C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on seat belt brackets, 69

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Question on seat belt brackets, 69

The brackets at the lower, outer corners of the rocker channels, in between the channel and the frame---can they be shimmied out of there with the bracket and the seatbelt inside the car removed?

Didn't feel like they would slide out of there, but they are loose. I can move them around a bit, but I didn't get underneath to investigate it further

I snapped 2 of the 3 bolts off on each side when taking the lap belts out today, and it certainly would be a lot easier to drill and tap them out on the bench!

Last edited by champs65; 01-17-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C85,
I believe you'll find both the inner and outer mounting nuts for the seat belts are fixed in place. Here's a picture of each from my 71. I believe your 69 is similar.
Regards,
Alan

Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks Alan!

I'm trying to put your pics in perspective, and I think that your second pic illustrates the area I mean.

In my 69 AIM,, page J133, sheet F26 shows the seatbelt mounting diagram. The outer lap belts slide through a "reinforcement" (3976463-4), that has 3 bolts in it, through the fiberglass, and then to another reinforcement plate that has nuts welded in place behind the fiberglass in the area of the rocker channel--right in the corner of the floorpan just ahead of the #3 body mounts. Its this hidden plate that I need to drill and re-tap the holes in.

With all three bolts out, that hidden plate will move around, almost like it has adjustability, but I can't get it out. Unfortunately the car is at work and I won't be there till Thursday.

If my description is bad, I can take a pic of the reinforcement plate that came out from inside the car--its here at home with me.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C85,
Your right in looking at pic #2. It sounds like your 69 is different than a 71.
The 71 outside belt has a triangular chrome plate with a hole at the end of the belt which has 1 large bolt that goes through it, the fiberglass underbody, the rocker channel and then that large nut you see on the side of the rocker channel.
The inside belt has 1 bolt that goes through the underbody into that large nut on the silver 'U' bracket in the transmission tunnel.
Sorry I can't help.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Question on seat belt brackets, 69

Quick Reply: Question on seat belt brackets, 69