C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 PM
WoodVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Lights

On my 86 that I just got, half of the dash is kind of dark. The speedo I can see no problem...well lit. But the tach is working...but is dark...hard to see. Is there lights behind them that need to be replaced? If so, is it a difficult job?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

There are 4 lamps in the instrument cluster that back illuminate the LCD panes and clearly you have one or more lamp burned out. You can remove the dash cover and you will see 4 silver covers you pull straight off to gain access to the lamps. Wrap tape around the lamp and pull on the overlap STRAIGHT out, DO NOT rotate the lamp or you will have to remove the cluster because the straight pin lamps fit into a socket that rotates behind the rear circuit board. Use a piece of tubing over the lamps to insert them, again, STRAIGHT into their sockets.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:00 PM
WoodVette
Intermediate

I called the local Chevy dealer. They don't have the lights for behind the dash. Corvette Central has them....but at $14.95 each! That's painful! Anyone know where I can get these 4 little lights cheaper?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM
gabezC4
Racer

Default Napa

NAPA Auto parts has them. I think the part number is 882 if memory serves me correct, but the bulbs are like $7-10 at NAPA. Auto Zone and Kragen don't carry them-ever. Go to NAPA

Last edited by gabezC4; 08-11-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Lights

Quick Reply: Dash Lights