C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 04:33 PM
Trizney
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes

Who makes these? I see some companies make turbo kits for the LT1 F-bodys, and I would expect them to work fine for our cars, but the tubing that is provided with the kits would be the biggest problem. Has anyone seen a kit that is made specifically for our cars? Seeing that 1300hp twin-turbo monster makes me wonder, what if...?

Trey
Old 11-30-2001, 05:02 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (Trizney)

We can handle a custom system for you if you are serious. There are no kits out at this time. We could do yours and then jig up a kit if it was something that people might want. :)
This is going to cost a pretty penny for a custom kit, but it will be beautiful when finished!!!
Let me know if you are serious.
Thanks,
Old 11-30-2001, 10:00 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (Chris@SpeedDemon)

We can handle a custom system for you if you are serious. There are no kits out at this time. We could do yours and then jig up a kit if it was something that people might want. :)
This is going to cost a pretty penny for a custom kit, but it will be beautiful when finished!!!
Thanks,
Where do you ball park tha figure too, Chris?
Old 12-01-2001, 01:10 AM
95Purple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
Just about how many of those pretty pennies would it be?
Old 12-01-2001, 01:35 AM
MJ
Pro

Oh Chris, see what you started !
Old 12-01-2001, 02:47 AM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (bill mcdonald)

A one off turbo kit will most likely be in the 10K range. This is everything from custom headers to custom intercoolers and install! :)
If we jiged up the kit and started selling/installing it, it would be a good bit cheaper than that.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:50 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

A one off turbo kit will most likely be in the 10K range.
I don't know about you other guys, but that sounds SUPER cheap for a custom turbo kit!!
Old 12-01-2001, 04:48 AM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (scorp508)

I don't know about "super cheap" but, for all of the custom work involved with a set-up like that ...the price is reasonable. :cheers:
Old 12-01-2001, 09:15 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

I'm having a custom intercooled twin turbo kit made for my tall-deck rocket block SBC 427 with 18* heads and Hogan's sheetmetal manifold. I feel better after hearing you say a custom kit would be $10K +. I am scheduled to get mine made the first week of January at TRZ Motorsports, and they estimated it to be $12,000 - $14,000. That is for .069" 321 stainless steel headers, custom intercooler sized for the turbo system and fitted to the car, stainless steel exhaust system and stainless steel mufflers, and custom aluminum cold air induction - it does not include the turbo's or wastegates, which I already have. I called Rad Rods by Troy (Troy Trepanier who did John Meaney's 1300hp C4 in this month's Popular Hot Rodding) and he said they charge about the same. I also posted this question on the NMCA/NSCA Headsupreview.com forum and they also said the price was fair. Obviously, TRZ and Rad Rods are high-end shops that do show/magazine quality work, but I was taken back at first. I am starting to relaize the price is pretty normal. I appreciate the amount of time is takes to fab and fit everything, but it's costly.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:00 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (Monty)

There are a few things that might drive our price up a little higher like how to take care of oiling and what wastegate, etc., but this should be a pretty close price. Of course, this is ALL custom fabrication, so there is no set price. There are always obstacles that come up and make the setup a little more difficult. Our turbo guy is pretty incredible and has been doing custom setups for years! I have never seen ANYONE weld quite like this guy. It is truly an art when he is fabricating. :)
Old 12-01-2001, 10:22 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (Trizney)

Turbochargers! They're over INFLATED! :lol: :jester :lol:
Old 12-01-2001, 10:29 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (GRX)

That's what all the NO2 and SC racers are saying while they are whining to the NMCA/NSCA/NMRA about how the turbo guys have an unfair advantage.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:02 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 709 Likes on 545 Posts

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (Monty)

very interested in a twin turbo installation for a ZR1. LPE charges 54K but won't be doing anymore due to contract info. looking for a potential vendor that knows what they are doing but will cut that price down to something more reasonable.

I've been running turbo buicks since 87 so I know a bit about turbos and the mods required. my buick is in the low 11s out of a punk v6. so far, not too many people want to touch an LT5 but it's a natural for a turbo application. very efficient 4 valve heads with a nice combustion chamber design.

I can get the engine work done to lower the compression. thinking about the stock computer for the primary injectors and an aftermarket computer to control the secondaries. should work well with really big injectors on the secondary side without ruining the factory calibration for idle/Ac guages, etc... LPE went with just 2 additional injectors which works well but I believe the fuel distribution would be much better with my approach.

interested in using top quality stuff and making a very reliable 800 HP on pump gas and 1000 on 104 octane race gas with alchy injection.

like to hear anyone as serious as I am provide more info. selling my BB vette to finance this if anyone is interested. :reddevil
Old 12-17-2001, 10:34 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (Rkreigh)

I've been running turbo buicks since 87 so I know a bit about turbos and the mods required. my buick is in the low 11s out of a punk v6.
low 11's on a GN isn't much more then a convertor, down pipe, front mount intercooler and larger turbo!! :)
Old 12-18-2001, 02:48 AM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

What kind of performance can be expected from this 10k kit???

Anyone have a good idea to share...
Old 12-18-2001, 06:07 PM
FrankD
Advanced

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (BowTieBlood)

Get more bang from your US $. Visit these guys http://www.high-techracing.com they have already completed a prototype Twin Turbo LT1 Vette. I've seen it and it's better (very clean setup)than any other setup out there.
some pages of their website are not working so their contact info is: PETER (905)856-5858 Toronto,Canada.

[Modified by FrankD, 4:16 PM 12/18/2001]
Old 12-18-2001, 06:17 PM
PylonBoy
Instructor

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (GRX)

Turbochargers! They're over INFLATED! :lol: :jester :lol:

no, they suck

BTW, superchargers blow.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes

Old 12-18-2001, 06:30 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (FrankD)

Hey Frank,

Is this kit done, since your the only one who has seen it?

I have been stalking the web page waiting for pics. No such luck. I have emailed but they dont reply. Any idea what is going on over there?
Old 12-18-2001, 06:57 PM
David-F
Drifting

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (FrankD)

Anyone thinking about a TT would be advised to study what Callaway did as a good starting point. $10,000.00 sounds cheap to me there would be a lot of work to do to make a kit that would be dependable and put out good power. Most of what Callaway did was just right and very dependable, power was kept a little conserative but they tried to make a TT that was able to be owned by anyone with out having any problems. A kit could probably be made but you would need to go in and prepair the engine also in order to take advantage of any kit made. Even Callaway went in and changed pistons, rods, crank, main caps, valves and valve springs, oil pump, distributor drive gear. And that was just the engine, they also had to modify starter, created a sump and then created a scavage pump, then installed engine oil cooler and intercoolers, enrichment injectors and controller air cleaner assembly(on 88 to 91) and all the ducking and pluming, plus oil and coolant feeds to the turbos, and modify frame on right side to make room for right turbo, custom exhaust, insulate tunnel and firewall, modfy hood for air to intercoolers, different clutch on 6spd. cars(it would over power stock clutch) and I'm sure I missed a few things, it's a lot of work but it is the way to go for serious power.

David Fulcher
Old 12-28-2001, 10:57 AM
SLICKMAN
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes (David-F)

Check it out... http://www.procharger.com/

Quick Reply: Turbo Kits for LT1 Vettes