C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C 3 door glass adjustment coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:19 PM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ohh ,Im knee deep in this car, cant stop now!!! Installing motor and trans tomorrow...Then a few finishing touches to the susp, and on to interior!!
Old 09-07-2019, 05:45 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Corvette Door Glass

Okay, here is what I can add. I bought left and right door glass for my 1979 Corvette, and could not get them to fit!! Put the old ones in and fit perfect I bought from Auto City Auto Glass and contacted them with my problem, I will report back on how things go. Any one know of a quality manufactured door glass for a 79 Corvette?
Old 09-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 199 Posts

I assume you are in the USA. Why not look for some good second hand ones? These should be fairly easy to come by there? My '70 came to me with a lot of scratches on the door glass caused by the wiper seals going hard and cracking. I fitted door glass from a later 75 or 77 and they fit perfectly. I did lose the Astro ventilation stickers that were on the originals though so I got a local sign writing company to scan one and replicate them.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:45 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Corvette Door Glass

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
I assume you are in the USA. Why not look for some good second hand ones? These should be fairly easy to come by there? My '70 came to me with a lot of scratches on the door glass caused by the wiper seals going hard and cracking. I fitted door glass from a later 75 or 77 and they fit perfectly. I did lose the Astro ventilation stickers that were on the originals though so I got a local sign writing company to scan one and replicate them.
Excellent follow up! I have a lot of parts around and did find a right side correct glass. I just tried to make this car over the top. The new glass had a hazing when looked at an angle and did not fit. I have decided that minor scratches compared to a set that don't fit, well that's a no brainier I guess the reason for my post is to help out another Corvette brother learn by my mistakes, check the new glass against the new one before you do the install, AL.

Last edited by IDOXLR8; 09-08-2019 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-08-2019, 04:54 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The local Corvette service place says they rarely have one that aligns very well . It was a GM engineering disaster that is a nightmare to adjust especially with new weatherstrio. They will give it 2 hrs labor and "that's as good as it gets" so not to run up a bill. If they do this all the time what does you and me go?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 199 Posts

Takes time and patience to get the windows aligned. Best advice I have seen posted is to put masking tape around the edges of the window and the corresponding edge the window opening, put marker pen lines across both tapes so that as you move the glass around you have a reference to work to.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:24 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 287 Posts

I once read on the forum that a guy aligned his glass by loosening the all the places you loosen to make adjustments and then with some help, with door closed, and using rubber cups, sandwiched them on the glass and pulled the glass up where it fit and then tightened them back up and shazaam, good fit. Have not tried it myself but if I ever replace my seals again, I might.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:36 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RIO68
Just an update on door glasses. Replaced my rear glass weatherstrip with CRC rubber and my glasses will adjust and fit. Some discussion on the forum about weatherstrip and that was my problem. My weatherstrip was so hard and thick the glass was binding up and would not go up like it should. So I guess word to the wise--check out some of the stuff that is around-some just doesn't seem to work correctly.

PM me for pointers! I had this battle and winning .
The following 2 users liked this post by IDOXLR8:
CA-Legal-Vette (11-11-2019), Robert Murphy (06-17-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:31 PM
kjgcsmith
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone able to solve the problem of getting the window more "Outboard" tilt? I have been struggling for weeks. recently added to shims to align door, replaced all the window rollers and put new lithium grease on all tracks. Right now, I have my driver glass rails pulled all the way in (maximum outboard tilt) but I still need a good quarter inch outboard when the glass is rolled up. I pulled my "A" pillar weatherstrip as I did not like the alignment with T-Top. Hope the pics help.
Thanks

Quick Reply: C 3 door glass adjustment coupe