C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat belt info

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
BadAssRocker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belt info

I'm putting C6 seats in my '76. The previous owner cut the shoulder straps, so all I've had is lap belts. I was looking to buy the OEM style replacement belts with the dual retractors, but I'm curious as to whether I would have a problem with the new seats. I'm not diggin' the 5-point stuff, but I'd like something better than just the lap belt. Anyone have any C6 seats (or I guess C5 seats would be close enough) and use the dual retractors? I just want to be sure everything will be comfortable before I shell out the ridiculous amount of money for the OEM style replacements.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

do a search, no issues
Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

The seat belt hardware is the difficult part of restoring seat belts. If the shoulder belt hardware is still in good shape, all you need to do is buy some new webbing of the right color and take them to a racing belt maker or upholstery shop to have the new webbing sewn onto the ends of the old belts. Easy process and not expensive.

Someone on this Forum recently mentioned that he bought some new belt webbing from 'Snake-Oyl'. They should have webbing in all colors. Be aware that the shoulder belt webbing is the same width, but is thinner than the seat belt webbing.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:54 PM
BadAssRocker
Intermediate

They don't seem to be in too bad of shape, so I just might go that route if I can find a decent shop near me.

I'm just concerned with how they'll work with the C6 seats. Being that I've never had shoulder belts, I don't know where the latch part on the sash would end up on the seat when retracted. And does it sit in a different place depending on dual or single retractors?

I'm also curious as to about where the sash ends up when it's connected to the buckle. Is the seat going to move it to an uncomfortable position?

I've searched to the best of my ability on here and I'm not really finding the best answers, if any.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put C5 seats in and the dual belts are a PITA to use. The original seats have a slot for the shoulder belt that you lose in the conversion. The shoulder belt retracts fully so you have to fish around behind the seat to find it.

Get a rear seatbelt set from a mid to late 90's Camaro and put that in instead. It's a 1 piece shoulder/lap belt and it's much easier to use with the newer seats.

Rick B.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM
BadAssRocker
Intermediate

Right on. That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks a lot. I'll see about the F-body rear belts.

How about the single retractor C3 originals? Would those work out okay or would they still pull behind the seat?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Some GM seats has an attachment on the side of the seat back which captured the belt/buckle when you removed it. Perhaps look for those, re-dye them the correct color, and attach them to the sides of the upper portion.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM
oldboat
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

i redid my seat belts and shoulder harness's with webbing from seat belts plus. the webbing color was an excellent match for the original red in my '69. the webbing is a bit thinner than the original seat belt webbing as 7T1vette pointed out. a perfect match for the shoulder belt thickness. at $14.50 per yard it was inexpensive to install.
the pic below shows the color match with a NOS belt i have.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/categor...t-Webbing.html

[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belt info

Quick Reply: Seat belt info