C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Unusual Starting Condition, Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 11:15 AM
CharlieNC
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Unusual Starting Condition, Sometimes

A few months ago I acquired a 96 auto with 53k miles. Following a little basic work it has been running great! A few times I have not held the key long enough to get it started, and within a few seconds the restart has required holding the starting position much longer to get it to start, didn't want to fire . Then the engine ran very rough for 30 sec or so. Afterwards the performance had been fine. Im guessing the initialnon start due to operator error resulting in the computer sensing unreal conditions which then caused the restart issues. What do you think?
Old 11-10-2019, 11:38 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,636 Likes on 2,890 Posts

I would guess it's something along the lines of "partial start leaves fuel pressure low, use does not allow fuel pressure to reach normal levels on restart".
Old 11-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 734 Likes on 684 Posts

Check fuel pressure and regulator. Fuel pressure should jump to 42+ psi when key is turned to run, and hold. ECM sends a signal to fuel pump relay to turn on fuel pump fot a few seconds. Check valve in pump should keep fuel from leaking back to tank for 20 minutes or more. Fuel pressure regulator diaphragm can leak fuel into vacuum port causing hard start run rough.

Get notified of new replies

To Unusual Starting Condition, Sometimes

Quick Reply: Unusual Starting Condition, Sometimes