C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vapor Canister

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:55 PM
popeye73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vapor Canister

On my 73 the vapor canister there are three hoses one to the gas tank, One small one to the passinger side of the carb right under the choke and the other one is not connected, where does it go? I'm thinking it goes to the pcv valve
Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

It was connected to the PVC valve on the valve cover.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:15 PM
popeye73
Intermediate

Thanks, thats what I thought, but what would be the purpose of taking it off and plugging it?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 PM
in2fun
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by popeye73
On my 73 the vapor canister there are three hoses one to the gas tank, One small one to the passinger side of the carb right under the choke and the other one is not connected, where does it go? I'm thinking it goes to the pcv valve
My canister is missing on mine. Who ever owned the car before I did took it off. My car dose have a new fuel cell... but no hoses running to the canister. The car runs great so I really just don't get it about the canister ( if I need one or not ). I have a 72. I know this is no help to you but I just want to see what people say about yours.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:53 AM
popeye73
Intermediate

Does anyone know what benifits or problems if any will come from plugging this hose off?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:12 AM
T's
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Old 01-06-2008, 09:36 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

The canister is just for emissions so it won't effect how the car runs. What it does is absorb fumes from the top of the gas tank and allows air to go back to the tank as the fuel is used. If the lines are pluged off, you would need to replace the gas cap with a vented cap.

Vapors from the tank are absorbed in the carbon when the car is parked. When the motor is running, the vacuum draws the fumes into the motor which cleans the carbon so it will be able to absorb the vapors again.

Is you over fill the tank it is possible to get raw fuel into the canister. There is a plastic valve on the side of the tank that is suppose to stop that from happening but does not always work. That is why you are not suppose to top-off the tank on any car. If you can smell gas after your car has been sitting in the garage for a while, the carbon canister may be part of the problem.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:54 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

If working properly, I can't think of a good reason to remove the cannister/tubing. It's only there to reduce emissions by burning raw fuel vapors and to burn oil vapors that would normally dirty up the engine bay [and the air].

Get notified of new replies

To Vapor Canister

Quick Reply: Vapor Canister