C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight switch Knob Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Bullyj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight switch **** Removal

Ok I did a search and didn't really find anything,of course it may be there and I missed it. On my 85 the **** came off my headlight switch so I bought a **** and it came with the rod attached to it. The guy at the parts store showed me the switch which has a release button on it for the rod. What I was wandering is there a simple easy trick to get to this button that I don't know of.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Old 07-21-2007, 01:05 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Take the **** off the shaft and put it on the existing shaft. Seems it would be a tad quicker than pulling the dash pad to access the switch.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:36 PM
ecorse66
Racer

The factory **** has a small spring release that lets you remove the **** from the rod. There is a small notch in one side of the **** where the release spring is visible. To release it you use a small screwdriver to depress the spring toward the face of the **** while pulling out the shaft. On an 85 you have to remove the **** in this manner before you can remove the dash trim plate to access the switch. There is also a push button type release on the switch itself which will release the **** and shaft as one unit, however I'm not sure it's possible to get a human hand up under the dash to accomplish this without the trim panels removed. Kind of a "Catch 22." If you bought a headlight **** at the parts store, the **** may be molded onto the shaft and therefore it is not possible to separate it from the shaft. You will find an original or reproduction **** from a Corvette dealer much easier to install. You just push it on.

Dave T.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Blak Z06
Racer

I have the same problem with my 87.. I still have the old ****.. It doesn't appear to be broken.. I can't figure out what held it on in the first place... The replacement I bought came permanently attached to the stem.. It's still sitting on my work bench...
Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 PM
ecorse66
Racer

I wish I had a picture of the stock ****. There is a little "V" shaped steel clip inside the ****. Pressing the open ends of the "V" together through a small slot in the side of the **** releases the **** from the rod. I believe reproductions of this **** are available from many Corvette vendors (Corvette Central, etc.). They are not particularly cheap ($20). I suspect the ***** you buy at an auto parts store have the **** permanently attached to the rod. These could be installed if you remove the dash trim panel and remove the existing rod from the switch. Once installed, however, you would have to destroy the **** before you could remove the dash trim panel again. I hope this make sense.

Dave T.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:14 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Small screwdriver in slot, push in and at the same time pull off, easy as pie.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:30 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnies87
Old 07-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Terrible Juan
Racer

7easy as pie.
Piece of cake!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Bullyj
Burning Brakes

Got it on yesterday. Thanks Guys

Once again the members on the Corvette Forum have saved me from breaking something.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM
bsbones
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1986 C4 floor pan

The floor pan on the passenger side has a crack in the corner on the exterior. The rivits have popped out can these be replaced with screws or if I drill new holes is there a metal that the screw will go in.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight switch Knob Removal

Quick Reply: Headlight switch Knob Removal