C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T5 swap into 72 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan
OK I am confused I thought SVO Mustangs started in 1984 and had a 4cyl turbo. Also my transmision has the printing on the face of the counter gear bearing. Could the counter gear bearing from a wc be swaped into nwc transmion ?

Thank You for your time
Dan

I think the shaft diameter is different too, so you'd have to swap out a lot more too.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:27 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchase a new GM T5 world class case for $78 dollars and switch everything over. Use a GM front bearing retainer - $35.00.

This I found on the 5 Speed site. From what I gather this will alow you to make the swap from a Ford T5 to a bolt up to existing bellhousing G.M. T5
Figure $130.00 + shipping...It may be worth it.
Then some mods to the drive shaft and yolks, and you're there.....I think!!!

Last edited by sly vette; 01-06-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:43 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

I'd already known that it was possible to bolt up a Ford pattern T5 to a Chevy Small block by using a Jeep 151 Iron Duke bellhousing. What I did NOT know was, apparently, the 86-89 Chevy 4.3L V6 Astrovan 5-speed bellhousing can do the same thing. Here's a pic a of a bell a gent has for sale he says comes from an 88 Astrovan 5-speed 4.3. Looks like the Ford pattern to me.

http://www.geocities.com/jfreak3002/Image057.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jfreak3002/Image058.jpg
This was also from the 5 Speed link.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sly vette
What I did NOT know was, apparently, the 86-89 Chevy 4.3L V6 Astrovan 5-speed bellhousing can do the same thing. Here's a pic a of a bell a gent has for sale he says comes from an 88 Astrovan 5-speed 4.3. Looks like the Ford pattern to me.

Okay, so let's get this organized.

'86 - '98 Chevy Astro 4.3L V6 5-Speed bell house will fit the Ford transmission AND the Chevy small blocks? How about the big blocks? Will all the extras fit too?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Don't know Durango...I'm getting this info from 5speeds.com
Old 01-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Don't know Durango...I'm getting this info from 5speeds.com

Well lets hope for the best. This bell house could be a savior for anyone wanting to use a Ford T5 without an adapter.

I've found a couple of the above bell housings for $50 plus shipping.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:17 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Durango
What do you think of the info in post #82??
Old 01-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Durango
What do you think of the info in post #82??

It sounds good but I'm not sure I understand. You're saying to swap Ford T5 guts into a new GM T5 case?

The only way I could see that as a benefit is if the GM T5 is cheaper than the Ford T5.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:42 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
It sounds good but I'm not sure I understand. You're saying to swap Ford T5 guts into a new GM T5 case?

The only way I could see that as a benefit is if the GM T5 is cheaper than the Ford T5.
My bad...I was thinking that it would eliminate the need for the 1/2" plate but I guess I got ahead of myself.(Happens alot) I really want a 5 speed BAAAAAD!!!!
Thinking I may go to a hyd. clutch also.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

My bad...I was thinking that it would eliminate the need for the 1/2" plate but I guess I got ahead of myself.(Happens alot) I really want a 5 speed BAAAAAD!!!!
Thinking I may go to a hyd. clutch also.

It can be had. When I get around to ordering all these parts, I'm thinking about a $1000 budget will get it all done.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Questions!

1) How deep is that bellhousing? Is it for a standard 6.5" (give or take a bit) input shaft?

2) What size is the bearing retainer hole?

3) Which Ford pattern is that?

4) How big of a clutch/flywheel can you get under there?

The answers to these questions may save me a lot of headache...
Old 01-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Big Dan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting t5 from ford toChevy

Purchase a new GM T5 world class case for $78 dollars and switch everything over. Use a GM front bearing retainer - $35.00.

This I found on the 5 Speed site. From what I gather this will alow you to make the swap from a Ford T5 to a bolt up to existing bellhousing G.M. T5
Figure $130.00 + shipping...It may be worth it.
Then some mods to the drive shaft and yolks, and you're there.....I think!!!

Sly you whould have to replace the input shaft. The Chevy input shaft is 1/2" shorter than the ford.
The adapter plate will make the shifter closer to were it needs to be so you can use the stock console with out major mods.

Dan

Last edited by Big Dan; 01-07-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:58 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Sorry for the confusion fellas. Most the info posted by me in the prior posts came from the link in post #79. I'm just starting my research for my swap so I guess I'm shooting arrows into the air hoping to hit something.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:21 AM
5speeds
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've posted some information in my FAQ section about Ford T5's in Chevys. It's a waste of time unless you like projects.

The Ford gearset set that is common in Mustangs is a 3.35 ratio set. There are no GM versions of this ratio set.

