C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller lifters in an SB-I

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

A quick search didn't turn up any instructions for sale.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:28 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.L
I did the conversion on my 400 small block. It worked great. Picked the lifters on ebay for $40.00 2 racks 10 each rack, new. I did buy the info from the guy on ebay. If you are going to do it, spent the $20.00 it is well worth it. He has done all the leg work as far as what parts to use and step by step how to do it. I'm only running a 550 lift cam.
Mr.L ... exactly how did YOU fit the dogbones & square them to top of lifter bores? ... did you work the tops by hand? ... or have block milled at machine shop?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:34 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
A quick search didn't turn up any instructions for sale.
Dunno if these instructions any good or not http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 02-15-2006, 10:49 PM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the convrersion when I built my 383, bought the instructions from E Bay and was more than worth the money. He tell detailed instructions and photos of what needs to be done.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Lionsden
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
No, that's all there is to it...really, just like any ordinary roller lifter intall ..same parts, the only trick part is the 60 deg. V6 lifters The lifters are 2.200" long, so that's about .4 shorter than V8 ones..they're available from GM under p/n 17120070 or as a VL138 aftermarket.

Here's some pics:

these are lionsden's pics:

Hey, Those pictures look familier!

Here is another

The cam used it the Crane 119831

Jackson, I just sent you the link you posted. D'OH

His instructions are detailed with pictures and information.

Last edited by Lionsden; 02-15-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:22 PM
toupstrio
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toyvet1
I did the convrersion when I built my 383, bought the instructions from E Bay and was more than worth the money. He tell detailed instructions and photos of what needs to be done.
What are the advantages of a roller cam versus a standard one?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

I think there is a roller v. flat tappet cam discussion active in the Tech section. If it's not on the first page, it should be on the second.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...817&forum_id=3

Mr. L, what cam specs are you running? I'm in the process of building an EFI 400 (LT-1 manifold).

Last edited by I'm Batman; 02-16-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going for it. It's the answer to my budget prayers.
Eddie
Old 02-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Mr.L
Advanced

I'm running an experimental SPL roller retro cam (picked it up on ebay for $100.00). W/1.8 roller rockers, vortec heads redone to take up to 700 lift 2.02 intake 1.65 exhust valves. TPIS runners, BBK 58mm Tbody, ported plenum, 38lb injectors, long rods and a bunch of other stuff. I'm using MAF setup. 165 ecu special chip.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:51 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

I'm running an experimental SPL roller retro cam (picked it up on ebay for $100.00). W/1.8 roller rockers, vortec heads redone to take up to 700 lift 2.02 intake 1.65 exhust valves. TPIS runners, BBK 58mm Tbody, ported plenum, 38lb injectors, long rods and a bunch of other stuff. I'm using MAF setup. 165 ecu special chip.
Again ... Mr.L ... exactly how did YOU fit the dogbones & square them to top of lifter bores? ... did you work the tops by hand? ... or have block milled at machine shop?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:02 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 261 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

ratflinger, where did you find the aftermarkets? My searches didn't turn up anything. At $20/ea. I might as well just buy the conversion lifters.

I googled 'lifters vl138' & came up with a PBM price sheet.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Lionsden
Drifting

Originally Posted by ratflinger
I googled 'lifters vl138' & came up with a PBM price sheet.
GM part numbers
17120070 LIFTER 16 (AC DELCO HL118)
12550002 GUIDE 8
14101116 RETAINER

I got my new lifters from ebay. Approx $90
Old 02-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson
Again ... Mr.L ... exactly how did YOU fit the dogbones & square them to top of lifter bores? ... did you work the tops by hand? ... or have block milled at machine shop?
It's must be some form of Black Magic.... nobody wants to tell you how to do it.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Lionsden
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom454
It's must be some form of Black Magic.... nobody wants to tell you how to do it.

I'm not Mr L but I will respond. The lifter bore tops could be dressed up with a flat hand file 'only' but the use of a die grinder will speed the process. A vertical mill isn't necessary. All that is needed is to make a flat surface for the guides to set flat against the block and not rock. A little addition clearance in need between the lifter bore and the valley wall next to the cylinder. That is where the die grinder comes in handy. The retainers have a sharp edge and that can be slightly rounded on one edge so less metal removal from the block is required. A hand drill can be used to drill the holes used to bolt the retainer in place. No need for a drill press.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:53 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I remember doing my '89 truck 350 engine changeout into this '72 here, back in '97 and seeing the differances one to one on that factory roller setup, I had all the factory roller parts from another '87 vette engine boat project some years earlier, so I had everything needed to dress out the '89 block for the rollers....I put in the then hot ticket...ZZ9 cam from TPIS...480 intake 520 exhaust life, forget the duration though....anyway, I remember examining the changes, and IMO....

