C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Drivetrain slop is gone, but.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Thomastp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivetrain slop is gone, but.....

I have a 1994 6 speed coupe. I have been chasing the "Drivetrain Slop" for a while. All the u joints were replaced. The rear hubs were replaced. I still had a slight clunk upon adding and removing throttle. The clunk was in the area at the real of the transmission. So... I decided to replace the slip yoke and tailshaft bushing in the transmission. While the driveshaft was out I had it balanced. With everything back together all the slop is gone in the drivetain. No more clunks. But....I now have a vibration that wasn't there before. You can feel it in the floor form 70 mph on up. I indexed the driveshaft and that didn't help. The slip yoke goes in nice and smooth. I'm thinking about removing the new slip yoke and putting in the old one. I can't figure out what caused the vibration. I saw the shaft being balanced and it looked perfect. Something is causing a vibration. It wasn't there before I started. Any Ideas??
Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I had to re balance my tires once, and the over 70 stuff went away
Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Thomastp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vibration wasn't there before I started. I had my tires road force balanced in the spring. There is a distinct feeling to a tire imbalance but this is different.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you threw a weight off the driveshaft or whoever balanced it did not do it properly.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Bring the driveshaft and the slip yoke back to the balancer and have them check the balance on the whole assembly.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,431 Likes on 944 Posts

Are you sure C4 driveshafts are neutral balanced? I'm wrestling with a balance problem right now on a driveshaft I had made for me by a local driveshaft shop, and have been reading the FSM on this topic. It makes a point of instructing that the shaft should be installed with the paint mark on the shaft 180* opposite from the paint mark on the pinion shaft, saying that "This aligns the light side of the propeller shaft with the heavy side of the pinion yoke, minimizing residual unbalance." This certainly implies that the factory shafts are not neutral balanced, but I'd love to have a reliable confirmation on this one way or the other, as I don't think I can solve my problem without knowing this, and I suspect you can't, either.

Live well,

SJW

Get notified of new replies

To Drivetrain slop is gone, but.....

Quick Reply: Drivetrain slop is gone, but.....