THERE ARE GM versions of the 2.95 ratio set, just as long as you are not using one of the Cobra style 1352251 model transmissions. The other is the throw our bearing retainer size on the tube and its diameter.

You can modify Ford inputs to to shorten them or add an adapter plate and bore out a bronze pilot bushing since the Ford pilot is larger in Diameter. The Astro bellhousing is one way to go, but then you're dealing with a housing that ran with a hydraulic slave cylinder.

On the brighter side, swap out the main case and shorten the input shaft. You can get an input modified for under $100 dollars. Change the front retainer to a GM setup and you can bolt it up. If you purchase a trashed Ford unit, then swap out the whole gearset to a GM set. Gearsets are under $500 new from most dealers.

Or just get a Camaro WC box!

I can tell you that there will be some new extension housings for T5's coming out this year that may help out in certain conversions. I can't say much more.

Last edited by 5speeds; 01-07-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

O.K I guess I'm ignorant.(no big secret)
So if a WC GM box will bolt right up why are so many putting in the Fords?
All I really want to end up with is a 5 speed with a hyd. clutch. I don't plan on beating this car(well maybe alittle) and with my 3.08 gear I'm hoping that this will be the perfect mod.
Could someone please straighten me out. If you aren't too far away I'll even let you slap some sense into me.....ahhhhh maybe not. but I learn real quick. It.s just with so much info coming in from so many it is easy to get confused.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 5speeds
The Astro bellhousing is one way to go, but then you're dealing with a housing that ran with a hydraulic slave cylinder.

5speeds - Thanks so much for the info. I would like to no more about the Astro bell housing. I just have a few specific questions if you'd be so kind as to input a little more knowledge. I will be converting to hydraulic clutch so that will be perfect for me.

1: With a Ford WC T5, and the Astro bell housing...what other things do you need? Do you still need the spacer? Is the shaft too long?

2: Using the above combo, will any other mods have to be made? How much f a difference will there be in drive shaft length?

3: Will that Astro bell housing fit a big block the same as a small block? Seems they would just fine but I need to ask.

Thanks so much for your help. I have a unique situation where I can get used stock parts very cheap and generally very local. If I can make do with a few stock parts from other cars that would be great.

Last edited by Durango_Boy; 01-07-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Matt you do ask the right questions!!
And I'm listening!!!

Get notified of new replies

To T5 swap into 72 Corvette

Old 01-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Big Dan
Heel & Toe

5speeds - Thanks so much for the info. I would like to no more about the Astro bell housing. I just have a few specific questions if you'd be so kind as to input a little more knowledge. I will be converting to hydraulic clutch so that will be perfect for me.

1: With a Ford WC T5, and the Astro bell housing...what other things do you need? Do you still need the spacer? Is the shaft too long?

2: Using the above combo, will any other mods have to be made? How much f a difference will there be in drive shaft length?

3: Will that Astro bell housing fit a big block the same as a small block? Seems they would just fine but I need to ask.

Thanks so much for your help. I have a unique situation where I can get used stock parts very cheap and generally very local. If I can make do with a few stock parts from other cars that would be great.

Darango

I am no 5speeds but I whould like to keep this madness going....

The sbc and bbc share the same bolt pattern,at least in the yaers we are talking about. The Astro bellhousing I doubt will take a 11" flywheel, if this is something you whould be consernd about.

Just my 2 cents

Dan
Old 01-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Big Dan
Darango

I am no 5speeds but I whould like to keep this madness going....

The sbc and bbc share the same bolt pattern,at least in the yaers we are talking about. The Astro bellhousing I doubt will take a 11" flywheel, if this is something you whould be consernd about.

Just my 2 cents

Dan

Glad you jumped in. I have a though. Isn't the 4.3 a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off? I would imagine, if the bell house pattern fits a 350, that there would be room for the same kind of flywheel that goes on a 350. I have no idea...that's just what I'm assuming until I know for sure.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Big Dan
Heel & Toe

Glad you jumped in. I have a though. Isn't the 4.3 a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off? I would imagine, if the bell house pattern fits a 350, that there would be room for the same kind of flywheel that goes on a 350. I have no idea...that's just what I'm assuming until I know for sure.

Darango

I have limited knowledge on the topic, so take this with a grain of salt.
I know that there are 153 tooth (10.5"?) and 168 tooth (11"?) flywheels out there. The 168 11" flywheels and bellhousing seem to be the most sought after at swap meets. Looking at my Summit catalog it seems to be many options for both though.

Let me ask you why do you want to go with a hyd instead of the old standby mech. I know many have gone with hyd with great succes(and I mean no disrespect to them) but it seem like alot of extra fab work. The mech has probably millions of miles in C3 with little problems.

Dan

Quick Reply: T5 swap into 72 Corvette