C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

BonAmi on the Windshield??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default BonAmi on the Windshield??

Ok, I have heard a number of times about using BonAmi on the windshield to remove surface haze/minor scratches. I have the mother of all stupid questions on this right here & now!!! Ya ready??? Ok no rock throwing now...but when I apply the BonAmi... do I use a circular motion, up&down, back & forth or doesn't it make a difference??? Anything in particular to apply it...rag....polishing disc...sponge??? Don't want to frig up the windshield...so thought I'd take the chance, embarrass myself and ask. To all

Last edited by Chewch87; 05-26-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:12 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,973 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

There are two types of BonAmi: one is in the supermarkets and is in a gold and red label can. It says, do not use on glass. One is in a black can and is usually at old line hardware stores.

Years ago, the gold can actually didn't prohibit use on glass; recently, it does. Also, years ago (and maybe still) Chevrolet used to have a black and green Mr. Goodwrench type of can that they sold that was re-labeled BonAmi. Definition: it WAS safe to use on glass. They may still; don't know.

So, be careful. And to answer your question, assuming you've got the right can, either way, but swirling motion (circular?) works just fine for me.

Alternatives: Griot's and I think Eastwood sell glass "polishes"---probably high quality because they sure are high priced]. Also, if you think about it, ceramic cooktops have glass polishes at Target, Walmart, etc. I've used the last-mentioned. And as a stopgap, I've used Stoner's "Invisible Glass" to some limited success--not great, but ok. It cleans but removes no scratches.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

I did buy the gold label from the supermarket...and used it on my 05 Impala....luckily I used one of those car wash scratch free brushes on a handle and kept it wet worked up & down . No damage thankfully....got alot of the insects and embedded junk out (lot of highway driving) but I won't use it on my Vette or anything else now that you mention the difference in Labels. I'll check with Griots....I bought some chrome polish and claybar stuff from them a few weeks ago....I'll see what they have. Thanks!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:01 AM
George Dickel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't tried it myself but have read it in car care articles that toothpaste will take out minor scratches in glass. It is slightly abrasive but not enough to cause damage.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:37 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by George Dickel
I haven't tried it myself but have read it in car care articles that toothpaste will take out minor scratches in glass. It is slightly abrasive but not enough to cause damage.
That is true, and I've used it before, too. The only problem is going down the road smelling like Crest or Colgate! j\k, it really does wash off completely.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
That is true, and I've used it before, too. The only problem is going down the road smelling like Crest or Colgate! j\k, it really does wash off completely.

I'm partial to Pepsodent myself....but I refrigerate it.....my wife says I'm MENTAL...but we all have our faults
Old 05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by an old "Glass Guy" that one should always try to polish glass vertically. That way the sunshine reflects the least noticable amount.

The abrasive ingredient which is used to grind or polish glass is Cerium Oxide. You can either mix it up yourself or look for it on the list of ingredients on a commercial product.

Bon Ami contains Sodium Carbonate and Calcium Carbonate. The abrasive is Feldspar which has an MOA=92S scratch hardness of 6. This means that the abrasive won't scratch any material which has an equal or higher hardness number. Most glass is in the 6.5 range and the abrasive in Bon Ami won't touch it.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

greetings,
i have used bon ami in the gold can for years. it was recommended by the makers of rain-x to remove their product w/o doing damage to the glass......after years, no ill effects at all.....
Old 05-26-2006, 07:27 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
Old 05-26-2006, 09:51 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewch87
I'm partial to Pepsodent myself....but I refrigerate it.....my wife says I'm MENTAL...but we all have our faults
I want to know more about this....you mean take it in and out of the frig every time you brush your teeth?

I think I agree with your wife.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Chewch87
Faults? Faults? What are they? I know you don't and I don't but all the rest out there........hmmmm.

Have a safe holiday weekend!
Old 05-26-2006, 11:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Cap'n Rich
I was told by an old "Glass Guy" that one should always try to polish glass vertically. That way the sunshine reflects the least noticable amount.

The abrasive ingredient which is used to grind or polish glass is Cerium Oxide. You can either mix it up yourself or look for it on the list of ingredients on a commercial product.

Bon Ami contains Sodium Carbonate and Calcium Carbonate. The abrasive is Feldspar which has an MOA=92S scratch hardness of 6. This means that the abrasive won't scratch any material which has an equal or higher hardness number. Most glass is in the 6.5 range and the abrasive in Bon Ami won't touch it.

Cap, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just merely pointing out the mfr. says specifically on the can, do not use on glass. For whatever reason.

And, in '98 or so, the can did not have that caution on their cans. Specifically, it was also "re-badged", so to speak, and used by Chevrolet, sold over the counter.

I don't know if it still is, but I'm glad to read that there are other C4ers using the store brand successfully (which means to me, not scratching their windshields).

On the off chance that mine is a "soft" windshield (whatever the heck that might mean), I'll choose a brand that doesn't recommend against use on glass. That's just me, but I do appreciate your analysis.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

It's prolly okay on the windshield - just, for pete's sake follow the warnings!!!!!

Do not eat this!!!

Do not use on your face!!!

Dot not stuff in ears!!!!

)
Old 05-27-2006, 06:11 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I got it!
Old 05-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Midnite 88
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's prolly okay on the windshield - just, for pete's sake follow the warnings!!!!!
Could you please explain the word "prolly"? I have never seen that word in a dictionary. Of course I could "probably" be reading the wrong dictionary.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Originally Posted by Midnite 88
Could you please explain the word "prolly"? I have never seen that word in a dictionary. Of course I could "probably" be reading the wrong dictionary.
Please notice time stamp on posting. I believe it was three rum n' cokes past something.

Rich
Old 05-27-2006, 01:38 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please notice time stamp on posting. I believe it was three rum n' cokes past something.

Rich
us to finger typers try to save on letters

Get notified of new replies

To BonAmi on the Windshield??

Quick Reply: BonAmi on the Windshield??