C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 fuel injectors bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 PM
surfer92
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartynuska
I had a set of stock replacement Multecs go bad in less than 6 months. 5 of 8. There is a different injector GM uses for warranty work. Those are currently in my car and running fine.

The Corvette injector was not used in the van lines - just F and Y bodies. '92 Corvettes used a different injector - first year for LT1.

My '97 LT1 Trans Am has no injector issues. I can't speak for the 3rd gen CamaroBirds - I don't have any experience with them.

1992 is not a suspect year for Corvettes. Neither is '88, I've looked at those, different injector, as are the '90 ZR1 injectors.

The stock '89-'91 Multecs are that bad....
You sure about his, the Multitecs on the van are the same design.

Will have to pull one and get a part nbr,seems weird that GM would se a different injector for a 90 vette and a 90 van, then again w/GM in the shape they are in, maybe not so strange.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 PM
msledge50
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default injectors

Originally Posted by Millah
My 89 was doing the same thing. I just replaced my injectors to bosch 3s from Jon @ FIC. WAAAAAYYY better running car now. I had at least 2 or 3 injectors that was bad. For about $200 bucks you cant beat FIC's prices. Not to tough to install.
Hi, I have a 85 vette with 47,000 miles on it what is the average life of injectors,I am thinking of upgrading my injectors and i like to know how hard of a job to change them myself and what all is involve and what to look out for. THANKS
Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by msledge50
Hi, I have a 85 vette with 47,000 miles on it what is the average life of injectors,I am thinking of upgrading my injectors and i like to know how hard of a job to change them myself and what all is involve and what to look out for. THANKS
Is easy but time consuming. 4-7 hours. Heres a video by Sammy Calderone that will give you an idea of whats involved.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by msledge50
Life in terms of years is unknown, in terms mileage, unknown.
My 93 lasted till over 130k and 12 years, my van 20 years and well over 200k.

FIC created a sticky on testing, basically w/engine hot put a OHM meter to the injectors, if you get 13 OHM's or below they are bad.

Never replaced them on a L98, know it is harder than my LT1.

Josh, it is a 350, think it is a l98, it has been so long since I worked on it, I will have to check.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:42 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer92
Life in terms of years is unknown, in terms mileage, unknown.
My 93 lasted till over 130k and 12 years, my van 20 years and well over 200k.

FIC created a sticky on testing, basically w/engine hot put a OHM meter to the injectors, if you get 13 OHM's or below they are bad.

Never replaced them on a L98, know it is harder than my LT1.

Josh, it is a 350, think it is a l98, it has been so long since I worked on it, I will have to check.
Different engines probably have different things like injectors. Even if your van has an L98. It might have a different type of Multec injector.

One thing though with the Multecs from my understand of watching a few videos and reading up on them. Is they can ohm good, and the car can appear to run good. But then you take the injectors out and put them on a flow bench. And you might see that the injectors aren't working properly.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
msledge50
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default injectors

THANKS
Old 04-02-2010, 12:15 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Different engines probably have different things like injectors. Even if your van has an L98. It might have a different type of Multec injector.

One thing though with the Multecs from my understand of watching a few videos and reading up on them. Is they can ohm good, and the car can appear to run good. But then you take the injectors out and put them on a flow bench. And you might see that the injectors aren't working properly.
That is any injector, injectors can and do get clogged and the Multitec's in the van, are the same as in the 90 vette's.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:43 PM
vetdrem
Instructor

Default Dumba$$ mechanic

Im finally back! You will never guess what else Ive discovered...the mechanic left the aluminum plate that goes over the distributor off! The 3 screws that attach it onto the plenum were laying underneath where you close the hood down up by the windshield. Also, the fuel pressure schrader valve stem is bent and the cap wasn't put back on either. I called him up and asked him to look for the plate and told him about the stem being bent. He got an attitude and so when I asked him to tell me everything he did to my car when he had it, he said he couldnt recall. What an A$$!! Oooh it pi$$ed me off so bad that I drove up to his shop right then and went off! Lot of good it did me but it made me feel a little better. Anyway, so thats where Im at now. No answers as to what all he did to my car

P.S. Also, now I have no dash lights when I turn on my headlights. Have checked the fuse in the fusebox on the passenger side and fuse is not bad.

