C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'72 W/W switch console plate attaching screws?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:37 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 911 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default '72 W/W switch console plate attaching screws?

Redoing my console and found that not only was the top part of the gauge cluster housing missing, where the windshield wiper plate and AC vents attach, that I don't know what size screw holds the W/W console plate to my new gauge cluster housing.

It looks to use some sort of self tapping screw on each side, does anybody know what size screw and where to obtain them? Right now the top center screw is the only thing holding this on

These two screws are on the underside of this plate, so they are installed at a close to vertical angle. If that makes sense.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 05-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Doug,
Try ZIP Products.
Bezel Screw Set. 7 pieces (4 chrome plated and 3 black), ZSF-470.
Make sure you use the right screw for the top of the wiper switch bezel. Too long a screw puts a hole on the upper dash pad.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the reminder about ZIP products, I had heard of them before, but forgot to look there. They have several things I can use that the other vendors don't seem to carry.

I figured out the dash pad, long screw thing before I even started. Putting ones finger on top of the pad, and feeling for potential penetration during screw install was no brainer.

I had to drill a hole in the underside of the pad for defroster duct install as one screw wouldn't line up. I was real careful not to drill too deep.

Someone had obviously had my dash apart in the distant past, installing an aftermarket stereo and speakers,and didn't do too good of a job getting it back together. It looked OK, but a lot of the screws weren't installed, or had missed the floating nuts at the outside of the vertical pads. Probably why it seemed loose and not quite lined up.

I thought the black nylon pantyhose material used to black out the speaker from the dash speaker grill holes was a nice touch.

The center header trim panel was the worst part, only the horizontal screw holes were capable of lining up, and I had to drill the birdcage for the underneath holes. No biggie, though. No way to align the four underside holes on or off the car.

Doug
Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

That black fiber netting over the speaker is to keep any larger dirt/debris from getting to the speaker cone. If it did, you would have a nasty rattle whenever the radio was turned on...and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it except take everything apart. It was installed by GM over the speakers.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
That black fiber netting over the speaker is to keep any larger dirt/debris from getting to the speaker cone. If it did, you would have a nasty rattle whenever the radio was turned on...and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it except take everything apart. It was installed by GM over the speakers.
Mine had a nice lace pattern in it.

Didn't know GM installed something similar.

Thanks,
Doug

Get notified of new replies

To '72 W/W switch console plate attaching screws?

Quick Reply: '72 W/W switch console plate attaching screws?