C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 07:25 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold?

I have a 427 big block. I am currently planning to use Hi-Temp red (intermittent 650 degrees) in place of the end gaskets. Should I use Hi-Temp copper or some other type? Thanks for any replies.
Old 08-25-2001, 07:39 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold? (BB68Vett)

Whatever you use, make sure the surfaces are very clean and oil free, or any excess that sqeezes out will end up in the oil pick-up screen.. NOT a GOOD thing....I have seen engines ruined because of a clogged oil screen from RTV rubber. Luckily they were both FORDS.
Old 08-25-2001, 07:45 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold? (BB68Vett)

I just use the Black RTV, but not alot. I just ran a nice complete bead down the forward and rear edges.

As previously stated though, preparation is the key. Make sure it is CLEAN! :chevy
Old 08-25-2001, 11:24 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold? (78Vette-SA)

I have always used the blue and have not had any problems.

Make sure all is clean, let the RTV set up, and don't use too much. Very small even bead is all you that you will have to use.
Old 08-25-2001, 01:18 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold? (78Vette-SA)

I just use the Black RTV, but not alot. I just ran a nice complete bead down the forward and rear edges.
How thick should this bead be? I'll do this project some time in the fall, and don't want to screw it up! :crazy:

Thanks!

-Pedro
Old 08-25-2001, 02:57 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About a 1/4" bead along both surfaces, making sure you overlap the intake gasket tabs at the ends by about 1/2" or so. And put a small (1/8") bead around the water ports at the front and rear both underneath and on top of the gasket.

Let your beads set up a couple of minutes and then drop the manifold in place without wiggling it around. Torque it down and you're ready to rock.
Old 08-25-2001, 03:01 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold? (Jack Sweet)

Thanks, Jack!

-Pedro
Old 08-25-2001, 03:05 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold? (Jack Sweet)

I always use Permatex Ultra black rtv gasket maker.
The black rtv draws less attention to itself if your not
perfect in it's application.........
Old 08-25-2001, 03:16 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all of your replies. Seems it's wide open and no color or type is better than another. I'll be sure to not use too much.
Old 08-25-2001, 05:34 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ultra black copper or blue they seem to be the best......

Get notified of new replies

To What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold?

Quick Reply: What type of RTV silicone should I use when installing my intake manifold?