Last edited by vetdrem; 05-01-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-01-2010, 06:48 PM
vetdrem
Instructor

Originally Posted by Millah
Ok now that we have all bumped heads. Where did the hot chick with the black vette go?
You're so sweet...thanks for the compliment.:o
Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM
surfer93
Pro

Well, if it started running bad all at once,, check the following.

OHM the injectors, as stated in previous post.

Take coil and ICM to parts store to test, note an ICM can still be bad and test good on tester. Guess the tester cannot test everything.

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced, if over 20-35k miles, then replace.

Check plugs for fouling, easy was to see if an injector(s) are stuck open or leaking.

Check for burnt plug wires, also OHM then for resistance. Someone will have to chime in w/resistance per foot.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

They are 21 years old Id change them out anyway.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:48 PM
surfer93
Pro

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
They are 21 years old Id change them out anyway.
I would not do them till you fix the current problem, because if they are not installed right, you could compound the problem.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 PM
milsurpman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by surfer92
Had a 89 w/179k miles and my 90 van had over 210k miles and still going on multitecs, if this is such a problem, GM would have put out atleast a TSB on them.
Not doubting them going bad, they are 20+ years old, heck if I replace plugs w 10-15k miles on the car, it will run better, that is not proof, I want to see where someone ran them for x miles and they broke down because of ethonal.
I was on the f-body forum and do not see near the beefs w/multitec's and they use the same injector.
Gm did put one out the techs were destroying the injectors by cleaning them from the rail. My set was changed out at 34k due to coil failure.

1986 - 1991: Service Bulletin: Multec Fuel Injectors / Cleaning Information
Subject: MULTEC FUEL INJECTORS/CLEANING INFORMATION
Model and Year:
1986-90 CELEBRITY
1986-91 CAMARO, CAVALIER, CORVETTE
1987-91 CORSICA, BERETTA
1990-91 LUMINA, STORM
Source: Chevrolet Service Bulletin
Bulletin Number: 91-312-6E - (05/15/1991)
THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND SUPERSEDES DEALER SERVICE BULLETIN NO. 91-280-6E, DATED
APRIL 1991. THE STORM HAS BEEN ADDED. ALL COPIES OF 91-280-6E SHOULD BE DISCARDED.
This bulletin has been written to inform technicians of possible damage to Multec port fuel injectors as a
result of cleaning.
The ball and seat design of the Multec port fuel injectors eliminates the need of ever having to use an injector
cleaner. By design, the fuel metering portions of the injector are not directly exposed to the intake manifold
gases that are responsible for the build-up of deposits that can cause injectors to clog.
Some of these cleaners may contain high percentages of methanol and other solvents that cause damage to
the injectors' coil wire insulation. Damaged insulation results in low resistance or shorted injectors. Also, high
percentages of methanol or other solvents can increase friction at the injectors' critical bearing surfaces,
resulting in premature wear.
General Motors has conducted extensive injector cleaning studies to determine effectiveness. There is no
confirmed evidence that cleaning Multec port fuel injectors has resolved a vehicle driveability problem. In
addition, suppliers of various injector cleaners may claim that their product can also clean intake valve
deposits. General Motors laboratory tests have shown that injector cleaners have little or no effect on intake
valve deposits.
General Motors maintains the position that Multec port fuel injectors should not be cleaned.
General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are
written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information
that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools,
safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume
that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors
dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit
from the information.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:46 AM
shiner2001
Instructor

Grab a cup of coffee and peruse through this one for a couple minutes if you have time. Before I had the problem that I originally posted about, my 89 was running EXACTLY like you have described yours. The "surging" or "rolling" at idle and the terrible sounds it was making are just as you described. This thread may give you an idea of other options and things you can check for free/cheap before you spring for injectors, but I gotta say, mine is running 1000% better than it has since I got it a few months ago after I changed my injectors last week (Bosch III's from FIC).

