Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F/S; 1970 Corvette Convertible, all #'s match. 18K original miles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 AM
edb7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F/S; 1970 Big Block Corvette Convertible, all #'s match. 18K original miles!

Hello,

This is an 'urban barn find'. I bought the car from the original owner with intentions of restoring it, but I lack the time and skill to do it justice. Check out my link at http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2802003224.html

It is a 1970 LS5 Convertible with a M21 trans, deluxe interior, and 3.70 gear ratio.

If linking to Craigslist is not legal, please let me know and I will formally write up the ad here.

This car is a restoration project, but it is the real deal and is very solid (frame and bird cage are excellent).

The price is $23,500. Please send a PM for contact number or respond to the CL ad. Delivery is possible.

Thanks for looking,

Ed

Here are some pics (sorry about the dust- this is exactly how I found the car with the exception of removing the gas tank);

Last edited by edb7; 01-22-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the 454, adding pics
Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,431 Likes on 2,820 Posts

1970 CORVETTE URBAN BARN FIND FOR SALE!

Monza Red with black top and saddle leather , 4 speed M-21, FM Radio, and high ratio rear end

No power steering, non-air, and no power brakes.

Original, matching #'s 454 LS5 and 4 speed trans.

18,335 original miles.

Car was last registered in 1974.

Protect-o-plate and owners manual are present!

Purchased from the original owner who has always lived in the Chicago suburbs (where car was purchased).

He cloned the car to a Baldwin Motion car soon after purchasing.

As you can see the car has American Racing Wheels and Factory GM performance fender flares

Numbers from ther car;

Engine = CZU which is a 454 390 HP, Rochester Quadrajet, Hydraulic Lifters, and 4 speed trans.

Heads = 3964290

Trans = 392566 P O E 06 B (which means M21 Close Ratio produced May 06 1970)

Rear End = CFA 3.70 HD Rear

TRIM = 424 974

VIN stamping is clear on the engine block and transmission; they match that of the car.
The VIN is 194670SXXXXXX

1970 Vette Production Numbers
LS5 = 4473 of 17316 Produced in Hardtop & Convertible
Of that only 6,648 were convertibles
4,383 total had the 4 spd trans
2,862 had Optional Rear Axle
3,191 had the leather interior

*The two corevette experts that I met with stated that it would be safe to say this car is one of <600 vehicles produced with these rare options.
Not only is it correct but the rear end is the HD 7 leaf rear with factory 3.70 gear ratio. Also, noted were the factory chalk marks and stickers on the frame.

Unfortunately, his buddy had a minor accident in 1974 after the 454's power got away from him. He hit a wooden sign post (2X4), which dented the front bumper, cracked the fiberglass in three places on the front of the car. The post also spun and hit the driver door, making a small crack there. The owner never recieved a dime from his pal and had no insurance on it.

The first two photos are of the car in 1971 .
The third pic below is how the car sits today. It is about 98% complete only missing the tire carrier, jack, fan, and ehaust manifolds. Even included is the original battery which was still in the car when I got it. Just a note I did drop the tank for the build sheet and only the disintegrated remains were there. The engine and trans are out of the car for your inspection. This car needs to be restored but is all there. Can restore to concours correct or as the bloomington judge mentioned a 'Day 2 Car' since all modifications are GM performance parts.

I am selling the car due to lack of time and other obligations. The car restored books out near $100k (see link below)

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...ertible/Values
*The selling price is $23,500

---------------------

Craigslist ads have a way of vanishing, so I hooked you up. (I also corrected the name of the color) Good luck with your sale.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 AM
edb7
Intermediate

Default Thanks Vettebuyer!

It is late here, sorry for the typo. I didn't realize we could copy and paste pics into this site. Once again, Corvette Forum proves to be an awesome community.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 AM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

edb7

Did you pull the engine and transmission and strip the paint?

Curious to see if the motor turns over.

Thanks, Bill
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM
edb7
Intermediate

Default Answer about engine / paint

Hello Bill,

The original owner had stripped the paint before I bought the car. I get the feeling that he had big plans to fix it up, but didn't have the funds to follow through.