IF you are building an existing good shape engine for roller cam....forgetaboutit.....too much machine work/welding fabbing for an existing engine.....if you building from naked block, fine, do all the fabbing then....at any rate for a street machine it's pretty well been determined those toggle roller pairs sold aftermarket are lousey durability and not to be trusted, they can snap apart and trash an entire engine over a freakig toggle breaking....heppened to someone on this forum some time ago....

I personally think it's easier to just get another block from '87 up and go with that....got what 22 years of chebby SB production to pick from, can't be toooo bad to locate one...

gotta say one thing though, I have not seen ONE SBC in my favoriet U Pullit junkyard here off Normandy ave in Jax Florida, not ONE, neither for a Hydroboost....not ONE....go figger, this IS cartown USA though, everyone is a hotrodder....

GENE
Old 02-17-2006, 09:39 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom454
I dunno ... Kinda Sorta ... But ... I wish to thank Lionsden, Twin_Turbo and a few others for their responses both here & privately! Those guys, yourself Tom454 and me too ... freely dole out info & try to help folks in need ... in my case it cost me unknown $ of time, trial & error etc to learn it ... some I learned from others; both here & elsewhere ... I'm sure no different for the folks I just mentioned ... least of all Tom454.

The $20 is no problem ... but the ebay seller's ad has so much pomp & flash while devoid of any clear feedback/comment indicating a customer's complete & successful conversion ... I'm wary of that scenario.

Lionsden & other's had/have clarified how they did their job ... I'm simply seeking a few more inputs ... to see if there's much of a concensus about the work itself & the outcome.

One could well imagine ... without this & other forums' free & open sharing of tech info/opinions ... forums likely wouldn't exist.

Thanks to each & all who try to help!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

I bought a set of the eBay directions - they were worth it. maybe a touch overpriced, but his pictures of what you need to grind and where to grind it will be extremely useful in getting this done.

Get notified of new replies

To Roller lifters in an SB-I

Old 02-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Mr.L
Advanced

Just grind the one side of the dog bone that is against the block. Round it off. I took a grinder (round nose) to level the block so they lay flat. Not much. The rounded off edges of the dog bone so they fit better and wont hangup. If the bones hangup they will wear the top of the lifters and have to be replaced. The whole grinding job takes about 6 hours. Thats the block and dog bones. Take your time, you can always take more off but you cant put back. I did each bone checked it and marked it where it was going to go. After all the grinding, I installed the cam, lifters, dog bones and spider plate and rotated the cam to make sure nothing was binding. If the bone does not lay flat it rides up when you rotate the cam as the lifter goes up, you will see it and it may make a snaping noise when it drops. The block must be flat where the dog bones lay. Don't buy cheap grinder bits. 1 good one will last for the whole job.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:21 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Mr. L, Batman & toy:
Each of you ... Thanks for the info!
Just grind the one side of the dog bone that is against the block. Round it off. I took a grinder (round nose) to level the block so they lay flat. Don't buy cheap grinder bits. 1 good one will last for the whole job.
Seems you may've approached it a bit differently than others ... did you use a flat file to flatten and square the tops of lifter bores? ... or only a die grinder burr/bit?

Were you pleased with the outcome? How many hours/runs/miles since your conversion?

I bought a set of the eBay directions - they were worth it. maybe a touch overpriced, but his pictures of what you need to grind and where to grind it will be extremely useful in getting this done.
Have you completed the conversion? If so, Were you pleased with the outcome? How many hours/runs/miles since your conversion?
Originally Posted by toyvet1
Were you pleased with the outcome? How many hours/runs/miles since your conversion?

Last edited by jackson; 02-18-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 371 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Default Still wondering?

Is there a performance or reliability benefit to one style roller lifter over the other. Is the factory style better than aftermarket retro style? Are factory roller lifters as good as aftermarket retros or should one buy aftermarket anyway?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Roller lifters in an SB-I