C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power wash (Car wash) suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:16 PM
xphnmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power wash (Car wash) suspension?

I'm getting ready to replace the rotors and pads on my 94 (Front and Rear) and think I could avoid some of the mess if I took the car to the local 25 cent car wash and sprayed the area to got some of the built up road grime off. Is there any danger of damaging the wheel speed sensors doing this? I'm thinking that if I do this it would be safer to take some rags or plastic bags and block off the shock mounting area to the engine and leave the engine running while doing this. Has anyone done this safely? I would regrease the ball joints and anything else with a zerk fitting afterwards.

Last edited by xphnmn; 10-09-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I personally would not have the engine running while washing the car. To clean off the suspension spray some simple green on all of the parts (but not the springs themselves) let everything set for 60 seconds, wipe down with rags and then use a garden hose to throughly wash off the simple green. It's really not necessary to blast everything with a pressure washer.

You can use the car wash pressure washer if you want but pre-spraying with simple green will get way more of the grease and grime off than just "really blasting it" with the pressure washer. And what ever you do do not pressure wash the front of the engine .... as you probably know .... this will get moisture into your unvented opti spark and cause issues later on.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:05 PM
xphnmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
I personally would not have the engine running while washing the car. To clean off the suspension spray some simple green on all of the parts (but not the springs themselves) let everything set for 60 seconds, wipe down with rags and then use a garden hose to throughly wash off the simple green. It's really not necessary to blast everything with a pressure washer.

You can use the car wash pressure washer if you want but pre-spraying with simple green will get way more of the grease and grime off than just "really blasting it" with the pressure washer. And what ever you do do not pressure wash the front of the engine .... as you probably know .... this will get moisture into your unvented opti spark and cause issues later on.
No plans to spray in the engine compartment at all. I've dusted under there and the results were very good. Under there I used some simple green sprayed on a rag and some WD40 also sprayed on a rag.The front cover looks pretty dirty but I don't want to chance ANYTHING causing problems with the optispark. Replacing that would be something I'll do only if the orginal starts giving me problems. Thanks for the tip on prespraying with Simple Green and shutting the engine off.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:59 PM
bwiencek
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've power washed almost everything I own that I have to do any work on..... There's nothing wrong with power washing the suspension down and really nothing to worry about getting wet out there. If you're using a gas powered power washer and it has a '0*' straight tip you can damage things as it's like a water jet and can cut everything in sight, but the commercial you-wash-it type places fan out the water and are relatively safe.

I like using a degreaser first ( simple green, engine degreaser, purple power, etc.) , let it sit and soak in for a while then hit it with the pressure washer - if the ball-joint boots are torn already then a pressure wash will just point out the fact that they need to be replaced real soon anyhow...

If you're worried about the opti - lay a couple of towels over that area to get any errant spray - but you'll be primarily spraying out on the other side of the inner fender / splash shield so not much water should get in there...
Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Shut her down and spray the crap off!
Make sure you cover the opti and DO NOT get it wet!

Use common sense when hitting brake lines and other wires.
When all is apart use some air to clean off the ABS sensors.

Clean is good. It shows you care.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:56 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

it would be nice...if...you could go in after hours and drive up on a couple of plastic wheel ramps.

p.s. I'm a real believer in power washing first, working last. Factor in a nice long drive after the wash down.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by xphnmn
I'm getting ready to replace the rotors and pads on my 94 (Front and Rear) and think I could avoid some of the mess if I took the car to the local 25 cent car wash and sprayed the area to got some of the built up road grime off. Is there any danger of damaging the wheel speed sensors doing this? I'm thinking that if I do this it would be safer to take some rags or plastic bags and block off the shock mounting area to the engine and leave the engine running while doing this. Has anyone done this safely? I would regrease the ball joints and anything else with a zerk fitting afterwards.
I do it regularly, and no harm will come of it. What will happen is that your front suspension will end up being really clean. Engine running or not...doesn't matter.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Protect the opti! I'd use the simple green approach!
Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 PM
0ChandlerMotorsports
Former Vendor

In the preservation thread, a member added that they experienced an opti failure with a standard wash at the air driers at the end. I think generally if you haven't had any leakage on the seals it should be fine with any of this. Mainly you just have to worry about power washing under the hood. Anything else is fairly safe, sans driving through a huge puddle.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:18 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple green is the best stuff ever!

Get notified of new replies

To Power wash (Car wash) suspension?

Quick Reply: Power wash (Car wash) suspension?