Before making the purchase, I had him remove the heads to help verify his claim of original miles. The cylinder walls are very clean! I also turned the engine by hand and it moves freely. Once I got the car home, I also removed the oil pan to inspect the rotating assembly. The engine is an honest survivor with no issues.

Some may question why I bothered to open up the mill; I didn't want to start the engine as it had been sitting for a long time. I didn't want to chance ruining such a cool find.

Originally Posted by 1974ta
edb7

Did you pull the engine and transmission and strip the paint?

Curious to see if the motor turns over.

Thanks, Bill
Old 01-16-2012, 01:23 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a great resto project. May I suggest you post more detailed pics of the engine, interior, engine bay, suspension, frame and any other parts etc... The more the better.

Also the pillar VIN & engine & trans #'s

Will probably help with the sale.

Good luck,
Glenn
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 476 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Super cool. Just curious, do you know where it was sold new? I see you are in WC, I live in Bartlett. Have never seen or heard of this car. Best of luck with the sale, hope it stays local and someone restores it to Day Two configuration.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 PM
edb7
Intermediate

Default Glenn

Thank you for the advice. I will certainly add more pics, but probably will not have the time until the weekend (2 little kiddos at home and a wife who expects me to do stuff around the house!).

Originally Posted by GD70
Looks like a great resto project. May I suggest you post more detailed pics of the engine, interior, engine bay, suspension, frame and any other parts etc... The more the better.

Also the pillar VIN & engine & trans #'s

Will probably help with the sale.

Good luck,
Glenn
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 PM
edb7
Intermediate

Default Local history on this car.

Hello Supreme,

This car was purchased new from Fencl Tufo in Glendale Heights (now Sunrise Chevrolet). The original owner originally lived in Wheaton and then in Glendale Heights.

The last time he registered the car was in 1974 and the last time he drove it (from a tire shop he stored it at to his house) was 1979. This awesome car sat in his garage for 31 years!

I interviewed the owner about the history of the car and here are some details that he shared that may jog your memory (if you are near his age, which I believe is mid 60's, and happened upon him);

The flares were purchased through GM and put on soon after he bought the car, so you would have likely seen the car as it looks in the old polaroids. He took the car to the drag strip and often hung out at Iliana Raceway, Ohare port, and Blackhawk Farms. If I didn't get those names quite right, please forgive me; I was born five years after this car was and never had the good fortune to experience any of these places!

I was VERY torn on which way to go with this car because the Day 2 Baldwin Motion look is extremely cool and I have the actual period-correct parts already installed. The original stickers are even on the back side of the flares! The other neat thing is I have photos of the car from 1971 that show it's roots as a true Day 2 car. On the other hand, this car is such a rare and great piece of Chevy history, I can see it deserving an all-stock rejuvination to its original identity.

Talking about this car makes me feel like I am making a mistake by selling it, but I have a strong feeling it will just sit in my garage forever if I keep her. Being a dad comes first. I feel proud to have found this vehicle. I am a die-hard, third generation Chevy nut. I love when a car comes with a long history and cool stories. This was a dream find for me. I already own a nice 1969 Camaro, so I feel fortunate to keep that car.

I also hope a local person buys it, brings her back to 100%, and takes me for a spin. From what the original owner described, the 1970 454 is a MONSTER engine that will keep you pinned in your seat and smiling.

Have you always been in this area? I am curious to know if you hung out at any of those race sites or if you recall seeing that Baldwin-cloned Vette around. Have a good day and thanks for getting me to talk cars again!

Ed

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
Super cool. Just curious, do you know where it was sold new? I see you are in WC, I live in Bartlett. Have never seen or heard of this car. Best of luck with the sale, hope it stays local and someone restores it to Day Two configuration.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
edb7
Intermediate

Default Photos added

Let me know if you want to see anything specific.

Last edited by edb7; 01-22-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 PM
edb7
Intermediate

Default Anyone know Badsam?

He sent a PM asking if car is still for sale, but has his account set to not accept emails!

At any rate, it is still here. Come see it and make an offer!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Badsam
Advanced

Thanks for the quick response. I'll pm you.

Get notified of new replies

To F/S; 1970 Corvette Convertible, all #'s match. 18K original miles!

Quick Reply: F/S; 1970 Corvette Convertible, all #'s match. 18K original miles!