C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F.A.S.T. EZ-EFI; is anyone using this yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 PM
rip74
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
1) The EZ-EFI does not have a dedicated output for a secondary A/F ratio gauge; you can see the A/F ratio on the handheld. That being said, you could just weld in another bung in the other side exhaust to run a stand-alone A/F ratio gauge.

2) Again, the EZ-EFI does not have a dedicated output for controlling a 4L60E, and I have no idea what it takes to control a 4L60E, but I can't see why you couldn't just parallel wire it to the TPS.

A better place to ask this and other tech questions might be at the FAST product support forum here:

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/fast-...t-support.html

Thanks for the response!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 AM
whizkidder
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Curby
I was wondering what you are using the ported vacuum for.

I have had the ported vacuum (front connection) connected to the vacuum advance on the distributor, but I think it will work much better to use the rear vacuum port, which is where I currently have my fuel pressure regulator tied in.

My engine was leaning out on the dyno, and I think it is either a timing issue or a fuel pressure issue. I need to hook up my vacuum gauge and do a little research.
Two schools of thought on vacuum advance. I'm using ported vacuum (used to be hooked to the vacuum can on the dizzy, now to a 1-Bar MAP sensor for my programmable MSD 6AL-2). Since you should not have any vacuum at WOT (as when on the dyno), don't believe timing is the problem.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 301 Posts

I am almost done mounting EZ-EFI in my 1969 Corvette.
I've replaced the std. intake/carburetor, with a Edelbrock 2701. I can see that I need a new throttle bracket, what throttle bracket must I buy, when I have my std. speeder cable?

Last edited by c3_dk; 08-24-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Any news on the CARB front?

(sincerely - the CA pest)
almost 3 months since last CARB update - any news?

(sincerely - the OTHER CA pest)
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by fauxrs
almost 3 months since last CARB update - any news?

(sincerely - the OTHER CA pest)
17.5 mpg with a q-jet. I wanna go for 20+.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 117 Posts

Has anyone else had problems with the computer on these things. The shop that did my crate motor install used to install these but after getting 3 in a row with bad computers they quit using FAST and went back to the holley TPI. FAST did send new control units for each kit but for some reason everyone of them were bad. They did like 10 total. 7 went in perfect but the last 3 just crapped out.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Any Updates? I really don't care about fuel economy. I cringe a bit when I hear people talking about how many MPG they are up to. They should just buy a Prius and be done with it. I haven't read every post in this thread but I am interested in hearing from those folks that have switched from a carb to a TPI or MPI system and if they had improved power and torque at the lower rpm range as well as throttle response. Is there a significant diff between TPI and MPI other than cost.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
I really don't care about fuel economy. I cringe a bit when I hear people talking about how many MPG they are up to.
Me too buddy! I'm gonna make up a tripower setup this winter just so I can smell the raw gas! This FI is too high tech. and too $$$
Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I changed the dizzy vacuum advance to the rear (actual) vacuum port on the throttle body. I also replaced my MOROSO 8MM wired with some MSD 8.5 MM wires. I have not been to the drag strip or dyno since I did this, but the car seems to be running fine. As soon as I get some $$, I will be getting the programmable MSD-6AL and do away with the mechanical advance and vacuum canister advance. This should give me the flexibility to program my advance curve to make optimal power.

The fuel mileage really helps when I am driving my 39 year old Vette with a big group of C5's and C6's on long trips. I can hold out as long as any 60+ year old bladder, now.

I am struggling with a small exhaust leak at my headers that is throwing off my O2 levels and causing a fluctuating idle, but I have a new set of exhaust gaskets that should take care of that issue.

