C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Reman master cylinder from Autozone leaking through connector...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
FLA-C3
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Reman master cylinder from Autozone leaking through connector...

I searched locally for a new AC Delco replacement when the master cylinder in the '88 went bad. But no one had them so I went with a remanufactured "Fenco" from Autozone. Backing out of the garage after bench bleeding, installing and bleeding all four corners, the pedal went right to the floor. Raised the hood and the front reservoir is half empty....discovered fluid is leaking out of the pins of the warning connector.

I don't know if I'll have better luck with a reman from NAPA. Or, if I should I just hit Ebay for a new AC Delco for $300 at this point.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 198 Likes on 172 Posts

It is a pain in the a** to do the job again but it has to be done. Those things do happen with a reman but not very much. I have been there myself and its a bummer (water pump).

I personally would just trade it back for another unit and finish the job. You will probably be OK but if a second occurance happened then I would move on and get another unit elsewhere.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

are you talking bout the pins of the electrical connector?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 PM
FLA-C3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
are you talking bout the pins of the electrical connector?
Yes, fluid was actually squirting out from the pins or around the pins inside the white connector on the side of the master cylinder....
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 198 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA-C3
Yes, fluid was actually squirting out from the pins or around the pins inside the white connector on the side of the master cylinder....
Offhand it sounds like the proportional valve is leaking and it is coming out of the switch/connector terminal. The switch will activate if the valve goes too far to one side due to an imbalance (front - rear) in pressure like if one reservoir goes dry. That is pretty uncommon, something must have gone wrong during the reassembly of the master.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

possibly put a new switch in, if it takes presure to activate it and its leaking thru it and not arround it. My rebuilt M/C from O'Rielys came with a new switch
Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 PM
FLA-C3
Safety Car

possibly put a new switch in, if it takes presure to activate it and its leaking thru it and not arround it. My rebuilt M/C from O'Rielys came with a new switch
Well, I just made calls to several suppliers in search of either a new pressure switch or new ACDelco master cylinder. I was told by most everyone that both items have been on backorder for upwards of seven months now. Corvette America says they have one new master cylinder left on the shelf priced at $385. The two sellers that have them listed on the auction site are actually out of stock also. Guess I'll just let it sit while I work on the '73 for now...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

ecklers, zip, mid america, all have that switch in stock all in the $20 range

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 04-11-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 PM
FLA-C3
Safety Car

ecklers, zip, mid america, all have that switch in stock all in the $20 range
I actually called all of them and several more. Even though their websites show them as being in stock, they're all out...same goes for the new master cylinders. But each said they expect delivery within the next couple months.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

sorry bout that, I should've done more than just look at the catologes

Get notified of new replies

To Reman master cylinder from Autozone leaking through connector...

Quick Reply: Reman master cylinder from Autozone leaking through connector...