C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I want a new ECM

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 PM
STH
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I want a new ECM

I知 tired of fighting the old ECM in my 90 model six-speed TPI Corvette.

So I知 looking for an aftermarket ECM to run the motor. A little background first; Edelbrock intake with big tube runners (yes I know its choking the engine) 383 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, LT4 cam, longtube headers and dual exhaust with no cats. So far I have narrowed the search to two units; the FAST XFI and the Holley Commander 950.

Which one is the easer one to tune, which one will be the easiest to start the engine with the first time?

Another question; I want to upgrade the intake to Miniram or a Stealth Ram. I know the Miniram will fit under the stock hood, but the Stealth Ram won稚. How have you guys modified your hoods to work with the Stealth Ram? Let痴 see some pictures. Are or there any other suggestion for a new intake?

Thanks
Steve
Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Most people who do the stealthram don't mod the hoods, they mod the stealth ram. There is a thread on here about a DIY stealthram mod that turned out nicely if I remember right.

SuperRam is another option. Offers good torque and pulls to 5300-5500 rpm (don't quote me) on a 350.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Suggestion on the intake? I went Mini-Ram on the 415 I built for the 86 I had. I had been running siamesed base, aftermarket runners and opened TPI plenum; opened as much as I could with my Makita grinder.

MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Felt like I'd added a second engine under the hood.

Jake
Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
STH
Racer

Eighty-two looks and only two replys.

Come on Guys; someone must have some info on the best ECM.....
Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
0KEN W ANDERSON
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STH
Eighty-two looks and only two replys.

Come on Guys; someone must have some info on the best ECM.....
We sell Delphi reman computers. GMautocomputers.com
Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM
SloRvette
Drifting

Cruise-In VII Veteran

The best ECM is the one you're going to get the best support for. Neither of those companies internal support is very good. You're going to be relying on the support of the dealer you're buying from. Personally I have an XFI in my car. It works well and I've been using their products since before they were FAST. Lately I been doing a lot with Bigstuff 3 systems. Holley has a couple of new systems out that look interesting. The Commander 950 not being one of them.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Originally Posted by SloRvette
The best ECM is the one you're going to get the best support for. Neither of those companies internal support is very good. You're going to be relying on the support of the dealer you're buying from. Personally I have an XFI in my car. It works well and I've been using their products since before they were FAST. Lately I been doing a lot with Bigstuff 3 systems. Holley has a couple of new systems out that look interesting. The Commander 950 not being one of them.
I am running a Acell Gen 7 system, there are some good things about it and some bad. Virtually no support
Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

If you have a local shop that sells EFI stuff and they also tune them buy what they support. The best system is the one that everything is tuned well because someone knows how to make that system work. Pay full retail or whatever they ask if below retail and ask if you have a problem would they give you some pointers.. Saving a few hundred bucks through internet shopping is money poorly spent. Not knowing what to do with the new one is the same as not knowing what to do with the old except your wallet is lighter.. For low end systems I am a big fan of a Haltech sport 2000 or a DFI gen VII for a street car or bracket etc.. I am a WD for several systems and given a choice a Motec M800 would be my first best choice with data logging and dual wide band internal to the unit. Saying that it is too expensive for my own C4 I am not going to put 8k in electronics in my 10k car..LOL..
Old 08-10-2010, 05:49 PM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with STH. Why can't someone make a computer with all new 21st Century processors, software, etc., in the original/stock case? I, myself, have replaced the ECM in my car, with a re-built unit, and am not convinced that this one is running right. Let's face it, at the time my car was made, a desktop computer only had about 100 MEGAbytes of memory, and now they're what, 5 GIGAbytes?

Question: Is a "re-manufactured" ECM a re-progammed unit or has it been completely gutted and new circuitry, processors, etc. added? Does anyone know?

Mike
'90 'vert
Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by j-wireman
I agree with STH. Why can't someone make a computer with all new 21st Century processors, software, etc., in the original/stock case? (snipped)

Mike
'90 'vert
Because it is not a 21 century problem. The amount of compute power needed is very little. 6000 rpm is only 100 Hz. Most of themm are parallel processors as well with a built in timing module the A/D converters have there own and run independantly pushing data to the proper locations etc... It takes orders of magnitude more processing power to put a jpg pic on your screen than run your car.

Download the software for a Motec M800 it is free and the software used to program the system. See what you think about current software after that. It is dual wide band drive by wire traction control onboard data logging and I can set up a correction table for anything.. A simple one would be to change the rev limit vs. engine temp Vs. oil pressure... Boost vs. throttle position the list is endless..
Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a FAST Classic system. The car hasnt been started yet, but it's getting close. We had some issues with the computer, and FAST was able to assist me with those issues.

I am impressed so far with FAST.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
STH
Racer

I have the opportunity to buy an unused FAST Classic System from a friend who never used it, what is the difference between the older FAST systems and the XFI? Is it easier to tune the newer XFI are is it the same with the older FAST system?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM
0KEN W ANDERSON
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by j-wireman
I agree with STH. Why can't someone make a computer with all new 21st Century processors, software, etc., in the original/stock case? I, myself, have replaced the ECM in my car, with a re-built unit, and am not convinced that this one is running right. Let's face it, at the time my car was made, a desktop computer only had about 100 MEGAbytes of memory, and now they're what, 5 GIGAbytes?

Question: Is a "re-manufactured" ECM a re-progammed unit or has it been completely gutted and new circuitry, processors, etc. added? Does anyone know?

Mike
'90 'vert
We know, and each computer we reman is tested with original Delphi (The original OEM) test equipment and checked with a master eprom for 40 pass/fail codes and all components are checked and are repired/replaced if needed. The computer is then loaded with the latest GM software for that year and tested again. What you guys don't realize is a 30 year old computer that was only designed for a 5 year life, tends to degrade over time and even if your car is running, it needs to be "reflashed", as GM released updates for each ECM/PCM for 5 YEARS after your car was built. These updates were to correct "field issues" such as speedo correction, mileage issues, hot start problems,
driveability issues, etc. GMautocomputers.com
Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM
SloRvette
Drifting

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by STH
I have the opportunity to buy an unused FAST Classic System from a friend who never used it, what is the difference between the older FAST systems and the XFI? Is it easier to tune the newer XFI are is it the same with the older FAST system?
They're very similar tuning wise. The XFI has a faster processor with additional features the classic doesn't have. FAST no longer repairs the classic boxes If something goes wrong in the future.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by KEN W ANDERSON
We know, and each computer we reman is tested with original Delphi (The original OEM) test equipment and checked with a master eprom for 40 pass/fail codes and all components are checked and are repired/replaced if needed. The computer is then loaded with the latest GM software for that year and tested again. What you guys don't realize is a 30 year old computer that was only designed for a 5 year life, tends to degrade over time and even if your car is running, it needs to be "reflashed", as GM released updates for each ECM/PCM for 5 YEARS after your car was built. These updates were to correct "field issues" such as speedo correction, mileage issues, hot start problems,
driveability issues, etc. GMautocomputers.com
Just as I thought no 1992 or 1993 ECM
Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM
0KEN W ANDERSON
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Just as I thought no 1992 or 1993 ECM
We rebuild 2-3 of the 92/93 ECM every WEEK! There will not be an aftermarket ECM for probably any 90's up car due to the amount of time reqired to decode the original software. By 92 there was over 300,000 man hours into writing all the code for an ECM.

Last edited by KEN W ANDERSON; 08-12-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Add material

Get notified of new replies

To I want a new ECM

Quick Reply: I want a new ECM