The computer is fine, and I have had no issues so far.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 301 Posts

Where did you mount the 12v switched wire?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:32 PM
PuddleJumper
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my only bitching complaint is there is no spreadbore type for this..
Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Ive ordered up the fast xfi, with the traction control ecu, I will let you guys know how it goes soon

dave
Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by c3_dk
Where did you mount the 12v switched wire?
My car had the MSD ignition box on it when I got it. I used the same switched power that it is using. I tried the wiper motor wire, but it goes dead when the ignition switch is turned to the "start" position and it gave the computer fits trying to start and I basically flooded the car every time I tried to start it. Now it starts instantly.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:41 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Curby
I have mine installed on my 72 big block. With the carb, I had idle issues where it would not settle out where I wanted it to. It was either stumbling at 500 RPM, running at 1300 RPM, or oscillating between the two. Every once in a while it would stabilize at about 800 but a few minutes later it would be all over the pace again.

I added the EZ EFI system hoping it will solve these problems, but I still have idle issues. It must be either the cam, a vacuum, or a timing issue.

This Saturday I am going through the valves and re-adjusting them, I will re-check the base and the advance timing, and replacing the spark plugs again. maybe I will find the culprit.

Overall the car is running much better with the EFI. The throttle response is much better, and I beleive I am getting better fuel mileage.

I am adjusting the target Air Fuel Ratio's to see if they affect the way the car runs. Right now, I have the idle AFR set at 14.1, the cruise AFR set at 14.9, and the WOT AFR set at 12.8 I have no idea if these are close, correct, or what.

I just installed a new differential, so I am in the break-in period so Ican not do any hard driving.

I am taking the car on the Hot Rod Power Tour this year so I should have some good data when it is over mid-June.
Do you have the vac advance line from your distributor hooked up to a full-time vac source? If so, try connecting it to the port that does not have a vacuum at idle.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:15 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 71coupe
Do you have the vac advance line from your distributor hooked up to a full-time vac source? If so, try connecting it to the port that does not have a vacuum at idle.
I think thats the first time anyone has suggested this method. I have always read here to do the opposite and connect to full vacuum to correct an idle issue.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:21 AM
bluzman2004
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a port on the front of the throttle body specifically for the vacuum advance to be hooked to. If you connect the vacuum advance to manifold (full time) vacuum when your idle moves around the vacuum will too. Now your timing is moving around as well as the MAP sensor sees this and is changing the fuel, too. The the IAC motor is trying to lower or raise rpm to try and keep up. The whole system gets into a chase situation.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me play devils advocate,first i like the system but in my mind i cant put out over a thousand dollars for something that wont be a big seat of the pants difference,like a blower or turbo etc.From what i have been told ,there is no big difference in hp or performance,just alot better tuning,and runs smoother ,less tuning problems,a little better throttle response.Now tell the truth guys that have this system,is it worth it?And make the guys at work ,i work with,not know what they are talking about Do you think its worth that much $ or maybe half the price? FI i nice ,but i think they are too much $. compared to other performance gain parts in that price range.And remember,its already been proven that a carb will out perform FI in the 1/4 . Well,in magazines.Other then that FI runs best.Is that true? Just trying to justify the high cost of these systems,dont beat on me too bad just trying to understand ALL the benefits of these systems.I wonder how it would run on a blower .

Get notified of new replies

To F.A.S.T. EZ-EFI; is anyone using this yet?

Old 10-23-2010, 04:24 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 157 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
Let me play devils advocate,first i like the system but in my mind i cant put out over a thousand dollars for something that wont be a big seat of the pants difference,like a blower or turbo etc.From what i have been told ,there is no big difference in hp or performance,just alot better tuning,and runs smoother ,less tuning problems,a little better throttle response.Now tell the truth guys that have this system,is it worth it?And make the guys at work ,i work with,not know what they are talking about Do you think its worth that much $ or maybe half the price? FI i nice ,but i think they are too much $. compared to other performance gain parts in that price range.And remember,its already been proven that a carb will out perform FI in the 1/4 . Well,in magazines.Other then that FI runs best.Is that true? Just trying to justify the high cost of these systems,dont beat on me too bad just trying to understand ALL the benefits of these systems.I wonder how it would run on a blower .
Got 24mpg on the highway @ 80mph with my 550HP 406ci in OD, tuned properly with an LM-1. Going to do the same test soon on my 427ci, expecting over 20mpg. No need for FI for me, tune the carb properly and put in an OD transmission
Old 10-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Got 24mpg on the highway @ 80mph with my 550HP 406ci in OD, tuned properly with an LM-1. Going to do the same test soon on my 427ci, expecting over 20mpg. No need for FI for me, tune the carb properly and put in an OD transmission
Exactly what i mean ,in my mind the big money for this system doesnt justify it ,unless you want something different.Im just trying to find out about it.If i were to put down this money ,i better get a big old grin on my face when i run it ,like a blower or nos.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Billysvette
Now tell the truth guys that have this system,is it worth it?

