C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Clay bar on glass...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clay bar on glass...

How does that work? Do I just do the same procedure as I would for paint, except for obviously not waxing when I am done? I have a lot of hard waterspots that I can't get off. Newspaper, windex, hard scrubbing, both sides of glass, etc. didn't do ANYTHING whatsoever.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm; it's worth a shot I guess. Can't see how it could hurt...
Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 PM
or92vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clayed the glass on my boat one day when I was bored.

SWEET!!!!

Just like paint!

Give it a shot with your normal technique.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Fast Doc
Pro

Vinegar will also remove the hard water spots.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Claybar is awesome on paint!!! Did wonders on my 87s' finish!!! As for windshields..... I Claybarred all three of my cars windshields with SO-SO results. It will not remove chips, pits or scratches. If you have hardwater stains they should come off because the hard water staining is not a chemical etching if I'm not mistaken...I believe it is caused by heavy concentrations of calcium or lime in the water which dry hard on the surface after the water has evaporated. If Im wrong someone please correct me....... The Claybar will only remove foreign particles like fallout, sap, tar from your windshield...so yeah it is worth a try.....for the minimal effort involved in claybarring the windshield...its worth the shot. And to answer your question..yeah...same procedure as claybarring paint.
My 2004 Explorer Sport Tracs' windshield was riddled with pitting from heavy highway driving....the claybar removed some crud...but for the most part...the windshield was too F'd up to be helped...so I replaced it ...fortunately it was dirt cheap....$197.00 SAFELITE AUTO Glass. Now my 87 Vette has swirling and some haze....I really did not see a dramatic improvement from the claybar.....but replacment is about double that of my explorer because of the rubber kit.
The only other option you have are glass surface kits ...MID , Corvette Central etc sells 'em.....they are superfine abrasive resurfacing kits which will actually remove superficial physical scratches, hazing etc exclusively for use on glass. Good Luck!!!! Try the ClayBar though OK.....
Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bonami cleanser from the supermarket works great on glass

Old 04-04-2008, 11:31 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

aahhh...no

nothing abrasive on glass
Old 04-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by _twisted_

Actually GM used to recommend that and had thier own version.Got to be carefull not to use one of the other brands that WILL scratch the glass.

But then what does GM know they recommend putting Bars Stop Leak in your cooling system too.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:52 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to say < I wax glass, lights, signals , every thing !

Give it a shot. It makes the plastic last and gives the car a FULL SHINE.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:00 AM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good luck with products that contain ammonium bifluoride for removing water spots on glass.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Clay bar is not abrasive, it works great on Glass, removes stubborn bugs overspray etc, of course it will not remove scratches or chips, just like it wont remove chips, scratches in paint , it is used to remove impuritys that have accumulated on the surface simple as that, trick in claybarring is to constantly to kneedle the clay and keep it moist.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:31 AM
toroguy
Instructor

I have clayed the glass many times...I practiced this on lesser cars.

I believe the clay made my side windows "stutter" when going down?

Windsheild and rear window showed no ill effects.

Clay on paint is a very good weapon in your maintenance schedule. I just use running water for the "lube".

BTW. Meguiars makes a nice clear lens cleaner and polish. I use that on vette tail lights and other newer headlights and guage clusters...tried that combo on a 05 Town Car headlight - looked like a sales brochure!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Klondike
Team Owner

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Clay Bar is Great!

My Wifes car got sprayed by one of those road lane marker spray paint machines. Damn safety yellow paint all over the front and windshield! Luckly I had the car pretty waxed up and the windshield had rainX on it, so it didn't have a real bond to anything; just a mess to clean off. The clay bar worked well on all surfaces, glass and plastic included.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by _twisted_

Been using Bon Ami for years. No abrasive in it,was recommended by GM for years.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:56 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizzano
Clay bar is not abrasive, :
it's a piece of clay.............The way it works on your paint is by removing layers of oxidation.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:11 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Depends on what's on it. Clay Bar doesn't do much for waterspots, but it won't hurt it.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Tried it on the glass. Didn't work. Didn't hurt anything. Honestly, it hasn't worked any better on the paint. Maybe I am doing something wrong. It did pick up some brown dirt/sap I suppose. But a tiny amount...the white clay had a brown residue on it, but the paint didnt look any different than any other part of the car after I cleaned it up and waxed it. I kept folding the clay over to keep it clean too.

People on here have talked about the "amazing" night and day difference clay bar does to paint.

???

Get notified of new replies

To Clay bar on glass...

Old 04-05-2008, 12:51 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CStewTAMU
Tried it on the glass. Didn't work. Didn't hurt anything. Honestly, it hasn't worked any better on the paint. Maybe I am doing something wrong. It did pick up some brown dirt/sap I suppose. But a tiny amount...the white clay had a brown residue on it, but the paint didnt look any different than any other part of the car after I cleaned it up and waxed it. I kept folding the clay over to keep it clean too.

People on here have talked about the "amazing" night and day difference clay bar does to paint.

???

I will say it makes the paint feel smoother, but slight to no difference in appearance over waxing and buffing. For a DD, I think the work to reward ratio just isn't there...unless it's an excuse to spend time dinking around with the car. If that's the case, by all means have at it. If we're talking about using a clay bar on water spots, especially on glass, I think it'd be a waste of time.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
BigDaddy5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by newbecorvetteguy

I will say it makes the paint feel smoother, but slight to no difference in appearance over waxing and buffing. For a DD, I think the work to reward ratio just isn't there...unless it's an excuse to spend time dinking around with the car. If that's the case, by all means have at it. If we're talking about using a clay bar on water spots, especially on glass, I think it'd be a waste of time.
For a DD, you may be right. It's all a matter of preference, really.

The whole idea for the clay bar is not to make the car shine more, or remove oxidation. It's not abrasive when used right.

The clay bar is not magic, all it does is use the spray cleaner that you use, to help remove micro-particles of dirt and help clean the car more. This really comes in handy when you're waxing, as it prevents you from catching a piece of dirt in your rag or buffer and putting a new scratch in your paint. If you clean your car well, you shouldn't notice a whole lot of difference in the paint feel, but you may.

And no, it wont work on hard water spots. I have a few on the tint on my windshield, and I can tell you it doesn't work.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

One of my little rituals when I buy a used car, is use tooth paste to clean the windshield then coat with Glass Wax or Bon Ami. Then after the first wash - Rain-X

Quick Reply: Clay bar on glass...