C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral Safety Switch Wiring Oddity

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Paul B 1971
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
This might be difficult to understand but I'll try.
During "testing" (not guessing) if one of our members is asking for help and goes to the switch and puts a 12v test light on the exposed terminal of the purple/white and the test light fails to light he is going to assume at that point there is no power coming from the ignition switch because he was testing the WRONG wire.

We've all experienced these little wrong turns while diagnosing an electrical problem ,which for some of us is a momentary hmmm but for a rookie it can have him dropping the steering column to inspect the ignition switch and then "Corvette electrical system overload".
hi, I am just having trouble getting the safety switch working on my 71, can you tell me where the 2 purple wires go, as when i close the contacts in the switch ( i have it apart) the car starts fine, but as i understand it when the contacts are open, i can still start the car....so i was wondering if they lead to a relay that may be faulty

any help appreciated
​​​​​​​Paul
Old 05-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Paul,
Welcome!
First Post! I'm glad you're here!
I believe you'll find that the 12 gauge purple wire runs to the solenoid on the starter in one direction, and to the ignition switch in the other.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Paul B 1971
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Paul,
Welcome!
First Post! I'm glad you're here!
I believe you'll find that the 12 gauge purple wire runs to the solenoid on the starter in one direction, and to the ignition switch in the other.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks, i cant work out why it starts in gear when the switch is open...any ideas?
Old 05-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Paul,
Sometimes bubba felt he didn't need the safety switch and ran a wire to by-pass it.
Have you looked for any sign of some of his 'add-on' electrical work?
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Paul B 1971
4th Gear

Hi Paul,
Sometimes bubba felt he didn't need the safety switch and ran a wire to by-pass it.
Regards,
Alan
the purple wires dissapear into the harness in the console and look to be un altered, might have to check further along for bubbas work....
cheers
​​​​​​​Paul
Old 05-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Paul B 1971
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Paul B 1971
the purple wires dissapear into the harness in the console and look to be un altered, might have to check further along for bubbas work....
cheers
​​​​​​​Paul
Mmmmm..... I just checked the starter solenoid and there is a white wire with a home crimped end on it where a fat purple wire should be. Bubba....

will check ignition switch tomorrow, getting late here in Australia

​​​​​​​thanks
Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 575 Likes on 290 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hi Paul,
Regards,
Alan
Alan is correct about the "add on" electrical work. Many of us old guys have bypassed the switch only to re-locate it some other place, basically a theft deterrent when one goes into a store, just flip the switch. Usually the new switch was mounted under the ashtray, easy to get to.

Some people can get really creative and create a wiring disaster.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:26 PM
tstruth
Cruising

Hello All,
I am glad I found this post. I am having some difficulty with my NSS on a 1975. Took apart the shifter and notice some cut wires. The PO put in an inline 20 amp fuse. Fuse was blown. Replaced it and she started right up. Problem now is it continues to blow once I shift to N. Checked the wiring but do not see anything out of the ordinary. But then again I'm learning. Why bypass the switch?

Quick Reply: Neutral Safety Switch Wiring Oddity