I started this thread, and I have had the EZ-EFI running on my car since the start of the driving season this year. I have had no problems or issues with it at all, my car runs awesome with it.

Was it worth it? That question has both subjective and objective answers.

In my opinion, carbs are a pain in the azz. I have an LM-1 air/fuel meter, and I used it to tune my carb. Once I learned how to use it, I was able to tune my carb pretty well, but not perfectly. That really annoyed me, because I like perfect, or as close as possible to it. You tune a few functions of carb, and others are not tuned. You tune the other funtions, and then the first ones you already tuned are now out of tune! When you tune a carb, it is a game of compromises. You can be happy with this, but have to live with that. When you tune a carb, it is tuned for the temp/humidity/barometric pressure of the day you tuned it. When those variables change, the tune changes, and a carb cannot completely adjust for them by itself.

With an efi system, the air/fuel ratio is constantly changed, in real time, as needed. No carb can do that, no matter how well you think you have it tuned. That's worth it.

I can watch all the parameters of the EZ-EFI system like coolant temp, throttle position, intake air temp, air/fuel ratio, rpm, battery voltage, ect, ect....in real time on the fly, even while I am driving, and I like that. That's worth it.

With the EZ-EFI system, I can change the idle speed, air/fuel ratio, rev limiter, ect, ect....on the fly, or even while I am driving with the handheld controller. Going on a long highway trip? I can change the cruise air/fuel ratio to as lean as my motor will stand after I get on the on ramp. Or before. Whenever I want without lifting the hood. That's worth it.

With the EZ-EFI system, I can change the temps that my electric fan operates on and off at without ever opening the hood. Not something that I'm likely to do very often, but I can do it if I want, and I like that. That's worth it.

When I get out of my car after a drive, I no longer reek of exhaust fumes, nor does my garage....and I don't run catalytic convertors. That's worth it.

I can start a dead cold motor thats been sitting for a week, and drive away immediately without an issue. That's worth it.

My throttle response and drivability are much improved, as is my mpg. I have a healthy 406 making 500+ hp. I went from 8-9mpg to 18+mpg, without an OD transmission. That's worth it. (on a side note, the Tremec TKO600 5spd goes in this winter for even better mpg! )

I like to be different, and have things that seperate my car from the rest of the herd. I also like and embrace new technology. There is also the coolness factor. That's worth it.

Now for the negative.

There is little or no hp/tq or performance gains, for a relatively high output of cash. If that's all you are looking for, then it's not worth it.

There is good reason why all modern cars use efi. Awesome power, awesome drivability, and awesome mpg. And that's a fact. I think alot more people would like to change their carbs to efi, but are either afraid of the technology, or can't afford it, or can't justify the cost of it. To tune a carb to the max, you need a good easily tuneable carb like a Holley HP, and an air/fuel meter, as well as all the tuning parts like jets, squirters, pump cams, air bleeds, ect, ect....which all bought brand new is WELL over $1000. BTW, my 750 cfm Holley HP carb, LM-1 air/fuel meter, and all my Holley tuning parts are now for sale.

And now for some gratuitous pics of my EZ-EFI system:

Quick Reply: F.A.S.T. EZ-EFI; is anyone using this yet?