C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons learned from Motor Oil Wear Testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 PM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
My supposition {and I will clearly state that it is only my supposition} is that the problem of wiping cam lobes lies with the cam manufacturers who are using poor quality steel and or poor quality heat treating of that steel. I highly doubt that the oil is the deciding factor in this whole 'boondoggle'. [...just sayin'....]
Aren't flat tappet cams still made from cast iron? Even the aftermarket ones? I know the last Comp Cams solid lifter cam I bought for my 454 is iron and not billet steel which requires a bronze distributor drive gear. Also, I've never heard of a surface hardening process or heat treat for cast iron like the TuffTride treatment GM used on hi-po steel crankshaft journals.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 69427
I've always been curious how "sensitive" the lifter bore position (or angle) is for decent lobe and lifter life.
Both the taper on the lobe and the convex surface on the lifter heel make them rotate.

For a flat-tappet cam, the fore-and aft movement isn't what I'd call a precision fit...someone would have to massively screw up the rear cam plug install to cause an issue, and there really isn't a lot of room to leave it too far out. I wouldn't personally see any need to test lifter rotation - I never have.

I wouldn't personally see an issue transplanting a used cam and lifters together, and wouldn't see the need to "match" the lifters to the same bore. That being said, I haven't done it.

Last edited by billla; 04-02-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,949 Likes on 947 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I always *spin test* flat tappets also to make sure they turn. Plus I mic bores and lifters. Lots of stuff can get you messed up in valvetrains.

For sure the older design lobes are more forgiving. But there were *crazy* lobes back then too...and they didn't last too long. But to win races you used them. Not a lot has changed.

NASCAR cam cores are welded on each lobe. That's a several thousand dollar cam package and nothing like normal folks would use.

Some oils DO cling well after sitting around for a long time. Brad Penn is one of them.

JIM
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for some great information. This would have been helpful a few years ago when I destroyed a newly build AMC 360 in my Jeep due to non zinc oil.
One thing did pop at out at me, NON STREET LEGAL oil? Is there an oil police out there somewhere? HAHA Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

540- i think your list needs to be turned into a sticky. You did some great testing of motor oils and how they performed against each other. This is a lot better than what the marketing gurus will try and tell/sell us.

Quick Reply: Lessons learned from Motor Oil Wear Testing