C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side exhaust throws contious White smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
LemonChips
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side exhaust throws contious White smoke...

I have a 1975 Stingray and I'm having problems with my exhaust. On the driver's side of the car white smoke constantly comes out. Any Ideas as to what it might be? Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely coolant. Does it smell sweet? Sounds like if you're lucky you've just got a blown head gasket. If not, either a cracked head or cylinder wall...
Old 03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
LemonChips
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by birdsmith
Most likely coolant. Does it smell sweet? Sounds like if you're lucky you've just got a blown head gasket. If not, either a cracked head or cylinder wall...
I'm sure it's not the coolant. But could any of the other three options be due to overheating? It over heated on me a while back.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 964 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by LemonChips
I'm sure it's not the coolant. But could any of the other three options be due to overheating? It over heated on me a while back.
How are you sure it's not the coolant? If the motor overheated it could easily have caused a cracked block or a blown head gasket. That, in turn, could cause coolant to enter the cylinder and be the source of your white smoke.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black smoke is too much fuel. Blue smoke is oil. White smoke is coolant. Overheating the motor is probably the event that caused your problem.
It doesn't take much coolant to make smoke. You may not notice the loss of coolant for a while, but I'm 99% sure that's what it is.
As Les said, if you're lucky, it's a gasket. If you were born under a bad sign, you could have a cracked cylinder head or block. I wish you luck.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
LemonChips
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mgrad92
Black smoke is too much fuel. Blue smoke is oil. White smoke is coolant. Overheating the motor is probably the event that caused your problem.
It doesn't take much coolant to make smoke. You may not notice the loss of coolant for a while, but I'm 99% sure that's what it is.
As Les said, if you're lucky, it's a gasket. If you were born under a bad sign, you could have a cracked cylinder head or block. I wish you luck.
Ok I just went outside and checked it you guys are right. It smells extremely sweet and well we already knew it was right.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
LemonChips
Heel & Toe

Ok if you would like to see what it looks like exactly follow this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgYYZXYABN0 or copy it and paste it into your web address. The video is not mine nor is the person in the video me; but that is exactly what my corvette is doing. I found this video youtube will trying to find out how to repair blown head gaskets.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 127 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Coolant for sure , pressure test the rad ad you may find a leak near the head gasket, if not have a look at your engine oil for a "milky" mess or pull the spark plugs on that side and you will see One is not like the other
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM
LemonChips
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ron Rail
Coolant for sure , pressure test the rad ad you may find a leak near the head gasket, if not have a look at your engine oil for a "milky" mess or pull the spark plugs on that side and you will see One is not like the other
Ya I checked the oil and it's clean. No milky look to it at all.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya I checked the oil and it's clean. No milky look to it at all.

If you're lucky, it's a gasket. If you're unlucky, it's a cylinder head. If it really just isn't your year, it'll be a cracked block. Because the oil is clean, I'm leaning towards a gasket.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM
LemonChips
Heel & Toe

I'm hoping it's a blown head gasket; but is it possible that it could be a warped head?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible, but not as likely as the other potential culprites.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 419 Posts

I'm hoping it's a blown head gasket; but is it possible that it could be a warped head?
It certainly could be, but this would result in a blown or leaking head gasket so you're back to the same place. If you're replacing the head gasket, you're going to check the head for warpage. If you're removing the head to check for warpage, you're replacing the gasket, so its all kind of the same thing anyway.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm with the good Dr. It makes no more sense to keep asking the same question looking for an easy fix. Grab your sockets and pull the driver's side head...we'll keep our fingers crossed for you that your just out the cost of the gaskets.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Quick Fix In A Can !

Try some Rad Sealer or head gasket fix in a bottle. It may get you by for a while ( temporary fix ) and it will for sure start a discussion here on the forum .

Bill
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you wouldn't put it in yours.......I wouldn't recommend telling someone else to put it in theirs......
Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
If you wouldn't put it in yours.......I wouldn't recommend telling someone else to put it in theirs......
I think you are putting words in my post . I didn't "TELL" the poster to do anything and I didn't say I wouldn't put it in mine .

Please read my posts carefully before you comment on it .

If you were not referring to my post I apologise in advance .

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Driver side exhaust throws contious White smoke...

Quick Reply: Driver side exhaust throws contious White smoke...