C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The start of my 454 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
The last time I check, the big block is longer than a small block. The big block is in the car correctly.
I'm not talking about length. I'm talking about the fan position up and down and side to side. Small block and big block is the same. If the fan and shroud fit with the small block, it will still fit with the big block. The fan will just be a little closer to the radiator, but it's not enough to make any difference.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Just a little update. Got the taurus fan installed and wired. I Found a great wiring diagram where the low speed will run off of a tem probe and the high speed is operated by a toggle switch incase the engine gets hot with low I can turn on the high with a switch. theres a relay that shuts off the low speed when the high speed comes on. I also found out that the plug wires from a truck the same year as the motor work great and are away from the headers.
I actually backed the beast off the ramps and drove it around the block, or maybe idled around the block . I got some minor odds and ends to do. should be able to take a drive by the end of the weekend. A friend of mine has a resessed air cleaner tucked away somewhere. I am going to see if that works till I get my L88 hood scoop installed.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:24 AM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to be a good feeling when you were finally able to drive it even around the block. A lot of people have been following this thread and are anxious for you to get finished (if that ever really happens).
Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Originally Posted by sweeet76
Had to be a good feeling when you were finally able to drive it even around the block. A lot of people have been following this thread and are anxious for you to get finished (if that ever really happens).
Lol, it will happen. Its just I have a couple kids, one is 5 and in his first year of school. I have a stepson who is 18 and graduating here in a month. Then theres yardwork and house repairs and guest coming for the graduation. Then to top it off, I am on a bologna budget and can only buy parts here and there. I still need a power steering pump for it cause the small block one wont work, and to top it off, the radiator has a small leak that looks like the p.o repaired and it came back when I cleaned it out.
I wish I was like others who could just stroke a check and get what I need asap, but I cant. I always wanted a vette and wasnt going to give up that want just cause I do not have alot of coin.
I am on the brink of being done. It will happen, oh yes it will.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:10 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will all be worth it in the end and yes, I believe it will happen. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

I ordered the p/s pump yesterday, should have it this week. I put some repair stuff in the radiator to see if stops the leak. If not I will have to pull back out and have it repaired. Heres a couple pics from a cheap floppy disc camera. I will try to get betta pics later.

And fyi, the hood closes with the air cleaner that is on there. The motor is stock with stock manifold and qjet carb.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this thread.
I have a 454 in my motor home that I haven't driven for 4 years.
It's a passenger car engine with Edelbrock cam, manifold and Doug Thourly headers.

This thing is a beast.
Ever do 100mph in a 27 foot motor home?
It pulls the Sierra's easily.
I can only imagine it in a 3300 pound car.

Keep us updated and the MPG is of interest to me also.
I have gotten as high as 14mpg in the motor home from Sacramento to Bakersfield.

Ralph
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats on successfully pioneering a true low-budget install! i say that in all seriousness & honesty. I am envious of your being able to close it up with a stock hood, although I can see that is due to the pancake-flat no-rise intake manifold, still envious, though. is it cast-iron?

it's good to stick with the budget, instead of paying for it with plastic, and then you're paying the bank for a long time. been there, made that grievous mistake...

since i'm sure you're not using GM or repro pulleys, what kind of crank, waterpump pulleys are you using?

also similarly, what brackets are you using to mount the alternator, and PS pump?

a piece of home-made flat steel plate could replace your non-functioning EGR valve.

good job!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Thank you.

The manifold is the stock one that came on the motor.

The crank and water pump pulleys are aftermarket chromies that are I guess copies of the late sixties style,plus they also line up with the Alt pulley when using a late sixties lower alt mount. The upper alt mount I thought was too bulky looking, So I tried the upper mount from my small black and it work with the spacer I made. The p/s mount bracket is a one pc, and I am waiting the the p/s pump to come in. Hopefully it will line up also and I will be done. So far the pulleys and mounts have only cost me $60. I do have a couple extra pulleys I got for free, will throw those on ebay and re-coup some costs.
I will be making a egr cover plate here shortly, once everything is buttoned up. I drove it a couple miles and everything seems to be working and no leaks. Just cannot steer it lol.
Heres a couple more pics :

Last edited by scrappy76; 05-08-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

on my C3, i ended up removing the PS, so I know what you mean. pulled an arm muscle once while trying to parallel park. but got used to it.

no PS for 2 reasons:
- damn 1950's vintage slave cylinder and control valve ALWAYS end up leaking, chronic, whether it's after 6 months or a year, got tired of that;

- installed an LT1 oil pan when it was still a SBC, not realizing LT1's were not avail with PS (because of the oil pan). the deep extended sump occupies the home of the slave cylinder.

when the big block went in, to hell with the PS...

i might have to rethink that at some time.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
FatRatShark
Heel & Toe

Did this on a 74 L82, all i replaced was the brackets, pulleys, Rad. hoses and power steering pressure hose. And Pulled all the ac crap out.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

I got the power steering pump mounted and the double pulley I installed on it lined up with the other pulleys. Only problem now which I am trying to fixed is the Alt belt which is going between the gap of the p/s pulley and the p/s pulley body, is slightly touching the top of the p/s pump shaft body. There is adjustment space with the p/s pump where I can lower it, just have to buy a little longer belt. Plus I can raise the Alt about one belt size. This should put the belt away from where its touching. So off to the parts store tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 PM
twostroke lover
Heel & Toe

Default 454 swap

hmmm you got me thinking . i have a 454 and it didnt come from a truck
but its currently in a duelly crew cab and the engine moves it real good
its got a surp setup and everythings in about the same place as the small block thats in the car
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

I got some better fitting belts for my application and all is good. So Alt is great and power steering is functional. no belts rubbing. Now all that is left is the Radiator leak and waiting for my muffler inserts to come in. I will go back thru everything make sure all is tight and hooked up.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Got the muffler inserts installed. I also added a couple holes in each end cause stock reverse flows were too quiet. Sounds great. I patched the radiator leak with some jb weld, till I have enough money to buy a new radiator. I have been taking it for short cruises making sure all is tight and everything is in working order. Once I get a new radiator, I will again start driving it all the time like I normally do. I have a couple finishing things to do, but the swap is complete. I am going to start on the L88 hood scoop install here in a few weeks. Thank you all for your advise and tidbits that were offered.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:03 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Great to here you go the motor in.

welcome to the BB club

Neal
Old 06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the install. Your determination is also impressive. Most of what I do with my Corvette is illogical and usually expensive. You were able to scratch an itch without blowing lots of cash. Job Well Done!

Quick Reply: The start of my 454 swap