C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Smog Failures Stump Multiple Experts! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 12:21 AM
farhorizons
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually editing the tips harvested from this thread into a Word document that I'm going to hand over to the Gold Shield guys in a week or so. Right now my car is back in the body shop because my brand new neighbor hit my front bumper on here first night next door. After 8 months of restoration work, I only had it for about 800 miles before it got hit again. So right now my quest to pass smog is on hold. I wonder if I was some evil **** is a previous life!

Incidentally, the previous owner gave me a bag full of reciepts when I bought the car, and one of those pieces of paper was a smog test failure report that tagged the car as a Gross Polluter for a Carbon Monoxide score 5 times worse than my current failure. I haven't found a reciept covering work from around the same time that might explain how he corrected it, or what work might have caused it. I keep coming back to the possiblity that he changed the chip or the programming in such a way that all the experts have overlooked.

The car has 117,800 miles on it, and as far as I know, it has never been rebuilt. I'm considering opening up the front of the engine to check for timing chain wear. Can anybody say for sure if a sloppy timing chain might cause the excessive carbon monoxide reading?

I will print out all of your tips when this goes back to the smog shop. Help me educate the experts! Speak up! Let me hear your suggestions!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:00 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you should continue to focus on why the O2 is sensing a lean condition. If it was all functioning correctly, the car would pass (and the CO #'s would be closer to 0), even with the BLM's you're seeing (mine has never failed - even with a leaking head gasket and greater than ideal BLMS). Extra air is getting into the exhaust stream somewhere and generic performance chips usually just add fuel and timing at WOT. If you want to verify your chip, compare it's number with the one's listed for your Vette at www.acdelco.com - otherwise, if you have a Shop Manual, follow the Trouble Tree Chart for a code 44 which essentially narrows it down to a vacuum or header leak or a malfunctioning air pump circuit. By the way, CA uses gasahol - MTBE was banned about 3 years ago. If you want a complete CA smog history on your Vette go here: http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx

Quick Reply: L98 Smog Failures Stump Multiple Experts! Help!