C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 ls-5 belt and bracket pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:58 PM
scott@buildandtune
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970-1 bbc belt pulleys

Hi I saw airtimes pulley photos. I have a 70 454 I want to install factory a.c. on.Does airtime or anyone else have pics of the ac brackets for this car? ALSO it looks like the ac runs off the first groove? I bought used and repo parts- ahh! my front ac pivot bolt has issues lol the bracket appears not to have been spot faced where the bolt head goes- the ac compressor does not have a cutout/ relief? to allow the pivot bolt to screw into the pivot bracket. does the crank only use a 2 groove pulley? is the 3rd groove on the water pump for the air pump? what size is the ac pump pulley? is 70 different then 71? thanks scott
Old 06-21-2016, 07:23 PM
airtime
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scott@buildandtune
Hi I saw airtimes pulley photos. I have a 70 454 I want to install factory a.c. on.Does airtime or anyone else have pics of the ac brackets for this car? ALSO it looks like the ac runs off the first groove? I bought used and repo parts- ahh! my front ac pivot bolt has issues lol the bracket appears not to have been spot faced where the bolt head goes- the ac compressor does not have a cutout/ relief? to allow the pivot bolt to screw into the pivot bracket. does the crank only use a 2 groove pulley? is the 3rd groove on the water pump for the air pump? what size is the ac pump pulley? is 70 different then 71? thanks scott
Scott unless u r looking for an original appearance I would check in to vintage air or something similar. Several folks have been less than pleased with factory Ac performance. Ajrothen out after market on his Ls-5. Mine has factory Ac and alot of aftermarket heat and sound deadening material but I have not yet charged the system to try it out.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 PM
airtime
Pro

Originally Posted by airtime
Scott unless u r looking for an original appearance I would check in to vintage air or something similar. Several folks have been less than pleased with factory Ac performance. Ajrothen out after market on his Ls-5. Mine has factory Ac and alot of aftermarket heat and sound deadening material but I have not yet charged the system to try it out.
I don't remember how to post pics here but if u PM me I will send u a few pics of my factory Ac bracket and maybe u can post them for other members.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:43 PM
scott@buildandtune
3rd Gear

Default 70 bbc ac brackets

Hi Gerald, Properly set up the stock system will freeze you out of the car. I have all the stock brackets. I am seeing repo parts sellers as having no knowledge or interest regarding what is required to build a mechanically sound car. We spent $3000? with one of the companies who also supplied the alt. and p.s. brackets. When I called with questions- not criticisms-they stopped picking up the phone. Your pics clarified all my questions except for my a.c. brackets. I remembered (so did my friends) the a.c.belt being first on. Your pic confirms that. The company who supplied the idler sent the wrong hardware with it. Yours were the first clear pics/ drawings of how the belts fit. Gates does not have a drawing- ahhh. I am sure I have a stock a.c. parts mismatch. I am shocked at the lack of credible info/knowledge regarding these cars The company who rebuilt my compressor says there are 3 different pulleys for the frigidaire compressor. I think I have the wrong a.c.compressor pulley. I would like to confirm this before driving a 100 miles to the re builder.If you could post 2-3 pics of your a.c. compressor mounted, I can confirm my bracket and pulley issues. . Dont use 134 in your car- you will not be happy. Let me know if I can help you with anything. scott
Old 06-22-2016, 01:10 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 570 Likes on 447 Posts

Default Much Thanks for the photos

Much Thanks for the photos and thread.

I am trying to get belts set up on my 454 NOM 1968 Corvette with new Vintage Air and could not figure out how the belts should be set up. Your photos and thread were very helpful particularly the tensioner pulley and alternator bracket. I got an alternator bracket for no a/c and no PS. I see your alternator bracket set up is for a/c, PS, and I think there is another 3rd alternator bracket set up for a/c and no PS, that I hope I have ordered. Will see. Thanks again. BTW, this is the second VA setup I have put in, my vote is for VA too.

Last edited by 20mercury; 06-22-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:03 AM
airtime
Pro

Originally Posted by 20mercury
Much Thanks for the photos and thread.

I am trying to get belts set up on my 454 NOM 1968 Corvette with new Vintage Air and could not figure out how the belts should be set up. Your photos and thread were very helpful particularly the tensioner pulley and alternator bracket. I got an alternator bracket for no a/c and no PS. I see your alternator bracket set up is for a/c, PS, and I think there is another 3rd alternator bracket set up for a/c and no PS, that I hope I have ordered. Will see. Thanks again. BTW, this is the second VA setup I have put in, my vote is for VA too.
I have va in my 71 Camaro. No comparison between factory Ac and vintage air as far as air flow. But since 71 corvette is original I am stuck with factory air. Scott I will snap some pics this afternoon. If I don't email them to u reply on this thread and remind me
The following 2 users liked this post by airtime:
20mercury (06-22-2016), scott@buildandtune (06-22-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 12:05 AM
scott@buildandtune
3rd Gear

Default brackets belts and pulleys

I have va in my 71 Camaro. No comparison between factory Ac and vintage air as far as air flow. But since 71 corvette is original I am stuck with factory air. Scott I will snap some pics this afternoon. If I don't email them to u reply on this thread and remind me
lol u said to remind you. I am most anxious to see your compressor/ pulley. I am also curious about the front a.c. pivot bolt/ bracket hole- thanks- scott
Old 06-23-2016, 12:35 PM
airtime
Pro

Originally Posted by scott@buildandtune
lol u said to remind you. I am most anxious to see your compressor/ pulley. I am also curious about the front a.c. pivot bolt/ bracket hole- thanks- scott

Well I try and remember this afternoon completely forgot yesterday. Sorry

Quick Reply: 71 ls-5 belt and bracket pics