Best of luck with the diagnosis and repairs!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
surfer93
Pro

Originally Posted by milsurpman
Gm did put one out the techs were destroying the injectors by cleaning them from the rail. My set was changed out at 34k due to coil failure.

1986 - 1991: Service Bulletin: Multec Fuel Injectors / Cleaning Information
Subject: MULTEC FUEL INJECTORS/CLEANING INFORMATION
Model and Year:
1986-90 CELEBRITY
1986-91 CAMARO, CAVALIER, CORVETTE
1987-91 CORSICA, BERETTA
1990-91 LUMINA, STORM
Source: Chevrolet Service Bulletin
Bulletin Number: 91-312-6E - (05/15/1991)
THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND SUPERSEDES DEALER SERVICE BULLETIN NO. 91-280-6E, DATED
APRIL 1991. THE STORM HAS BEEN ADDED. ALL COPIES OF 91-280-6E SHOULD BE DISCARDED.
This bulletin has been written to inform technicians of possible damage to Multec port fuel injectors as a
result of cleaning.
The ball and seat design of the Multec port fuel injectors eliminates the need of ever having to use an injector
cleaner. By design, the fuel metering portions of the injector are not directly exposed to the intake manifold
gases that are responsible for the build-up of deposits that can cause injectors to clog.
Some of these cleaners may contain high percentages of methanol and other solvents that cause damage to
the injectors' coil wire insulation. Damaged insulation results in low resistance or shorted injectors. Also, high
percentages of methanol or other solvents can increase friction at the injectors' critical bearing surfaces,
resulting in premature wear.
General Motors has conducted extensive injector cleaning studies to determine effectiveness. There is no
confirmed evidence that cleaning Multec port fuel injectors has resolved a vehicle driveability problem. In
addition, suppliers of various injector cleaners may claim that their product can also clean intake valve
deposits. General Motors laboratory tests have shown that injector cleaners have little or no effect on intake
valve deposits.
General Motors maintains the position that Multec port fuel injectors should not be cleaned.
General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are
written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information
that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools,
safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume
that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors
dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit
from the information.
You need to learn to read better!!

The TSB talks about METHONAL, not ETHONAL.

I agree that running FI cleaner is a very bad idea.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM
shiner2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by surfer93

I agree that running FI cleaner is a very bad idea.

I wonder if the "don't use FI cleaner" rule still applies to the aftermarket injectors such as the commonly used Boschs...any idea there anyone?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:58 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shiner2001
I wonder if the "don't use FI cleaner" rule still applies to the aftermarket injectors such as the commonly used Boschs...any idea there anyone?
FI cleaner is fine for any dry coil design..All injectors made today are dry coils. So, no problem except that all the sediment in the lines and tank that get through the filter end up in the filter basket in the injector.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 fuel injectors bad?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:48 AM
surfer93
Pro

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
FI cleaner is fine for any dry coil design..All injectors made today are dry coils. So, no problem except that all the sediment in the lines and tank that get through the filter end up in the filter basket in the injector.
Jon, do you know when everybody started making ethonal safe injectors?

Curious as to when Bosch were safe, because my Volvo has Bosch and it is a 95 and it started running a little rough, I have about 250k miles on it and still stock injectors.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM
hobieman
Cruising

My '89 quit running altogether and I have a mechanic telling me that it is the EFI and they are wired in series (if one fails, they all fail) which makes no sense to me. He tells me he was able to short across the failed on and got the car running.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Great info guys!

Quick Reply: 1989 fuel injectors bad?