C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TV Cable Adjust

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default TV Cable Adjust

The factory self adjust on my TV cable simply does not work. Cable does not click back when you depress the accelerator pedal. It just stays in place. I can move it by depressing the adjustment tab however.

Here's the thing. If I get the TV cable to allow for WOT at the throttle body with pedal all the way down, the shift points are way too close together, and the trans shifts WAY too early.

If I adjust the TV cable to allow for correct shifting, I can only open the throttle about 3/4 of the way when I floor it.

What gives? Bad cable? I've been putting this off because
it looks like a total PITA to detach at the trans from under the car.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Adjust the throttle cable
Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 86PACER
The factory self adjust on my TV cable simply does not work. Cable does not click back when you depress the accelerator pedal. It just stays in place. I can move it by depressing the adjustment tab however.
I would replace cable , it should rachet throughto the correct adjustment if working.
Incorrect adjustment can lead to $$$ if trans @#*& itself.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by rodj
I would replace cable , it should rachet throughto the correct adjustment if working.
Incorrect adjustment can lead to $$$ if trans @#*& itself.
Not if the TB cable is out of adjustment.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
Adjust the throttle cable
Seperate adjustment from TV? Where?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Seperate adjustment from TV? Where?
On your year I can only guess hopefully someone with you year will step in but if it has a little square part on it that is a release button. On my car there are releases on both the TV cable and throttle. Another thought is the TB cable is stretched. Let me get this straight though if you release the TV cable does it shorten and not stretch back out whn you put the throttle down?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the thing. If I get the TV cable to allow for WOT at the throttle body with pedal all the way down, the shift points are way too close together, and the trans shifts WAY too early.

If I adjust the TV cable to allow for correct shifting, I can only open the throttle about 3/4 of the way when I floor it.

What gives? Bad cable? I've been putting this off because
it looks like a total PITA to detach at the trans from under the car.

Where is it shifting?

Correct adjustment should be 1-2 around 18MPH, 2-3 around 33MPH, and OD should shift 45ish. All under normal acceleration. Short stacked shifts means your out and will cook your tranny so if it won't adjust don't put it off, replace the cable before you drive anymore to be safe
Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Factory setting calls for depressing the TV adjust tab, and moving the TV cable as far back as it will go. Then you get in the car, (engine off) and press accelerator to the floor (or open TB by hand). This is supposed to "ratchet" the TV cable to the correct setting automatically as the throttle linkage pulls forward to WOT. Mine won't move unless I manually depress the tab.

When set to WOT, the trans shift to second well before I even hit 10 MPH, then third soon after that. I only do test drives down the street. I know the importance of TV operation.

The trans shifts beautifully with TV all the way to the back. This is what I've ran for years with no problems. But can only get 3/4 throttle.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
my83432
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your not pushing hard enuff. First make sure you lube up tab.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I think you may be doing it backwards the cable is supposed to retract when you release it and stretch into position(get longer) when you push to the floor.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Factory setting calls for depressing the TV adjust tab, and moving the TV cable as far back as it will go. Then you get in the car, (engine off) and press accelerator to the floor (or open TB by hand). This is supposed to "ratchet" the TV cable to the correct setting automatically as the throttle linkage pulls forward to WOT. Mine won't move unless I manually depress the tab.

When set to WOT, the trans shift to second well before I even hit 10 MPH, then third soon after that. I only do test drives down the street. I know the importance of TV operation.

The trans shifts beautifully with TV all the way to the back. This is what I've ran for years with no problems. But can only get 3/4 throttle.
If you pushed the sleeve in (back towards firewall), pushed the throttle full and it didn't ratchet out I would say that it is time for a cable. It really won't be as bad as it looks to change in the car. I am guessing here as I had mine on when I put the tranny up but I have had some quality time under there so just get it up high enough to be comfortable and you should be good.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:50 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Coming over from C3 land:

I'm getting ready to replace my TV cable on my new rebuilt 700R4 from the bogus universal type (with no detent action) that came with the trans to the GM type with detent action.

I have already installed the trans in the car and filled it before I found out about how these universal cables work.

If you disconnect the TV cable at the trans while installed and filled, does that port leak out 10 gallons of tranny fluid?

Just wondering what Im going to have to deal with on this job.

Appreciate any replies.
Brent.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:38 PM
mikeremax
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 93. Does anyone have pic. of the cables that have the names of them. My is shift from 1to2 at 18 miles and will not shift into 3rd tell 40 miles plus. I need some help.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I have an 86,
I bumped the cable when removing the TPI, and when it was all back together, it shifted wierd.
I was able to adjust it like the book said, and it still wasn't right.
look on the cable sheath, and there will be a wear mark. In your case, there will be 2 wear marks. all the way back where you experienced it, and where the factory set it till someone readjusted it.
I went to the factory wear mark, and it shifted perfectly fine and I had full throttle as well.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:14 PM
tomaszC4
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

@86PACER were you able to resolve the issue with TV cable adjustment? I have the same issue as you described here. Adjustment ratchet doesn't simply work and it will not move the slider when I manually move throttle....
Old 12-19-2023, 03:28 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tomaszC4
@86PACER were you able to resolve the issue with TV cable adjustment? I have the same issue as you described here. Adjustment ratchet doesn't simply work and it will not move the slider when I manually move throttle....
It’s still the same, I never did anything with it. I thought about replacing the TV cable assembly, but then I got under the car and looked at where the hold down bolt is on the trans. Looked like a total pita to get to, so I just left it.
Old 12-20-2023, 03:16 PM
tomaszC4
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

@86PACER finally managed to make it work. Here is the fix:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1607352136

when you press D button and push cable housing towards firewall don't move it fully but to the point where squared/flat surface of the housing is aligned with ratchet mechanism. Then release D button and push throttle to full. It will align everything properly - tranny, throttle and gas

Get notified of new replies

To TV Cable Adjust

Old 12-20-2023, 08:40 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tomaszC4
@86PACER finally managed to make it work. Here is the fix:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1607352136

when you press D button and push cable housing towards firewall don't move it fully but to the point where squared/flat surface of the housing is aligned with ratchet mechanism. Then release D button and push throttle to full. It will align everything properly - tranny, throttle and gas
Thanks, I’ll give this a try once the rain stops and I’ll report back.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:22 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Ok I still don’t get what I’m doing wrong. Can you clarify what I’m supposed to do? Here’s a few pics of my TV mechanism.

Old 01-03-2024, 01:48 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 235 Posts

This is real simple set cables to factory specs if still will not shift right and you think cables are bad get a new able when reset if still does not shift right you going to need a trans pro the look at it ,these is no in-between ,had same problems with a new trans cables set right still did not shift right ,that's all can do with cables from there if set right and cables are good it's in the trans .. have to consider it's the trans .

Just installed one in my 93 not cheap and a bitch to install , Called 20 trans shops told what I needed they hung up the phone, so it was on me been there done that nobody would touch it in the Birmingham area ,said the C-4s too much work can't make any money off them .. Good luck .. PS I love my new rebuilt trans head snapper goes in OD at 58 MPH perfect for me ..

Quick Reply: TV Cable Adjust