C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Knocking sound when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:11 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Knocking sound when turning left

So I finally got the car back on the road from this problem.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...off-twice.html

I think they had to drop the rack or something the shop said. Know when I am turning left I get a weird knocking sound, it doesn't do it turning to the right. If I turn the wheel all the way right and then back left it will knock the entire time its turning left. If I stop turning and go back right a bit it stops.
Any ideas? Its a '94.

Thanks.

Last edited by n1kki6; 07-26-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:15 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

I should also mention it was doing it during breaking too. I though it might have been my rotr cause it was in bad shape so I replace the front rotors and breaks, now is doesn't do it when breaking but it still does it when turning. The noise seems to be coming from the front passenger side. It didn't do it before bringing it so I am wondering if something just didn't get torque down, I will probably call them tomorrow but if its something I can just button up it would be easier.

Last edited by n1kki6; 07-26-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:29 PM
basselope
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Edit:
HA! You beat me to it!
I would still suspect brakes since replacing the rotors and pads had an effect. Do you notice any pulse when braking? Could be that your rear is making the noise but seems to come from the front - not unusual at all with any vehicle.

original message*************
Can you tell if the sound is coming from one side or the other?
Can you feel it in the steering wheel; through the floor, etc?
Does it seem to be affected by road speed or engine speed?
Is it a light tapping or heavy thumping sound?

Knee jerk thought would go to a loose brake pad. If the noise stops with a light application of brakes while it is thumping you can pretty much bet that's the culprit.

Could also be a loose wheel if the tech had them off.

More info should help narrow it down.

Last edited by basselope; 07-26-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

It does it regardless if the break is pressed or not. Its a heavier lower thumping sound, its coming from the passenger side it seems, and I can feel it through the steering wheel lightly.

Last edited by n1kki6; 07-26-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Im trying to get a hold of someone to come turn the wheel while I am under the car to try to narrow it down.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

It doing it when parked though as well. And its loud, i can tell its not a pad and it was doing it before and after I did the breaks. I think it was probably something from them doing something to the suspension, Im just not sure what all to check.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Try to isolate where it's coming from...this will help. But the first thing I would look at is front swaybar bushings. If these are worn, the swaybar is metal to metal....and will produce a pronounced "clunk" under a number of scenarios. If they are shot, you will be able to see it.

If the suspension bushings have never been replaced on your car, they are now 15 years old and probably mush. Take a good look at all of them.

Suspension / steering noise can be hard to nail down....check all the easy stuff first.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

I just went out to try to record audio of it and now it wont do it. I will take it out for a drive in a bit and see if I can get more info and what it might be. The first time I head it was driving home at it did it during breaking into a clover leaf and then every time I would brake, but the motor mount nuts on the cradle were left off so it migh have been that rattling.

At that time I pulled over found the nuts and put them on. It still did it during breaking, so today I did the breaks and now it doesn't do it when I break but then strated doing it when I would turn left. Not matter if I was driving, breaking or not breaking, if i would turn the wheel all the way right the entire time it was coming left it would do it. Now it is not doing it all. I will try to get more info.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 PM
basselope
Instructor

Rut-roh! if it's doing it while parked and turning the wheel causes it to start up it has to be in the steering - either the pump or the rack.

A loose pump could potentially do it. A loose rack probably not.
I've seen this in the old recirculating-ball steering gears, but I can't say I've ever come across it in a rack system.

Do you notice any unusual resistance or pump "whine" associated with the noise?
A little pump whine when turning the wheel on a parked car is normal. If it starts to sound like a buzz saw there's a problem.

Check your steering fluid level and look for any signs of metal flakes floating around in there. This could indicate a damaged pump. I still wouldn't understand the thump, but I've seen some odd noises caused by very unlikely sources before.

I'll be out for awhile & check back later, but I'm sure the fine folks here will serve you as well or better than I could.
Best of luck!

Last edited by basselope; 07-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Im gonna take it out right now. I now they had to drop the rack at the shop when I had my balancer put on, it was not doing it previously so I am guessing it is something with that. Power sterring fluid is fine, and it has the normal whine nothing out of the norm.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 PM
basselope
Instructor

One last thought, if the rack or a component is loose it could get pushed into some other part of the car. I don't know how tight it is sandwiched in there, but it's a thought.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

That is kind of what it sounds like. One last note, i jacked it up and it was doing it then when I dropped it and came back in the house went back out it stopped. When I first drove the car home from the shop I think it was also doing it turning right.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

edit

Last edited by n1kki6; 07-27-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:50 PM
basselope
Instructor

Went out and took a look at my '94... I have to believe that you're on the right track. There are a number of items that could get torqued up into the upper cross member or nearby component. If you can get someone to help, 1/4 turn back and forth or turn to full stop should show it. I wouldn't recommend any more test drives until you nail this one down - you've had enough headaches for awhile!

And since it continues knocking while parked it could well be getting into a pulley. I'm willing to bet that you'll find a nice, new shiny spot somewhere on the rack or steering hose end.

Last edited by basselope; 07-26-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Someone is headed over now, after sitting and cooling down its not doing it again, i am guessing something is just loose still. Will post more info in a bit.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

I found out what it is, their is a nub on the rack that when turning left rubs on the bolts on the damper, it does it under hard breaking and when turning left. I will just have to get it back to the shop and see what they can do for clearance.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 PM
basselope
Instructor

Le us know how this turns out for you.
Hope all goes smoothly!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:07 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

All seems well here now, but I have another sound I am trying to track.

Get notified of new replies

To Knocking sound when turning left

Quick Reply: Knocking sound when turning left