C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Stock L-82/4 Speed-65,000 Miles-First Time on the Dyno!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 741 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
If it's coming up through the valve cover then it's rings vs. head issues. Broken rings happen.

It's possible it could be coming up through the guides if one of the valves isn't closing completely. You could "stake" the valves on that cylinder as a quick and cheap means to eliminate that possibility.
Billa, that's the conclusion I am coming to as well. How do you stake the valves on that cylinder to eliminate the valve guide issue? I also have a sort of popping spitting sound that has always come from the exhaust on the #6 bank of cylinders which makes me believe that it could be a valve guide possibly. I did put some 5-30 weight oil in the cylinder and retested the compression and it was 135 instead of 90 which would indicate rings again, correct? Can i replace the rings on the 6 cylinder by removing the pan and disconnecting the connecting rod after the head is removed. The other cylinders seem really good. I really don't have the time to pull the whole engine for a complete rebuild nor do I want to now. Want to keep it as much as possible an original L-82. I did replace a broken exhaust valve spring in 1985 but can't remember which one.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 11-04-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

It sounds a little archaic, but it's worth a shot. Turn the rockers aside or remove them, then give each of the valve stem tips a good rap or 3 with a plastic mallet. You don't want them to move down much...but just to get a good short, sharp shock It's worked more times than I'd like to admit, including on my aircraft engine in July!

...but it does certainly sound like rings, and I'd suspect they're broken as noted previously.

It is certainly possible to pull that one piston but it's a PITA to do in the car. If you go that route, then just be darn careful not to score the bore with the rod when taking it out. I guess over the years I've become real comfortable with pulling engines so I don't worry about it as much as some.

It's a tough call with no easy answers.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Billa, Thanx for the tip-no pun intended! I will try to stake the valve on Cylinder #6 when i get a chance.

I have to remove the pan anyway for the rear main seal repair and may try to remove the cylinder at that time. What a PITA this is. I guess I will have a better idea what's up once I get the top end of the engine off.

Do you have an e-mail address that you can PM me so that I can ask questions as I go without tying up the forum? Thanx.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Don't Replace, Upgrade!

Long ago I made the decision that when ever life throws me a breakdown/loss, I try to use it as an excuse to upgrade!

In your case a new set of heads is now an option, given the time and money to do the repair.

I'm a thrifty man, I have a real problem replacing something that works.
When Murphy strikes, I try to force myself to get what I want rather than just what I need.

Some AFRs would make things interesting!

JMHO

R
Old 11-04-2012, 03:54 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Do you have an e-mail address that you can PM me so that I can ask questions as I go without tying up the forum? Thanx.
Sent - good luck!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
im betting on a head issue , bent or burnt valve, gasket or cracked head. i doubt it would be one isolated cylinder. this may be an answer to your last dyno test.
Unfortunately, the breather blowing smoke has been going on for years. The car runs perfectly and you would not know there is a problem. The dyno just pushed me to investigate the source of the smoke while on the dyno. There has been no change in the car's behavior on the street. Heck, I was revving it to 5,000 RPM today BUT it does beg the question, what would the engine would have done with 8 fully functional cylinders on the dyno instead of 7. If you go back and view the video at the beginning of the thread on the dyno, you do see some smoke coming out the passenger side exhaust (Cylinder #6) at about 5,500 RPM last year. Same this year!

Quick Reply: 78 Stock L-82/4 Speed-65,000 Miles-First Time on the Dyno!