C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented vs. Non-Vented Gas Cap Lids?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 AM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello 69TTop,

When I first posted this situation I had less than a quarter tank. Just for the heck of it I took out the car for about 40 miles and it was a very hot day. When I released the gas cap to check with my head turned away from the car I did hear a pressure release like Alan had said. Maybe it has to do with the amount of gas in the tank.

Nelson007
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 374 Likes on 357 Posts

Default It only gets worse.

Originally Posted by cardo0
Ok my garage was smelly too so i ordered a non-vented cap from our friends at Ecklers and at a great price. But it comes in without a gasket. I called up Ecklers customer service and he says no gasket included but he would have the stock workers look at shelf stock for one and contact me if one is found - no reply as expected. I can see adhesive residue where the gasket should be which kind'a implies someone took the gasket out of mine to help another customer.
And there's more to the saga! So a machinist at work was going make me a gasket when he realizes that regular viton material won't work with are our new blended alcohol fuels! I need to find some "Super Viton" material to make it work. Well online i find a compatibility chart with the correct mfr designations for Viton gaskets. But will i find a small 4" square piece for a buck without spending 20 bucks for ten feet of Viton F or GF-S?
More to come,
cardo0

So i buy some 3/32" gasket material from VICTOR REINZ (now owned by mahle) and the machinist at work cuts me a new gasket. Fits and works great. Just that when i look at the tank filler neck it now has rust/corrosion spots all over it!
I replaced that fuel tank 'bout 3-5 years ago! Looks like i need a whole new fuel sytem now. Yep, need to R&R tank, lines, pump, carb and of course filter - everything in line.

Ok all i can figure i had poured some Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank until i could find some gas stabilizer. When i finally added the stabilizer i did'nt drain the tank thinking both would be compatible.

I was going to take some pix today and before i was ready my camera slipped out and fell on the floor - about 5 pieces now.

Yes it never ends, it only get worse. Ya know i'm somewhat conditioned to this now - but i'm still not gonn'a laugh,
cardo0

Last edited by cardo0; 09-07-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Vented vs. Non-Vented Gas Cap Lids?