C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power brake conversion kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 02:16 PM
smallblockhero
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Default power brake conversion kits

im getting ready to convert over to power brakes from manual on my 73 454 car...school me on what kits you guys like and why. Is there any installation issues i should pay hard attention to? tools that might be helpful?
the dash is out and the engine will be out while doing the installation.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:32 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,461 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You don't need a conversion kit... you just need some know-how.

If you search the old threads you'll find a thread where I did a step by step.... This is probably the easiest upgrade you can do.

I did this write up somewhere around March of this year and again in 2008. Hope it helps.

Keep in mind; I’m doing this from memory so if anyone wants to add to this feel free!

You will need both the power brake booster and a new master cylinder. Power brake and standard brake master cylinders are different.

The cars with standard brakes have two studs on the firewall; you will need to knock these out of the firewall (they will fall inside the car).

Then using the two upper holes from the studs as a guide, mark the lower holes and drill them for the lower booster holes.

Once you do this, you’ll need to enlarge the hole in the firewall for the rod from the power brake booster. Yes it bolts to a different position on the pedal but doing this is real easy. If you look under your dash you’ll see a round hole on a non power brake car. On a power brake car it was egg looking. The inside reinforcement can be used as a template since it was used on both cars it has the egg look so just follow this when cutting, if you look under the dash you’ll see what portion of the fiberglass you’ll need to remove.

The standard brake and power brake lamp switch bracket were different, the power brake one is now available new. http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=12540

Hope this helps, I used to have a detailed sheet somewhere on this when we did a conversion many. .. Many years ago. If I can find this I’ll post it for you.

Willcox Inc.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:15 PM
smallblockhero
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
You don't need a conversion kit... you just need some know-how.

Willcox Inc.
thank you for responding

i have the know how no problem.. i was just wondering what supplier or manafacturer guys went with and/or liked as far as parts... some places sell a kit that includes the master,booster and switch all in one deal. some just buy the parts as mentioned. i know ZIP makes a package deal with a template for the firewall. but im not aware who makes the parts or the quality.

ive also seen kits that have a different plunger rod for the booster, id like to make one purchase of quality parts ( which most of would like to) and to have everything i need when i start the process.

Last edited by smallblockhero; 08-04-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:38 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,784 Likes on 4,183 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

just buy them from willcox. he will have everything you need. You will need the new booster and master and thats usually all you need. I was able to reuse my proportioning vavle without changing the hoses, I just had to pull it up closer to the master and you just need to move the brake light switch as you will be moving the push rod from the lower hole to the upper on the brake pedal arm'...
willcox thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-on-68-a.html

this thread has lots of pics and links should be the same except for the brake light switch
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html

Get notified of new replies

To power brake conversion kits

Quick Reply: power brake conversion kits