C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Corvette Fever Magazine Article

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by The Green Rocket
Josh, in SoCal when you see a beater 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird you can be pretty sure the meth is not that far away - seriously. For reasons unknown to police departments, meth addicts love beater 3rd gen Camaro/Firebirds. Next time you see a really crappy 3rd gen F-body piled high with trash inside...now you know.

Forget about LS engine into C4 swaps, give me an article on this car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cccYWADbHPw

Thomas
WOW! I got wood
Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 PM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ch@os, a little thread hijacking is in order - more details on the turbo LT4 http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=113155

Enjoy, Thomas
Old 03-07-2010, 11:01 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

ch@os, a little thread hijacking is in order - more details on the turbo LT4 http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=113155

Enjoy, Thomas
thanks, I'm jealous ..and to think I could have been following the wax thread..
Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Who needs them anyways?We got this forum to do it all!
I stopped subscribing years ago...You dont need a magazine to tell you about your cars anymore or to make you feel better about them.Its all here.The mags have been sucking bad for a while.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

The aftermarket market for the C5/C6 is 100 times bigger than any other Corvette Generation. As I said on previous threads, the C4 market is limited/dead.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Aggravated4life
Who needs them anyways?We got this forum to do it all!
I stopped subscribing years ago...You dont need a magazine to tell you about your cars anymore or to make you feel better about them.Its all here.The mags have been sucking bad for a while.

yup and they kill more trees that our cars do.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by esham
That is one reason why I like Corvette Enthusiast Magazine better.
Good post. I registered and you can read the magazine on-line
Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

These cars are getting cheaper and three things are gonna happen.

Hillbillies are gonna destroy some of them by putting carb'd junk in them, older guys are gonna make them affordable sunday drivers (already have), and import guys are going to grab arguably the biggest bang for the buck out there right now and go to town.

Mark me as one of the OG import guys here to show you C4 guys how the real import car builders get down. I got something for you...just wait.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:54 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Josh, in SoCal when you see a beater 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird you can be pretty sure the meth is not that far away - seriously. For reasons unknown to police departments, meth addicts love beater 3rd gen Camaro/Firebirds. Next time you see a really crappy 3rd gen F-body piled high with trash inside...now you know.

Forget about LS engine into C4 swaps, give me an article on this car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cccYWADbHPw

Thomas
Good thing I don't drive my 3rd gen Firebird in SoCal.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 AM
c-4 lhozwalte
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I think what it really comes down to, is there isn't much to be mad about. They wrote an honest response, instead of a politically correct statement of bs. Granted, maybe the fact that swapping LSx's isn't hitting the mark they'd hoped for. I think people are more inclined to simply build what's in the car.

Reality is, there isn't much modding happening in the C4 forum beyond very basic stuff. I think a lot of that has to do with the available aftermarket and limited amount of enhancement parts like the C5 and C6 cars enjoy. That doesn't make it impossible though.

I think if they were presented a worthy, truly well modded c4 as a feature...it'd be in there.
you mean like this
Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 198 Likes on 172 Posts

I like the car I bought. I could have bought more but that’s the look I like. I have no intention of modifying the car. Several things did not work when I got it. But what I pride myself on is it ALL works now, just the way it came off the lot in 94 (except for couple oil drips). I like the car the way it is and drive it for me. Everybody has their car for their own set of reasons. If I what to impress someone, they can come fly in my plane.

Having said that, I understand the magazine gets their main money from advertising, not subscriptions. C5 and C6 is the newest and I guess that’s where the advertisers target their customers. Maybe they are willing to spend more money on their cars and that’s fine. But advertisers won’t advertise unless a magazine had a large enough subscription base. So the magazine has to direct it articles to C5 & C6 people if that’s where their main advertisers are targeting. (I know a bit about advertising since my wife does publications).

So would I like to see more articles about C4, sure. Corvette magazine rotates articles for all corvette years. Of course when our turn comes up and that issue has more stuff on the C4 I enjoy that issue a lot more. But the advertising does not change, it's still mostly for the C5, C6 crowd.

Last edited by pcolt94; 03-08-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:08 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

As others have stated, the parts aftermarket just isn't there like it is for the C5 and C6s. The other reason is that it is alot easier to work on a C5 and C6. The FI side alone is alot easier for the C5 and C6. Then you have the cold air intake makers that are there for the C5 and C6 crowd. We have heard for years how Vararam was going to make something for the C4 but yet they still aren't around. I would venture to say that it also comes down to how cheap C5s and C6s are now. You get an easier platform to work with and there are more aftermarket parts available so it is only logical that you will have more in that crowd that will modify.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark me as one of the OG import guys here to show you C4 guys how the real import car builders get down. I got something for you...just wait.
Any hints!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

History has shown me, when I open my mouth too soon either someone does it before me or something gets in the way. So, I know now not to go there too quickly. In terms of drivetrain, I can pretty confidently say its never been done. There are FEW examples that are similar in some ways, but noone has implemented the components like I will. No swaps..keepin whats in it. I have some suspension and appearance items that I haven't seen on C4's either.

