C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1971 1972 Cutlass or 442 Vs. C4 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Yeah, it didn't help when a neighbor put his nice driver condition 71 TA out for sale.

Glad to see you aren't regretting it Ron, I think if I had a Z it would be that much harder...

It's tough being honest car guy though, I could drive a nice 250hp AWD 4dr Subaru just as quickly as a solid muscle car. I don't care who made it or when, if it's done well and delivers an above average driving experience - I'm interested. My eye has really been on 85-89 P-911s and convertible IROCs lately...so

OP seems to be having trouble responding, thanks for the PM and good luck in your search. I'm right there with you and I change my mind often. I feel like I have unfinished business with the vette and that keeps me at home.

If you're concerned with "balance of performance/ maintainance cost ( self work)/ mpg/reliability/ and handling" a more modern muscle car might be in order. Although not nearly as cool at the ice cream stand or local cruise-in...
Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mjn76
for an unsolicited opinion, if you have never have owned a car that old you may miss all of the creature comforts(little things like power windows, a/c, cruise control, power steering, power brakes, brakes that work, a car that turns, a suspension that suspends,ec,ect,ect.) but you might not.
having owned a couple of 60's muscle cars I can tell you that they are very labor intensive. but if you can handle it and it's what you want, go for it. I would suggest a nice compromise in a mid 80's gm g-body
(monte carlo, grand national, 442) tons of cool status, most have decent power and are easily upgradable, room for the family, modern conviences,welcome at any cruise night and nice buy in price
My vert had everything you mentioned except tilt and cruise. Oldsmobile was all about creature comforts even in their mid size cars. Stick with the Cutlass Supreme to get a better option package. The industry is pretty expansive on the 70-72 Cutlass and you can get quite a few really nice suspension and braking packages. One down side to the 80's cars are they are smaller inside. I hafta agree with your reasoning tho as they have a lot more replacement parts still available.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

85-89 P-911s
Great minds think alike.. rs carrera. Hey wheres TommyTBone

Looking at a couple 85-86 5.0s for a DD..and some old shortbeds or...lol
Like you said whatever catches the eye/mood at the time.
Love this damn disease!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Evil_1979
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by navy_vette
Becareful with the old cars.
Old vs new
Granted, this car is quite a bit older, but it's still scary.
That test was quite a bit misleading in that there was no engine in the Bel-Aire so not much there to stop the impact from going into the dash... :-) Still not as safe as a modern car, but that crash test is propaganda to toot thier own horn on how safe they have made cars...
Old 08-04-2011, 12:40 PM
afanelli08361
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice but ..

Having a newer car with air and actually your able to drive around and not have problems.. I had a 72 gto and also a 77trans am with a 383 stroker motor.. both where always needing something.. now I have a 94 Vette and can drive anywhere anytime.. and the performance might not be as fast but overall it's a better option..

Originally Posted by tjm2070
Ok so here's the deal...

I currently have an 87 corvette. I love the car, but with a growing family, it just doesnt get used as much as i would like... I've had a few vettes of this generation and like thier balance of performance/ maintainance cost ( self work)/ mpg/reliability/ and handling.
I started looking at cars with 4 seats and am drawn to early 70's muscle. This is when I discovered the lines of the 71/72 cutlass / 442 which I love. Aggressive, long nose, wide rear stance, fastback, awesome front clip etc. I figure it should cost a little less to get into than a chevelle and be a bit more unique... for as rare as chevelles are it seems like there are tons of them at shows.. hey, at least its still GM right?

The usage I expect to get out of my car is fridays to work, ice-cream with the family, errands on the weekends and possibly a long trip in the summer for a family vacation here and there. (1000+ miles) Most likely is upstate NY to OBX NC. I'd prob also start attending some local weekly informal car shows.

I know this is a Corvette forum so I expect some bias ( NO!?!?!) but would this be a bad move? Am I going to be dissapointed with the maintanance needs, gas consumption and poor handling? Are the majority of people going to tell me I'm not gonna want to take my family 700 miles from home in a 40 y/o car? I imagine cars came a long way from 1970 to the 1987 vette I drove down there ( pre baby) THAT was a fun drive to the beach

Can anyone make a comparison for me?
I've searched on here, but it's hard to find anything relating to this comparison.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking foward to all of your opinions!

