C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best engine oil for an old stock 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

'Anything But Rotella'. It should actually be the 'Anything But CJ-4' since you disdain them all equally if I read your posts correctly.

But as always- everybody's free to choose what they want. Right?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
Thanks for reading through the sticky!

I'm surprised that no local stores carry Valvoline, Moble 1 or Castrol in the weights listed...very common weights and brands and contrary to what others note, not exactly "boutique" ;-) I would expect that any parts store that carries those brands would be able to get you a few cases of whatever you choose.

IMHO, I'd bite the bullet and put in the order. I wouldn't take the shortcut route...but it's your 'Vette.
they seriously don't. I've been using Mobil1 10-30 in my car and I went to look for the 15-50 and no one around here carries it.

all I find for Royal purple is RP in 5-30 and 10-30, no 10-40.

I looked at all the bottles in every store and they are all rated SN or SM

the mobil1 10-30 I used was SL

If I have to order online no big deal, but I like to go out to the store and just buy oil
Old 08-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Currently using Royal Purple 10W40 "synerlec" or something like that. FWIW I noticed higher oil pressure at idle (though not at speed) and lower engine temps when I switched to the Royal Purple from Valvoline (non-synthetic). My 2c
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
'Anything But Rotella'. It should actually be the 'Anything But CJ-4' since you disdain them all equally if I read your posts correctly.

But as always- everybody's free to choose what they want. Right?
Thank you.

Yes, as noted in many posts my and others' research show lead us to conclude that diesel oil is not the right choice for this application, although there are certainly many other choices - which was my purpose in writing and maintaining the sticky.

Your research leads you to a different conclusion.

While I (we) disagree with your research and conclusion, I don't make personal attacks regarding your position.

Let's enjoy our freedoms...without abusing them!

Last edited by billla; 08-10-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 PM
69vettester
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to run on high zinc dino before I replaced the engine..My rebuilt truck motor would not hold the high grade synthetics, whichever one.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:06 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by qwank
they seriously don't.

If I have to order online no big deal, but I like to go out to the store and just buy oil
I didn't doubt ya, just surprised

Pretty much everything on the shelf in the mainstream major outlets is going to be SM/SN, as those are the current specs

If there's an autoparts place specifically, it's worth checking and asking. I'm in a pretty small town, and the NAPA carries Valvoline, Mobile 1 and RP in all the weights.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

While I (we) disagree with your research and conclusion, I don't make personal attacks regarding your position.

Let's enjoy our freedoms...without abusing them!
OK, that's fine- if you don't quote me (we) out of context. Tell the whole story, or none at all. Deal?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

OK, that's fine- if you don't quote me (we) out of context. Tell the whole story, or none at all. Deal?
I've never quoted you out of context, but I'll select the posts that I choose to link - as you can as well. I think that's freedom of speech, right ?

I'd suggest that you post your case on the sticky, and I'll link that into my sticky as another counter-case to diesel oils along with the others that are linked there. That will ensure that folks get both sides.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

OK then, let's both play the 'Slippery Sam' game to end yet another chapter of getting nowhere.

I didn't mention your name above at all when referring the ABR club, or any other person in specific. How then could I be guilty of making personal attacks?

You have your views on the subject and your list of 'experts' that have you convinced that your position is correct. I have mine. The two views directly conflict. I'm not interested in going further with chipping away at yours as it will be futile.

How about you extended the same courtesy to my (our) views and let it go?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Good grief, Mike - I just noted that I wasn't going to be bound by any restrictions placed by you. That freedom thing you talked about, remember?

On the other thread you made a number of personal attacks - I didn't feel the need to bring those into this thread. And here a smart-*** comment about the "President of the ABR Club" (since edited) is similarly not helpful...but it appears that you just can't disagree without being disagreeable.

