C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Challange

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a smith
What do you mean the car has recently been restored? Did you rebuild the trailing arms, rear end, half shafts and drive shaft? Al

Every thing was rebuilt except for the half shafts. But they do have new u-joints and they are good at this time. I intend to have them ballanced at this time. Should have done it prior to assembly.

Originally Posted by annicorvette
when you restored the 69 did you replace the u-joint bolts with the heaver duty connectors on some cars the new ones will be touching other parts and give this type noise. i have a fantom green 69 rag top and i know this will happen.
I reused all the old u-joint bolts.

I should mention that this car has less than 300 miles on it since the restoration. And the rear end has approx 320 miles on it. The distance from the rear end shop to home is approx. 20 miles.
Is it poss that I didn't break the rear end in properly??

I now have the cover off.... The ring gear teeth are shiney accross the entire surface of the teeth. When I turn the side yolks I can hear a scrubbing sound and I have to have someone hold the case in order to turn the yolks. Seems like a lot of resistance... Is this normal???

Last edited by sly vette; 08-16-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

ttt
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Well.... I took the carrier out and the bearing races have kind of a wear pattern to them. You can see where the rollers have been riding on the race to where the race looks polished where the rollers DO NOT touch. Where they DO make contact with the races the look is that of brushed steel.
Am I correct in assuming that these bearings have been contaminated and the pattern on the races is a result of that?
There is no discoloration of any parts, as if they took too much heat.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:26 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Upon further investigation, I find that the carrier appears to have been shimmed too tight, thus putting excessive pressure on the bearings.
also I see that the head for the pin that secures the thrust pin is sheared off and I cant find it anywhere. No excessive metal in the housing so I believe that the head was broken off on assembly, and just left that way. Also now that the carrier is out and I can also tell that the pinion is too tight.
Not bad for $1400.00 right
Oh did I mention that I forgot my old ring and pinion at the shop for a month due to the fact that I was absorbed in the resto. When I go back they tell me that it is my fault for not taking the old parts with me when I picked the car up. Oh well shame on me.
I will say this....Even though this place came highly recommended...I will stay away and I suggest others do the same.
The Ring and Pinion Shop on Groesbeck just south of 16 mile road in S/E/ MI. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Also without interest in this thread...This will be my last post in relation to this thread!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Dang -Sorry to hear you found so much inside but at least your diagnosis was on the money.Do you have any recorse with these guys-will they stand behind their work?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

The problem is that I had the rear re built two years ago after I received the car. Then I did the resto and I figure if thew wouldn't give me my gear set back I don't expect them to warranty work that was done two years ago.
Maybe I should Judge Judy them.

Think I may have a case???
Any lawyers out there???
Old 08-18-2007, 12:15 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

ttt
Old 08-18-2007, 12:23 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sly vette
The problem is that I had the rear re built two years ago after I received the car. Then I did the resto and I figure if thew wouldn't give me my gear set back I don't expect them to warranty work that was done two years ago.
Maybe I should Judge Judy them.

Think I may have a case???
Any lawyers out there???
Probably not legaly but if they want to preserve their reputation and do whats right they might work with you in some way.

Quick Reply: A Challange