C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Big block on C4

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 AM
alx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big block on C4

Hello. Please ,tell me,can I use big block engine on my C4 1992 ?I meen the size between front suspension & transmission connecting to the engine.
Somebody made these things?My tranny is 4 L60.
Thank you.Alex.Russia.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Fubar569
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have done this swap

it is very involved...there is alot you have to do

you need to notch the front crossmember for oil pan clearance
you must use a 6.75" balancer or you will have to notch for balancer clearance
you will need to move the steering rack forward about 2" if you want to use serpentine belt accessories or a cog belt drive. Otherwise, you can use a single groove crank pulley and not move it at all
the motor mounts are a drop in fit with no modifications
you will have to clearance the HVAC cover that fits over the heater core OR replace this with a unit from a ZR1 corvette
the exhaust is a bitch. sanderson brand block hugger headers, stock big block manifolds, or custom welded headers are your only options that are proven to fit
you will need to seriously modify the transmission for additional power
you will need to swap rear differential for the same reason

then you need to cope with making all of the electronics play nice with one another, and make sure the stock gauges will work.

My thread covering the swap into my 1984 corvette is documented in the sticky at the top of the forum. I suggest you read it. The pictures will not work, however i can send pictures via email if interested
Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 AM
mltt_knnth
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fubar569

Can you tell me if you think after market frames with c-4 front suspension would have all of the very same fitment problems as as with using the c-4 ? I have a big block 65 and wnt to upgrade. Ken mltt_knnth@yahoo.com
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest hurdle (in my opinion) for the 92' would be the fuel injection and electronic functionality. With that said, you can forget about passing a visual emissions inspection.

Esham (a forum member) has an EFI big block c4 as well. He's also very friendly to chat with.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 PM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mltt_knnth
Can you tell me if you think after market frames with c-4 front suspension would have all of the very same fitment problems as as with using the c-4 ? I have a big block 65 and wnt to upgrade. Ken mltt_knnth@yahoo.com
Street shop can do it without any problems.

http://www.americanmusclecarsaustral...38710#msg15915

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
The biggest hurdle (in my opinion) for the 92' would be the fuel injection and electronic functionality. With that said, you can forget about passing a visual emissions inspection.

Esham (a forum member) has an EFI big block c4 as well. He's also very friendly to chat with.
Chris, the OP with the 92 posted his question in 2007.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The guys in the below link used to specialize in putting Big Blocks into C4's back in the 90's.... not sure if they still do it, but they have the know how. I use to race with the owner of the shop and also against many of his customers.... they ran pretty good and I know they were happy customers.

http://www.corvetteshopsandiego.com/

Thus, if you're not interested in attempting to do yourself, they might still be an option for you.

Having said that, with todays technology, you can get good power out of a simplier swap such as an LSX or a big cube SBC gen 1.

Good Luck with whatever you do.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:19 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by esham
Street shop can do it without any problems.

http://www.americanmusclecarsaustral...38710#msg15915

Chris, the OP with the 92 posted his question in 2007.

Haha! Didn't even notice that!

Get notified of new replies

To Big block on C4

Quick Reply: Big block on C4