C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Belts (1972)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Erics Quick71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Belts (1972)

I am looking to get my 72 past NJ inspection.
My shoulder harnesses are missing the end clips, AND my lap belts to not extend or retract.

Do ALL lap belts extend or retract?
Is this someti8ng as simple as removing the retracter mechanism, spraying with lubricant and WHALA? or a bigger issue???
Any suggestions?
The belt DOES fit me almost perfectly so I have no real issue, since I am the only one that SHOULD be driving it anyway- JUSTY FOR INSPECTION!

Does anyone have info where I can send my seat belts and get slightly overhauled to work properly?
New end clips? retracteors reworked?

Would I be better off buying a set of working replacements from (ebay or Corvette Central and selling mine?
Does it make sense?
I would like the Shoulder Harness and lap belts to work.
THANKS
Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Erics Quick71
Instructor

Also- Any suggestions on cheaper replacement systems?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default belts...

to get them refurbished there is a place called "snake oil" or some variation of that... I have seen it in corvette fever and heard it once or twice on here... I'll try to google it and see what it pops up... as for the inspection I really don't know... we don't have those here in Arkansas... lucky me huh?

hth

Sully
Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default here you go

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/Ssnake-Oyl...howroom20.html

best of luck

Sully
Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 756 Likes on 465 Posts

Snakeoyl is quite expensive. They do excellent work and the ycome back like brand new but they are $$$. Yes the 72s should retract. Chances are the retracters are rusted up and need to be replaced. You can get a cheaper set of replacement belts that work just fine. If you are not NCRS these will work good. Another alternative is a set of Camaro rear belts. These are a 3 point system, give you the shoulder harness along with the lap belts. This is what I have in mine and they are a real nice cheap alternative. Cost about 50 bucks from a boneyard. I also have a set of lap belts for my 72 that Snakeoyl has redone but they are quite expensive.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 AM
3 Vette Man
Intermediate

Since there are not prices on SnakeOyl, what do you mean by expensive.....????$$$$ Can you give an estimate, generally?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 756 Likes on 465 Posts

I had mine done about 10 years ago and it cost me around 240 for the two lap belts.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Erics Quick71
Instructor

OH!

I think I will take out my lap belts retractors and see if spraying some lubricant can get them freed up a bit.
If not- Looks like I will add a non original type for now. for those prices...
Old 07-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Red 69
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe you will find something to your liking at Andover.http://www.andoauto.com/Corvette1.htm
Old 07-17-2007, 05:25 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

I replaced mine with late model F-body belts I got off Ebay for $8 including shipping. They need to come out of the rear seats of a coupe but they fit great and work even better.

seatbelt install
Old 07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Several of us have done this camaro seat belt install. I have them in my 70 convertible and would not go back. I modded my seats to make the belts pass through. If your seats do not have pass through, like Redwingvette, you can just route the belt around the seat and it works just as easily.

Here is the thread I started when I did my pass through.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Boston!
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to keep the original belts that clip the shoulder harness to the lap belt at the latch, I think you have to have them redone (I couldn't find replacements like this). I took mine out that were frozen solid with rust, unwound them all the way, washed the belts with a pressure washer, dried them thoroughly in the sun, scraped off a layer of corrosion, and then worked them in and out with a ton of silicone spray lubricant for a good long time until all the corrosion worked it's way out of the mechanism (the friction between the plastic spool and and the metal housing takes the longest time to start working, as this controls the inertia latching of the belt), and they work good as new now.

-=Boston!=-

P.S. Resist the urge to pry off the plastic end cap with the spring inside. It's quite a project to get back together. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Erics Quick71
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boston!
If you want to keep the original belts that clip the shoulder harness to the lap belt at the latch, I think you have to have them redone (I couldn't find replacements like this). I took mine out that were frozen solid with rust, unwound them all the way, washed the belts with a pressure washer, dried them thoroughly in the sun, scraped off a layer of corrosion, and then worked them in and out with a ton of silicone spray lubricant for a good long time until all the corrosion worked it's way out of the mechanism (the friction between the plastic spool and and the metal housing takes the longest time to start working, as this controls the inertia latching of the belt), and they work good as new now.

-=Boston!=-

P.S. Resist the urge to pry off the plastic end cap with the spring inside. It's quite a project to get back together. Ask me how I know.
OUCH-
I removed the seats and the plastic covering over the seatbelt retractor assembly.
WOW was it rusted.
Almost a total loss.

Seems like I will definately be using the F-Body belts I am purchasing.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Belts (1972)

Quick Reply: Seat Belts (1972)