Tj
Old 08-04-2011, 02:21 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but...

It may be time to get a minivan.

Keep the Vette if you love it & use it for yourself.

Put the family you love in a new vehicle with every safety feature you can afford. The mileage will probably be better, everyone will be comfortable, you'll have room for everything you need, & none of the clutter, spills, etc. will trash the car you love.

Consider it a rite of passage.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Driving ANY car is potentially fatal.

Use common sense and drive whatever you want. If it's your time, it's your time, and your ticket is gonna get punched. Life is a terminal illness.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Having owned a 72 GTO for 10 years and now a 92 vette for 6 years...hell you just can't compare them...when you say 1000 mile vacations...I think neither will do the trick. yes you can build a 70's era car to where it could haul you thousands of miles..people drove across county ..since the car was pretty much invented..but..gas milage will suck..expect no more than 15 mpg with a small block..handling..up to you how far you want to upgrade it..the sky is the limit as well as the money needed..air ride suspension probably best bang for the buck...old and pontiac prolly the best bet for comfort options...my dream..a 72 GTO dropped onto a modern chassis..this has been done with good results...remember..if you want to stick 4 people in a car for long periods of time..you need a car designed for it..I believe they are called 4 doors...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Driving ANY car is potentially fatal.

Use common sense and drive whatever you want. If it's your time, it's your time, and your ticket is gonna get punched. Life is a terminal illness.
What's the common sense for if "If it's your time, it's your time, and your ticket is gonna get punched."?

The statement suggests that no safety precaution is worth taking.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve85
What's the common sense for if "If it's your time, it's your time, and your ticket is gonna get punched."?

The statement suggests that no safety precaution is worth taking.
My statement suggests no such thing.

Because if it's your time, I don't give two squirts of Monkey **** how many precautions you've taken....you're toast. You can lock yourself in a sanitized packing crate your whole life and still die of cancer. You can jog 3 miles a day and still have a fatal M.I. at 35 years old.

You can stack the odds in your favor....and you should....but to refuse to drive a cool old car because you're scared of dying is ludicrous.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 PM
tjm2070
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got my account figured out! I changed my e-mail and it wouldn't let me post until I confirmed the new one...

Minivan comment- yea I know this is in the ( near) future but that is regardless of this choice. We'll have a minivan as one of our primary vehicles more than likely.

I think i disagree with the comment that neither are OK for a 1000 mile trip. i took my vette to NC two years ago and had a great time...

i really appreciate all the opinions.

honestly I didn't think I'd see so much support for the change on a corvette forum. i guess at heart we're all car people. whatever gets us to enjoy our interests the most, go for it right?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Minivan comment- yea I know this is in the ( near) future but that is regardless of this choice. We'll have a minivan as one of our primary vehicles more than likely.
Resist.

i guess at heart we're all car people.
Correct.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Because if it's your time, I don't give two squirts of Monkey **** how many precautions you've taken....you're toast.
You can stack the odds in your favor....and you should.
These are mutually exclusive statements.

I think If someone refuses to drive a car that provides less safety for their family than they are comfortable with, it's hardly ludicrous. Death isn't the only possible injury. Safety is a reasonable concern and why it's mentioned here. Just my opinion..
Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve85
These are mutually exclusive statements.

I think If someone refuses to drive a car that provides less safety for their family than they are comfortable with, it's hardly ludicrous. Death isn't the only possible injury. Safety is a reasonable concern and why it's mentioned here. Just my opinion..
Hogwash. On both accounts.

Families in the 60's / 70's took their 60's / 70's cars cross country countless times. They had accidents. Some survived, some didn't. Just like today.

You can always mitigate risk....obey traffic laws. Wear seat belts. Don't drink and drive. Maintain your car. You can mitigate it....but you can't eliminate it. And if fate has pulled your number, it's game over.....whether you buy it in a 70's muscle car or you slip and fall in the shower.

