C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 fuel injectors bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM
vetdrem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 fuel injectors bad?

I took my 1989(automatic transmission) to a mechanic recently because it is running very poorly. Has been surging for some time now and when i first start it up, will start but unless I keep foot on the gas, will die. After a few minutes of high reving it will stay running but sounds terrible. When i back out of driveway and put it in drive, hesitates like is going to die, i pump gas pedal and we take off. at the stop sign, i have to put it in neutral as i roll up to sign or will try and die. then put in drive, push gas and will go but missing and sounds awful. The mechanic says I have 5 out of 8 fuel injectors that are bad. Does this sound right? Would I have even been able to drive it up there with 5 out of 8 "bad"?
Keep in mind Im a female.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 401 Likes on 319 Posts

89 Corvettes Multec injectors are not ethenol compliant so thats more than likely your problem. Most of use on this forum have had to replace our injectors on our 89-91 Corvettes already, myself included .Its not if these Multec injectors will fail, its when... The best way of fixing this is to get in touch with Jon at FIC fuel Injectors and order a rebuilt set from him, on this site he's the go to guy for injectors and won't do you wrong..If you can put them in yourself thats the cheapest way to go but if not find a garage you trust.. WW

Call and ask for Jon, he will take care of you..WW

http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.co...&productId=134

Last edited by WW7; 03-30-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 161 Posts

Hey vetdrem, do you have a list of what the mechanic checked? I'm wondering if they'd checked fuel pressure & leak down, injector pulse, state of tune up parts, & scan it for codes & live data. You can never ask too many questions when your paying for auto repairs.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 PM
surfer92
Pro

5 of 8 failing at once, is almost to much to believe. Did it start running bad all at once or gradually over time?
How did he determine they were bad, did he OHM them?
OHM meter measures resistance in wires and other electrical connections.
OHM readings above 13 is good and below is bad.
When was the last tuneup?
Did anybody do anything to the engine just before it started running bad?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Millah
Racer

My 89 was doing the same thing. I just replaced my injectors to bosch 3s from Jon @ FIC. WAAAAAYYY better running car now. I had at least 2 or 3 injectors that was bad. For about $200 bucks you cant beat FIC's prices. Not to tough to install.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
jmartynuska
Instructor

5 out of 8 injectors going bad at once on an '89 is very believable. As WW stated, the Multecs are not ethanol compatible. Just the little used in pump gas not designated as E85 is enough to ruin these injectors.

Easiest check is the "ohm check". Pull the plug off the injector, measure across the pins with a digital ohm meter - less than 12-14 ohms, replace them before you ruin an ECM.

I dealt with Jon @ FIC when I needed injectors. Great pricing and you'll be hard pressed to find better customer service anywhere. Some shops aren't willing to install customer provided parts - ask yours, then call Jon.

If your shop won't install supplied parts, are there any forum members close to you who'd do the install?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Millah
Racer

Some one who has done an injector swap could change them out in 2 hours or less so If you buy some, dont let anyone charge you more then $200 to install them.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
vetdrem
Instructor

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
Hey vetdrem, do you have a list of what the mechanic checked? I'm wondering if they'd checked fuel pressure & leak down, injector pulse, state of tune up parts, & scan it for codes & live data. You can never ask too many questions when your paying for auto repairs.

Very true. I dont have a list at this time but will call him and get one and post it on here. I remember him checking the pressure with a fuel pressure gauge and it being fine. Seems like he also said I needed to replace my spark plugs. I will get a list as soon as i can.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 AM
vetdrem
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmartynuska
5 out of 8 injectors going bad at once on an '89 is very believable. As WW stated, the Multecs are not ethanol compatible. Just the little used in pump gas not designated as E85 is enough to ruin these injectors.

Easiest check is the "ohm check". Pull the plug off the injector, measure across the pins with a digital ohm meter - less than 12-14 ohms, replace them before you ruin an ECM.

I dealt with Jon @ FIC when I needed injectors. Great pricing and you'll be hard pressed to find better customer service anywhere. Some shops aren't willing to install customer provided parts - ask yours, then call Jon.