I've done my level best to be reasonable here, but it's just not working - so I'd suggest that you put me on your <ignore> list as I have now done with you - and we'll live in blissful ignorance of each others' posts
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

In the interest of telling the whole story and not just convenient extracts:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-question.html
Post # 32 and 34 are interesting also. There has been thousands of hours of research by dozens of intelligent CF members over the last 4 years addressing this very question on the oil sticky which was linked earlier. The diesel oil debate has been beat to death and the high detergent levels in most diesel formulations reduce the effectiveness of the phosphorous in the oil. This is a fact. It is undisputed. I wiped a cam in 2006 with Rotella T 15-40. Used it for well over 20 years before that with no problems but that wiped cam cost me a real nice 302 and the replacement engine cost right at $10,000. I did my homework, found out why the cam was trashed and don't worry about spending an extra $30 a year for the peace of mind an oil with the correct formulation for my use. Any oil in the first post of the sticky will be fine for a flat tappet engine. I prefer a full synthetic. My engines have had no leaking issues. Amsoil AMO 10W-40 in my roller engine.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Rotella T 15W40.
Thats what I have been using.
But I do like Qastrol or even the cheaper Mobil 1 10w40.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
The diesel oil debate has been beat to death and the high detergent levels in most diesel formulations reduce the effectiveness of the phosphorous in the oil. This is a fact. It is undisputed. I wiped a cam in 2006 with Rotella T 15-40. Used it for well over 20 years before that with no problems but that wiped cam cost me a real nice 302 and the replacement engine cost right at $10,000.
Didn't diesel oil always contain high levels of detergents?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
Yes.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

..but it appears that you just can't disagree without being disagreeable.

I've done my level best to be reasonable here, but it's just not working - so I'd suggest that you put me on your <ignore> list as I have now done with you - and we'll live in blissful ignorance of each others' posts
Well, that's the 'pot calling the kettle black' in my book. I guess it's an appropriate move on your part to block people that don't subscribe to your particular way of thinking. See ya!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
To some extent, but what's changed is a reduction in overall ZDDP PLUS the high detergent levels - and changes in that overall additive package to accomodate restrictions released in 2006. Some diesel oil still has relatively high levels of ZDDP, but the additive package dilutes it's effectiveness. This is just one aspect that renders them unsuitable.

Look at it this way - a gallon of Rotella T costs about $12.50, which means a GEN I oil change costs about $15 bucks and change for oil.

I pay about $110 for a 12 qt case of Royal Purple, which means I pay about $45 for an oil change...but as it's synthetic, I extend the change interval to 6,000 miles, so let's say $25.

Is your Corvette engine worth $10 per change just to not have to worry about it? Even if you stick with 3,000 mile intervals, is it worth $30 per change?

Some of us baby these cars we love - some of us beat the heck out of them...but if we didn't love them, we wouldn't be here. We spend a bunch of time building and working on them to make them the best we can.

Why chintz on the single most critical fluid your 'Vette uses?

Last edited by billla; 08-10-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

For those who cannot find a specific oil or viscosity: Ask your parts store; I bet they will be happy to order some for you.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best engine oil for an old stock 350

Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Good grief, Mike - I just noted that I wasn't going to be bound by any restrictions placed by you. That freedom thing you talked about, remember?

On the other thread you made a number of personal attacks - I didn't feel the need to bring those into this thread. And here a smart-*** comment about the "President of the ABR Club" (since edited) is similarly not helpful...but it appears that you just can't disagree without being disagreeable.

Uh Oh. Good old MW on the attack again. He jumped me once and later said I was a good person, or something like that, and its ok. Now I can sleep well.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
For those who cannot find a specific oil or viscosity: Ask your parts store; I bet they will be happy to order some for you.
Yep, that's been my experience.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotella T 15W40.
So Mike I see you have been here since 2001. I just came across this thread which is just like the thread I started a week ago or so where you were very helpful to me. I have a big smile on my face right now picturing you sitting at your computer responding to questions that you have probably answered literally 50 times since 2001. You are a very helpful and patient contributor

Quick Reply: What is the best engine oil for an old stock 350