If a person is that paranoid about death / injury, perhaps they should just stay at home. Suggesting that a properly maintained early 70's car is inherently dangerous is absolute rubbish.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 AM
tjm2070
Instructor

Frizle- I think your word choice was perfect. Its not that 70's cars are inherently dangerous, but that are subpar to today's sandards. Keeping that in mind, I feel like with proper defensive driving, the additional risk to drive these amazing cars HAS TO BE WORTH IT

Tj
Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Frizle- I think your word choice was perfect. Its not that 70's cars are inherently dangerous, but that are subpar to today's sandards. Keeping that in mind, I feel like with proper defensive driving, the additional risk to drive these amazing cars HAS TO BE WORTH IT

Tj
And just being aware of that will help you. Exactly why the safety issues were mentioned earlier.

No one said they were inherently dangerous, that you could eliminate risk, or "don't buy cuz you'll definitely die in it".

You just need to be aware before you buy that old car with stars in your eyes and get home and realize their is no way to properly secure a child in the back seat. It doesn't matter how safe YOU drive. It may not be worth it for some people and it's a fair assessment of risk on their part given the options today.

Friz - I just thought it was an interesting perspective to believe you have no control over when you die, but you should try. I hope you don't take my questions as anything but engaging in a conversation not necessarily about car safety, but more philosophical in nature. I don't think reasonable safety concerns are hogwash in any instance, buying old cars included.

Good luck on the Fiero trip. My neighbor Jim Sutter, from back in the day had a shop where they modified them pretty heavily. I seem to remember he was involved with some IMSA program for the bodies. His twin turbo GT made the Hot Rod calendar sometime in the 80's. That thing was sooo badass.

tjm - good luck with the decision, it's obvioulsy something us car guys struggle with. if you make the move, I hope you find what you're looking for.

For me personally, I hesitate to buy that old Porsche partly because I don't see myself strapping my kids in the rear seat without a shoulder restraint. The driving experience vs safety is a trade-off I'm not willing to make right now.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

We're good Steve

I just fondly remember me and my buddies riding in the back of the pickup for 70 miles a day as a kid....and in the car, we never wore seatbelts, if the car even had them. We're all still breathing. We drank out of the garden hose too.

I can see your point with young kids, probably safer in something newer. But along with the safety, something visceral is lost. JMHO, of course.

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 1972 Cutlass or 442 Vs. C4 Corvette

Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

1. They are worlds apart
2. Why just these 2 models since they are so far apart?
3. Depending on your budget there is a lot of bang for buck with toys right now.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just fondly remember me and my buddies riding in the back of the pickup for 70 miles a day as a pup....and in the car, we never wore seatbelts, if the car even had them. We're all still breathing. We drank out of the toilet too.
Repaired.

I can see your point with young kids, probably safer in something newer. But along with the safety, something visceral is lost. JMHO, of course.

I also sometimes wonder how anybody survived in our generation. Like you said Friz, we had no seat belts, no bicycle helmets, no car seats, no A/C and on and on. Maybe we were in the stone age
Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
tjm2070
Instructor

no a/c? well you didn't have to deal with global warming right? lol

reason I mentioned just those two cars:

vette- its what i have so its what i am comparing too.. unfortunatly doenst seem to fully meet my needs anymore without a major compromise that severely limits use. ( two seats)

cutlass- im very drawn to 70's muscle cars. i want it to be a two door. i'm not particularly drawn to the 80's monte carlos or the likes. i considered a chevelle but it seems like they are harder to get a good deal on now and honselty i jsut want something a little less mainstream. saw the lines of the cutlass and just think it looks badass.

On top of that the wife isn't all that fond of vettes. might have soemthing to do with her having a knee surgery when i had my last one.. climbing in and out wasnt so enjoyable. I've pushed back a bit ( until now maybe) just cause i like them so much..

Quick Reply: 1971 1972 Cutlass or 442 Vs. C4 Corvette