If your shop won't install supplied parts, are there any forum members close to you who'd do the install?
Speaking of the ECM, I had a rebuilt one put in last summer because of the car starting to run bad. Same prom chip though.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 AM
vetdrem
Instructor

Thank you to everyone who had input for me. I will find out everything the mechanic did and will post it on here soon. Thanks again you guys are great!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:10 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by jmartynuska

If ethonal was so bad for Multitecs, 100% of Chevy car and trucks w/them would have gone bad that had them and I do not see that.
My van has Multitecs and is still running strong and my 92 has them and it runs great, so until you have proof, I am not going to believe you.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Fuel Delivery is based on the Coolant Temp signal so hopefully that was checked. On my '89, it suddenly started toggling somewhere between 220 and 235, so cold starts were difficult if not impossible. Amazingly, a few others experienced same and troubleshooting led to bad ECM's. Whether or not we all had the same rebuild (I'm on my 4th or 5th with 3 replaced under the original warranty) was something I didn't explore, but hooking up a scanner - if you haven't - might not be a bad idea.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Chapindad
Racer

Ethanol is not bad really for the injectors. But hydrous ethanol used to mix with gasoline is bad because "Hydrous ethanol (about 95% ethanol and 5% water) can be used as fuel in more than 90% of new cars sold in the country. "; source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol.

It is the 5% water that causes the problems. Most older injectors where not made of stainless steel because at the time it was not needed. Now that no one sells non-ethanol gas around me, I am using the 10-15% Ethanol blends. The 5% water of the 10% blend, which isn't a whole lot, will at some point cause corrosion in your injectors and that corrosion will clog your injectors at some point. If you have injectors with stainless steel cores then you will not experience this problem, which may be why you have not ran into the problem.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Millah
Racer

He found proof! My 89 runs 10 times better since I dumped the Multecs. They did have a ton of miles on them. Injector technology has improved since 1989.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chapindad
Ethanol is not bad really for the injectors. But hydrous ethanol used to mix with gasoline is bad because "Hydrous ethanol (about 95% ethanol and 5% water) can be used as fuel in more than 90% of new cars sold in the country. "; source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol.

It is the 5% water that causes the problems. Most older injectors where not made of stainless steel because at the time it was not needed. Now that no one sells non-ethanol gas around me, I am using the 10-15% Ethanol blends. The 5% water of the 10% blend, which isn't a whole lot, will at some point cause corrosion in your injectors and that corrosion will clog your injectors at some point. If you have injectors with stainless steel cores then you will not experience this problem, which may be why you have not ran into the problem.
I was alway told that ethanol broke down the epoxy that the injector coils were incased in with Multec injectors, because they weren't ethanol complient this would cause them to short out. This is what I have always heard stated when ever a discussion on Multec injectors came up.I have never heard anyone ever mention water being the problem including Jon of Fuel Injector Connection the injector guru on this site.If you listen to the injector video at the top of the Tech page (MORE BAD MULTECS (COMMON PROBLEM), the coils shorting out is what Jon says is the problem with the Multecs.WW

<

Last edited by WW7; 03-31-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Millah
He found proof! My 89 runs 10 times better since I dumped the Multecs. They did have a ton of miles on them. Injector technology has improved since 1989.
about the technology part. I`m running Ford 5.0 "pink top" injectors in my `87 for the last 5 years. Runs great.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by surfer92
If ethonal was so bad for Multitecs, 100% of Chevy car and trucks w/them would have gone bad that had them and I do not see that.
My van has Multitecs and is still running strong and my 92 has them and it runs great, so until you have proof, I am not going to believe you.
All multecs don't have this problem, I believe its just the years from 89 to 91. There are other years out there that never see any problems.If you watch the FIC videos at the top of the tech section you will learn alot from someone that knows about injectors, then you don't have to (Believe Us)...WW

Last edited by WW7; 04-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 fuel injectors bad?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by WW7
All multecs don't have this problem, I believe its just the years from 89 to 91. There are other years out there that never see any problems.If you watch the FIC videos at the top of the tech section you will learn alot from someone that knows about injectors, then you don't have to (Believe Us)...WW

Had a 89 w/179k miles and my 90 van had over 210k miles and still going on multitecs, if this is such a problem, GM would have put out atleast a TSB on them.
Not doubting them going bad, they are 20+ years old, heck if I replace plugs w 10-15k miles on the car, it will run better, that is not proof, I want to see where someone ran them for x miles and they broke down because of ethonal.
I was on the f-body forum and do not see near the beefs w/multitec's and they use the same injector.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Millah
Racer

Ok now that we have all bumped heads. Where did the hot chick with the black vette go?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 PM
jmartynuska
Instructor

I had a set of stock replacement Multecs go bad in less than 6 months. 5 of 8. There is a different injector GM uses for warranty work. Those are currently in my car and running fine.

The Corvette injector was not used in the van lines - just F and Y bodies. '92 Corvettes used a different injector - first year for LT1.

My '97 LT1 Trans Am has no injector issues. I can't speak for the 3rd gen CamaroBirds - I don't have any experience with them.

1992 is not a suspect year for Corvettes. Neither is '88, I've looked at those, different injector, as are the '90 ZR1 injectors.

The stock '89-'91 Multecs are that bad....

Quick Reply: 1989 fuel injectors bad?