C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you adjust the TH400 kick down switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:07 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,107 Likes on 752 Posts

Default How do you adjust the TH400 kick down switch?

Since redoing my interior,(thick insulation) my gas pedal linkage no longer contacts the switch. Is there a way to adjust the switch? There is a bolt in the center of the bracket but two tabs holding it in its position, doesn't look like there is adjustment.

I thought about making a spacer and putting it on the shaft on the switch but I need a LOT of gap taken out. I want it to kick down with about 3/4 throttle. At WOT the linkage is about a 1/2" away from contacting the shaft on the switch.

I did a search but found nothing....
Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

General rule is adjust both at WOT. Wire open, or have a friend hold the throttle wide open. Get under the car, and adjust the detent so it's pushed in full matching the throttle. That's it.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:18 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 408 Posts

Just did mine last summer.......I removed the bracket and slightly bent it so that when you have full throttle, it pushes the switch the 1/2" it needs. A little trial and error,and takes more time, but is better than using a spacer.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:40 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Thanks C3, I will pull the bracket off and see what I can do. It used to work with my old carpet but I put so much dynamat under it, it seems to kill the travel. I got the carb going WOT but the pedal linkage is far from the switch... I will try to bend it some.

DB, these don't have the cables like you are talking about, its got a little switch above the gas pedal that the linkage hits...
Thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,997 Likes on 1,967 Posts

The TH400 kickdown switch sets itself automatically the first time the switch is depressed. To re-set it, depress the plunger fully, and then let it flick off your fingernail so it pops up forcefully. This will bring the plunger up to its pre-set fully extended position. Then, simply press the gas pedal to the floor. This will depress the switch to its correctly adjusted position.
The following users liked this post:
JavaJolt78 (07-29-2021)
Old 03-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
DB, these don't have the cables like you are talking about, its got a little switch above the gas pedal that the linkage hits...
Thanks

Sorry, my brain was farting. Bad gas all morning.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:08 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Thanks Lars, I will try that but to be honest with you, it doesnt even look close to touching when the pedal is to the . Its like the shaft on the switch(plunger?) travels more up and down and less front to rear and I need it to be further forward. I will try your adjustment in a few mins and report back. THANKS
Old 03-24-2007, 01:21 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

LARS, I reset the switch like you said, the gas pedal linkage does contact the switch at WOT but it seems to push the switch to the point where the linkage stops, then when I release the gas, the linkage returns and the switch stays in the same spot. When I mash the gas again it just BARELY rubs the plunger not really moving the switch at all. Its almost like I need the switch to stay in its fully extended position for normal operation. Maybe my switch is jacked?
Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

LARS, I reset the switch like you said, the gas pedal linkage does contact the switch at WOT but it seems to push the switch to the point where the linkage stops, then when I release the gas, the linkage returns and the switch stays in the same spot. When I mash the gas again it just BARELY rubs the plunger not really moving the switch at all. Its almost like I need the switch to stay in its fully extended position for normal operation. Maybe my switch is jacked?
If yours is like my '69 (I believe it is), then it is OK. It is meant to be held down only during full throttle and released when you let up. It must be carefully adjusted to sync with full throttle (no binding), as that's as far as it goes. It's really just an electric toggle switch and you can't make any adjustments. It supplies power to the trans where the kickdown is done internally.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Well I thought I had it fixed but no cigar. It seems to be making contact with the plunger but not enough I guess. Its moving it some but its still not kicking down. I recently fixed the wire connectors at the solinoid so I guess I need to check the switch for power etc...make sure its working because its not kicking down. It was working back a few months ago so I know the solinoid is working.

C3Stroker, how well does your kick down work with the stall converter?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:16 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Well I thought I had it fixed but no cigar. It seems to be making contact with the plunger but not enough I guess. Its moving it some but its still not kicking down. I recently fixed the wire connectors at the solinoid so I guess I need to check the switch for power etc...make sure its working because its not kicking down. It was working back a few months ago so I know the solinoid is working.

C3Stroker, how well does your kick down work with the stall converter?
Actually, I never use it. Having a 4.11 rear and a 3k converter, when I mash it, it flashes to 4200 (Bonzai !), and then at 4500 the trans shifts itself at WOT.
RowdyMT (07-29-2021)
Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 PM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 75 L-82 all stock. I'm not sure which transmission I have (350 or 400) but I was under the impression that my kickdown work on vacuum and that I did not have a kickdown switch.

AM I wrong? Do I have one?
Old 03-25-2007, 03:04 PM
74batmobile
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i thinki have the same problem.......idk i took my car to a transmission shop the other week cause my car seems to be loosing alot of its power and he said my kickdown switch was bad or somthing and need to be replaced......it took him like 3 days and he told me hed rebulit it for like 250bucks.....i was like screw that and went lookin for one on jegs and summit but that was a no go......was this dude pullin my leg or would i need to replace it? im bout to say screw it and just do a new transmission maybe one with an over drive since mines a 3spd automatic.......idk
Old 03-25-2007, 09:28 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

The TH400 kickdown switch sets itself automatically the first time the switch is depressed. To re-set it, depress the plunger fully, and then let it flick off your fingernail so it pops up forcefully. This will bring the plunger up to its pre-set fully extended position. Then, simply press the gas pedal to the floor. This will depress the switch to its correctly adjusted position.
Yep...Lars is on it once again. I found this out by accident. My kickdown wasn't working and I was up under there fiddling with the switch and depressed it and it snapped back about halfway. Now it work's like new!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:18 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Well, after following LARS directions, my gas pedal linkage rod would still not hit the switch correctly. I could reset the switch, then hit the gas and it would contact the switch to the area where the travel would stop. Once I released the gas pedal, the switch would stay in the same position and hitting the throttle once again, it would not contact the switch or would barely kiss it. I think my switch has a bad spot in its travel. NO doubt after 138k miles. It seems to have a dead spot in the ratcheting mechanism RIGHT where the pedal rod touches.

SOOOO, I made a little "spacer" out of a couple pieces of fuel hose and slid it on the plunger. Now when I kick it about 90%, it kicks down every time... I did it about 20 times today...LOL its funny, when it kicks down into 1st from a 30 roll, it almost upshifts immediatly at 4200 rpms...LOL

The kick down feature is definetly MUCH smoother then just pulling the shifter down to 1st and trying to time it right.

I know I did a bubba but I am not sure you can even GET a kick down switch, not to mention replacing it would be a bastard. I am just making mine work in a different zone in its travel and it is working good for now.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:09 PM
Eric-
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
I know this is an old thread. However this info just saved me a ton of time, sweat and work. I just reset my switch successfully! 👍👍
doorgunner (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 11:31 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,431 Likes on 2,820 Posts

It will still be able to be read while closed.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you adjust the TH400 kick down switch?

Quick Reply: How do you adjust the TH400 kick down switch?