I've built about 60 custom forced induction setups over the past 10 years (several of them one-off), fabricated over 30 custom headers and manifolds, built countless motors, tuned countless engine management systems...so I'm pretty solid from a builders standpoint. Just gotta learn the ins and outs of these cars with some forum members help, along with getting in there.

I'm really not limited in any way as far as what I can produce. It all just comes down to money and how quickly I can generate it and implement the plan.

I won't disappoint. I don't like talking about it though...I like actions to speak. I'm gettin there. I'm selling parts, bikes, cars and everything to get my corvette here shortly. I'm not divin in immediately, because I want to enjoy and experience the car for a bit first. I'll do small things, but winter will bring the true build.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
The aftermarket market for the C5/C6 is 100 times bigger than any other Corvette Generation. As I said on previous threads, the C4 market is limited/dead.
I dont understand why you are saying that the C4 market is limited/dead. I purchased the C4 so I could build a very fast car for a lot less money than a C5 LS platform. I have way over 500 horspower with a 406 block, miniram, 600 lift cam, headers, stand alone ecm, AFR heads, I run with the LS7s for about $10,000 vs $65,000. I think the car is more fun to drive than the C5s or C6s, (driven both).
Here where I live there are are a ton of C4s being modded 500 hp+) and driven like they were stolen. These cars were made to hot rod.

And if I decided to do it again, I would start with a C4. And if I wanted an LS I would by a $15,000 C5, and hot rod it.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

History has shown me, when I open my mouth too soon either someone does it before me or something gets in the way. So, I know now not to go there too quickly. In terms of drivetrain, I can pretty confidently say its never been done. There are FEW examples that are similar in some ways, but noone has implemented the components like I will. No swaps..keepin whats in it. I have some suspension and appearance items that I haven't seen on C4's either.

I've built about 60 custom forced induction setups over the past 10 years (several of them one-off), fabricated over 30 custom headers and manifolds, built countless motors, tuned countless engine management systems...so I'm pretty solid from a builders standpoint. Just gotta learn the ins and outs of these cars with some forum members help, along with getting in there.

I'm really not limited in any way as far as what I can produce. It all just comes down to money and how quickly I can generate it and implement the plan.

I won't disappoint. I don't like talking about it though...I like actions to speak. I'm gettin there. I'm selling parts, bikes, cars and everything to get my corvette here shortly. I'm not divin in immediately, because I want to enjoy and experience the car for a bit first. I'll do small things, but winter will bring the true build.
can't wait to see it
BTW:87 vette $3400
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1633568802.html
Old 03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 413 Likes on 339 Posts

There are lots of modded C4's out there. Go to your local track (drag or road course) and talk to the people. They aren't all on here posting about their cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Fever Magazine Article

Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
can't wait to see it
BTW:87 vette $3400
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1633568802.html
The car is probably trashed for that price. Or the owner is super rich and just wants to dump the car regardless of how much he looses. Or its on its 5th or 6th owner.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Gotta be 6spd chaos...GOTTA be. Can't move on that. Past 15 years all I wanted was a 6spd...I gotta have it or it just won't be the same. If that means savin up longer, then so be it.

I think your point about the budget and value for power is true. The statement that the aftermarket being bigger for C5's and C6's though, is definitely also true. It may be more expensive, but the companies are behind those cars no doubt. I don't think C4's should be counted out though, it just takes a little more individual capability to make it happen.

I definitely think if there were more C4 owners pushing and demanding parts (backed by cash) companies would be on board. Why there aren't companies reproducing Lingenfelter or Callaway bodies on the cheap is BEYOND me. Certain people can cry about it, but people would buy them. There needs to be something new brought to the market that reenergizes the desire to own these cars from a look standpoint. The C6's are just disgusting (in a good way) on so many levels. The C5's have a lot of sick examples as well. C4's need a boost to get some new enthusiasts.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 PM
btr85vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've wanted a Vette forever, and it took me 44 years. I bought a non-running 85 for $2500, put a grand in it, and now I beat the living crap out of it every time I drive it. How can you go wrong with a car like this for $3.5K?

I've checked every Vette magazine out and to me they're not technical enough. That's why I troll the this C4 board every day. Don't waste your time on a magazine.

Would I have a C5 if I had the cash? Hellz yeah. But I don't and I drive the fastest thing you can buy for the money. Oh, don't get me wrong, I've already got plans in the works for this guy.

All boiled down...don't care what magazines say. C4's are the performance bargain of the century. Just remember that next time you're on a twisty road and scaring the sh*t outta yourself.

Quick Reply: Corvette Fever Magazine Article