13 JR.
Instructor

right now i dont really have a specific gun. i was juts wondering if a sandblasting gun would work
thanks for the reply

Get notified of new replies

To media blasting

Quick Reply: media blasting