C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What sensor is this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Bensons86
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

ordered the one from oreilleys and it didn't fit. The diameter of the thread was too small to fit into that hole in the head. Thiis is so frustrating.

edit: Also, I have another similar hole on the other passenger head. Is this also for a temp sensor? I have a green wire on that side that just has a slip connector on it, rather than the pigtail. Is this the wire that attaches to this sensor?

Last edited by Bensons86; 10-30-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 AM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sensor probley is correct,its your heads that are the problem.You said that the heads are upgraded heads right?If so what heads are they?Any part numbers stamped on the head you can read?Maybe the heads are slightly different from your stock heads?If you have your stock heads see if the hole size is the same.If hole is too big might have to install some type of threaded insert so the sensor can be installed in that location.Keep us posted
Old 10-31-2010, 10:38 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bensons86
ordered the one from oreilleys and it didn't fit. The diameter of the thread was too small to fit into that hole in the head. Thiis is so frustrating.

edit: Also, I have another similar hole on the other passenger head. Is this also for a temp sensor? I have a green wire on that side that just has a slip connector on it, rather than the pigtail. Is this the wire that attaches to this sensor?
Go to your local parts store and buy the correct brass bushing, to make the fan switch fit. You may need a 1/2" X 3/8" NPT bushing or 3/8" X 1/4" NPT bushing. Not sure what you dealing with, but stock should be a 3/8" NPT switch.

The other head holds the temp gauge sender, and yes, it's a single green wire with a blade receptacle.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:20 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Order the correct switch from your dealer. I believe this is the part number, but have your dealer verify:

GM# 14043276

AC Delco# D1852B

Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Bensons86
Racer

well...this is weird. I posted earlier this morning, but my post disappeared.

Anyways, I left the sensors at the shop, but looked at my old heads today (which I have here) and it looks like the hole is in deed smaller on the originals. Thanks for the tip on that guys. I just assumed they would be the same. Once I find an adapter, I will post to let you know if it got put together. I can' tmake it back to the car til friday though, so it might be a minute. Thanks again for the help.

Josh...that is the correct part number, as I just got that number from my dealer on Friday. I was also looking at the sensor for the other side of the head. Would you believe that the dealer wanted $67 for that sensor? Thats crazy stuff.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Bensons86
Racer

Everything looks great guys. Thanks again for the tip. Hopefully the car will be done this weekend....just before the cold weather sets in.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:48 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually, you don't need it, so you can put a pipe plug in the hole if you want to. From the Factory, the ECM is going to drive (ground) the Main Fan Relay at 226 degrees and that signal is from the thermistor or Coolant Temp Sensor screwed into the intake manifold below the throttle body (unless the a/c is on at which point it will drive the Fan when the High Side hits 230 psi). Individuals do buy these "lower temperature" fan switches that can work independently of the ECM or be spliced into the ECM circuit - The Main Relay is at Pin C1 - and crank on the fan (non a/c) at a lower temp. Whatever you do, don't override a/c control or the fan might not come on until a hose ruptures and blows a hole in the hood.

Quick Reply: What sensor is this?