C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Valves knocking ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Joey G
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valves knocking ????

I have a 87 tuned port with 63 thousand original miles . when I take off and get over 3k rpms the valves start knocking and it seems like a flat spot in the torque when it happens>please help???Any ideas???

joeyandsable@yahoo.com
Old 06-20-2009, 05:46 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey G
I have a 87 tuned port with 63 thousand original miles . when I take off and get over 3k rpms the valves start knocking and it seems like a flat spot in the torque when it happens>please help???Any ideas???

joeyandsable@yahoo.com
Usually valve tap and rods knock. What does it sound like?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 PM
ride250s
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem for a while and didn't know where to start searching for the problem... People suggested all kinds of things, and the service tech did too.

I ended up replacing the EGR Valve and that didn't fix it. I adjusted the idle and that helped but I had to advance it so far the engine ran weird...

Well one day my clutch master cylinder went out and I had to jack the car up to fix that. While I was under there I saw that the knock sensor plug wire had fallen off... Hooked it back up and the engine runs stronger than it ever did!

I recently put on a new knock sensor and new knock sensor plug wire just so I know it will work like it should for a while.

If your knock sensor is working, it could be the EGR, they can caust things to get too hott if they are faulty.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Joey G
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Usually valve tap and rods knock. What does it sound like?
sounds like popcorn popping when i punch the gas.it only does it when the engine gets warmer and i accelerate.it keeps quiet so long as i doent step on it .
Old 06-21-2009, 11:54 PM
ride250s
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like popcorn popping when i punch the gas.it only does it when the engine gets warmer and i accelerate.it keeps quiet so long as i doent step on it .
Like I said, mine did the samething... Everytime I hit the gas hard it happened, but only after it was warmed up good. I bet your knock sensor is bad or disconnected...
Old 06-22-2009, 12:04 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Sounds like detonation to me. If it is, be careful and don't do it too much. Check your fuel quality, timing, spark plug heat range, and knock sensor as suggested.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Backfiring through the intake? Mine sounded like popcorn popping when it was backfiring through the intake.

Get notified of new replies

To Valves knocking ????

Quick Reply: Valves knocking ????