C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater control vacuum hose schematic

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1968 Non-AC Heater control vacuum hose schematic

Bubba disconnected all the vac lines from the heater box plenum actuators. I'll need to get new vac control hoses anyway, but I have no idea how these puppies hook up! There are 2 actuators, a larger vertical one at the driver's side end of the heater box and a smaller horizontally mounted one on top of the heater box near the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. The larger actuator has 4 vacuum fittings, a curved and a straight on either side. The smaller actuator has just 2 fittings, a straight and a curved.

Those of you who are looking at the heater box assembly below the passenger dash will know exactly what I'm describing. There are 4 vac lines coming off the driver's side heater control wheel which DO have color coding, and 2 coming off the passenger side heater control wheel which do not appear to be color coded.

Any pictures or schematics out there?

Last edited by Grinchia; 10-30-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: needed more precise title
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Doc Rebuild.

http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/9222104.HTML
Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Giving myself a bump here...I looked at doc rebuild but couldn't find anything that looked like my '68 non-ac setup schematic. There are a total of 6 apparent bibs for a vacuum hose on 2 different actuators that live on my heater box. There are only 6 hoses coming off of my heater control vacuum manifold/switches, and one of them is a shorty that connects to a "T" off of the driver side vacuum switch. On of these hoses originally traversed the firewall, but I have no idea where it went after that as it was cut off flush with the firewall when I bought the car. Can anyone help me out here? A picture of the heater box in a '68 without air would be a good start...a schematic would be even better.

On a related note, the "octopus" vacuum hose harness that connects to the heater control unit in this car is showing it's age...does anyone know of a supplier of replacement vacuum CONTROL hoses? When I search the vendors all I seem to find are the larger vacuum hoses that do the work, not the little bitty control hoses that attach directly to the heater console thumbwheel switches...and terminate at the actuators on the heater box.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Grinchia
There are 4 vac lines coming off the driver's side heater control wheel which DO have color coding, and 2 coming off the passenger side heater control wheel which do not appear to be color coded.
This diagram looks like what your talking about as far as the heater control.
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/9222120.HTML
Old 10-31-2009, 09:41 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

The Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual for your year car has the diagrams you need. You should have a copy (along with a copy of the A.I.M.) if you do any work on your car.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual for your year car has the diagrams you need. You should have a copy (along with a copy of the A.I.M.) if you do any work on your car.
Interesting...I have the AIM, but I have not to this point heard of the Chassis Service Manual...I'll do a search and see if I can locate one. The AIM does not seem to have the particular information I need. Lots of info on AC cars, not so much for mine.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
This diagram looks like what your talking about as far as the heater control.
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/9222120.HTML
That looks like it all right. I just looked carefully and what I took to be a second vacuum port on each of those actuators was really just a post for the vacuum hose flange to fasten to. I believe that should do it! Thank you.

-Roy
Old 05-13-2020, 11:05 PM
Dougmmarshall
2nd Gear

Default 1969-1970 Heater Vacuum Hose

Bubba disconnected all the vac lines from the heater box plenum actuators. I'll need to get new vac control hoses anyway, but I have no idea how these puppies hook up! There are 2 actuators, a larger vertical one at the driver's side end of the heater box and a smaller horizontally mounted one on top of the heater box near the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. The larger actuator has 4 vacuum fittings, a curved and a straight on either side. The smaller actuator has just 2 fittings, a straight and a curved.

Those of you who are looking at the heater box assembly below the passenger dash will know exactly what I'm describing. There are 4 vac lines coming off the driver's side heater control wheel which DO have color coding, and 2 coming off the passenger side heater control wheel which do not appear to be color coded.

Any pictures or schematics out there?

These diagrams will help for 1969-1970 heater vacuum systems. The old hoses have to be drilled out of some of the couplers and the new ones glued into place. Use a 1/8” bit. There are YouTube videos available.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:18 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 941 Likes on 815 Posts

Let me look at my 68 AIM....I don't remember many vacuum lines going to heater control on my 1968 non-a/c.... back in a sec.

Giving myself a bump here...I looked at doc rebuild but couldn't find anything that looked like my '68 non-ac setup schematic. There are a total of 6 apparent bibs for a vacuum hose on 2 different actuators that live on my heater box. There are only 6 hoses coming off of my heater control vacuum manifold/switches, and one of them is a shorty that connects to a "T" off of the driver side vacuum switch. On of these hoses originally traversed the firewall, but I have no idea where it went after that as it was cut off flush with the firewall when I bought the car. Can anyone help me out here? A picture of the heater box in a '68 without air would be a good start...a schematic would be even better.

On a related note, the "octopus" vacuum hose harness that connects to the heater control unit in this car is showing it's age...does anyone know of a supplier of replacement vacuum CONTROL hoses? When I search the vendors all I seem to find are the larger vacuum hoses that do the work, not the little bitty control hoses that attach directly to the heater console thumbwheel switches...and terminate at the actuators on the heater box.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:28 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

here. take a peek. Pretty sure the NON-A/C was cable controlled. I pulled it out about 15 years ago so not absolutely certain, but pretty dang sure.

Last edited by carriljc; 05-13-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:46 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

2009 ?
Old 05-14-2020, 01:54 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

haha.... I did not notice the original date

Get notified of new replies

To Heater control vacuum hose schematic