C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 LT1 - Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:38 AM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LT1 - Serpentine Belt

OK, for the life of me I can't figure this out.

Last time I took the belt off no problem, this time, I can't get the belt off without hitting the water pump temp sensor, or getting my wrench jammed up against the rack after taking the belt off.

What the hell am I doing wrong? What wrench/technique/position do you guys usually attack the tensioner to remove the belt?

(and while I have you here, what size torx wrench do I need to move the alternator / ac compressor out of the way?)

Thanks a million. Going in to attack a power steering leak today...

John
Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pr1mu5
OK, for the life of me I can't figure this out.

Last time I took the belt off no problem, this time, I can't get the belt off without hitting the water pump temp sensor, or getting my wrench jammed up against the rack after taking the belt off.

What the hell am I doing wrong? What wrench/technique/position do you guys usually attack the tensioner to remove the belt?

(and while I have you here, what size torx wrench do I need to move the alternator / ac compressor out of the way?)

Thanks a million. Going in to attack a power steering leak today...

John
I get a wrench on it and use a pipe extension for leverage.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 AM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
I get a wrench on it and use a pipe extension for leverage.
Yeah, that's what I did last time I think, but last time I had no water pump in the way. This time, if I put a wrench on it from above, when I release the belt and try to let the tension out of the pulley, I'll shear off the water pump sensor housing... Can I take that sensor out of the pump without a gush of fluid coming out?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, that's what I did last time I think, but last time I had no water pump in the way. This time, if I put a wrench on it from above, when I release the belt and try to let the tension out of the pulley, I'll shear off the water pump sensor housing... Can I take that sensor out of the pump without a gush of fluid coming out?
Seems like mine had to be pulled back toward the alternator. I forget, sorry. I do remember I used a breaker bar and socket to get the pipe out a little bit. I never had any issues with the sensor at all.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:07 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

PITA..

So the correct way (at least what I did) is to put a 5/8 wrench on it with the open end facing out towards the driver side, away from the water pump, and then push down on that wrench using a breaker bar, and quickly slip the belt off hoping you don't slip off the end of the wrench and lose a finger tip.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the driver's side. This is a ghetto mechanic style job; you really have to be brutal with the pipe extension. I was surprised I didn't break anything else getting the belt back on!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:51 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just use an offset wrench. This way you will not hit the sensor. 14 or 15mm if I remember.

2 minute job, really.

Do not take out the sensor, that is nutz.....

Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by MikeC4
just use an offset wrench. This way you will not hit the sensor. 14 or 15mm if I remember.

2 minute job, really.

You put the wrench on a close to the steering rack as possible pull it up to the sensor and roll the belt off of the alternator. Let the tension off it will go back down not up.The stock tensioner is 5/8 my aftermarket one is 14mm.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:37 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PITA..

So the correct way (at least what I did) is to put a 5/8 wrench on it with the open end facing out towards the driver side, away from the water pump, and then push down on that wrench using a breaker bar, and quickly slip the belt off hoping you don't slip off the end of the wrench and lose a finger tip.

It's all about using the right tools.

Go spend a few bucks on an offset wrench set, and it is the easiest job there is on a C4..........far from being a PITA job.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:36 AM
RogerZ06
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought it was really easy. Line the belt up, Get on passenger side of the car. Put the wrench on push to driver side and use your other hand to put belt on alt.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 284 Likes on 258 Posts

Use a "serpentine belt wrench kit" (about $20.00) at Sears or Summit Racing. Its the best $20.00 you'll spend. It makes the job easy.

Or, use an 18" breaker bar.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Sunyi
Instructor

Also it really helps a lot to have someone slip the belt of the pulleys while you hold on to the wrench with both hands for safety.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 AM
mccannibal
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MikeC4

2 minute job, really.

I agreee about not taking the sensor off but the correct size is 16mm. Also is it not crazy that the alternator has three screw/bolts keeping it on and they are all different types?! One was hex screw, one was a standard bolt, and one was a metric bolt. I bought my vette used and maybe the previous owner but different bolts in but if it came from the factory with three different types the WTH!?!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 AM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
St. Jude Donor '15,'19

Originally Posted by runner140*
Use a "serpentine belt wrench kit" (about $20.00) at Sears or Summit Racing. Its the best $20.00 you'll spend. It makes the job easy.
Originally Posted by runner140*

Or, use an 18" breaker bar.
I agree this makes it easy

Get notified of new replies

To 94 LT1 - Serpentine Belt

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 - Serpentine Belt